Ageing Gracefully

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Ageing Gracefully

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:39 am

It’s 4-5 months until Garrison and I want to brew my robust porter and age it.

I haven’t aged a beer before and from what I remember reading about it, it’s the darker stronger beers that do well, like barley wines. What I read was about selecting beers to age …beers that had already been made, but how do you brew a beer for ageing? Also I still need to know more about how to age.

Should I brew as usual, chill and force carb as usual, and then bottle and put in the basement for a few months? I’d like to force carb this one if possible.

Do I want to let the beer clear in the keezer before bottling, or do I want yeast in the bottles?

Any other tips would be great.

Thanks.
Last edited by GuingesRock on Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by Keith » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:13 am

I don't see any benefit of transferring any sediment if you don't have to.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by McGruff » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:06 am

Any reason you don't want to bottle condition your Porter? I thought it would age better this way.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:12 am

I wondered whether that's an advantage. I just want to keep it simple and controlled and don't have enough experience with bottle priming. But what you said makes me wonder if I should bottle while it is still cloudy and hasn't cleared. Leave it in the keezer just maybe long enough to carbonate, then bottle and move to the basement.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by Keith » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 am

If you are force carbonating and filling with a beer gun, there would be no benefit to bottling cloudy. If you can bottle clear and carbonated, you probably serve a better chance of scoring higher on the appearance. If you are pouring sediment from the bottle into the beer that will be suspended again. Chances are you will lose some points based on this style. However it is dark enough you may not notice it.

I'm going to try to bottle off 10 of each keg and submit what I think is the best.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:09 am

I'm not sure Keith. If there's some yeast in there it might scavenge some 02 and keep working a little in the basement. There won't be any more sediment than a bottle conditioned beer.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by RubberToe » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:26 am

Regarding the difference of leaving it in the keg or bottling it now, one thing that comes to mind is the temperature and the effect that has on aging.

One is cold conditioning, one is not assuming your bottles will be on a shelf outside of the fridge. If it's in bottles you can move them where / when you like.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:35 am

RubberToe wrote:Regarding the difference of leaving it in the keg or bottling it now, one thing that comes to mind is the temperature and the effect that has on aging.

One is cold conditioning, one is not assuming your bottles will be on a shelf outside of the fridge. If it's in bottles you can move them where / when you like.
Thanks. I was planning to have it in the keg and keezer just long enough to force carb, then I was going to bottle with the Blichmann gun and put it in the basement around 12C for a few months.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 pm

I secondary ferment in kegs with shortened dip tubes for a week before chilling and force carbing. It goes in the keg maybe after 4 days when the yeast has settled down.

I could actually force carb at room temperature at 30 PSI during that week of secondary fermentation. Then I could bottle and put in the basement for ageing. Does anyone have any thoughts about what would happen if I force carbonated during secondary fermentation at room temperature?

I'll brew another batch closer to the time. I think you can put in 2 entries to the Garrison ...just in case this ageing/force carbing idea doesn't work.

I brewed the first batch today, so any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I don't think it will work as I won't be able to bottle room temperature beer with the Blichmann gun; It will foam right out of the bottles.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by Keith » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Did you end up Brewing your entry for Garrison Mark?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:17 pm

Keith wrote:Did you end up Brewing your entry for Garrison Mark?
Yes. I brewed it on the 29th Oct. It's in the kegs in the keezer, it's nice, I should have given you a glass when you were here. I'm still undecided how to age it. I'm thinking I might bottle up one keg this weekend and age half of the bottles in the fridge and half in the basement. I'll keep the other keg on tap. I named it Chocolate Orange, based on its flavours, and it's supposed to be seasonal.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:28 pm

I'm making a barley wine next week. I still don't understand ageing. I commandeered the basement freezer this morning and will put a controller on it, so I could age the bottles in there, or would it be better just in the basement?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by amartin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:53 pm

The basement is probably fine.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Ageing Gracefully

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:33 pm

amartin wrote:The basement is probably fine.
Thanks.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests