blowin' it off

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
storm beers
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:29 pm
Name: Alana

blowin' it off

Post by storm beers » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:38 pm

I've always fermented in a carboy with a blow off tube. I put the other end in a gallon jug partially filled with water. I've never had an infected batch or had any reason to think twice about it until I found a spider floating in the water jug last week. What does everyone else do? Jug of starsan, or jug of water?
Thanks

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: blowin' it off

Post by RubberToe » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:46 pm

Starsan here but it could also foam up and blow off. I just try not to fill it too high.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: blowin' it off

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:51 pm

I always use StarSan in my airlocks, but normally just water in my jug for blowoff.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: blowin' it off

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:11 pm

I use starsan in my blowoff jug here as well.

User avatar
mstead
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm
Name: Mike Stead
Location: Enfield, NS

Re: blowin' it off

Post by mstead » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:37 pm

Starsan in jug as well.

storm beers
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:29 pm
Name: Alana

Re: blowin' it off

Post by storm beers » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:01 pm

Awesome. Thanks guys. I'll be changing my ways next brew day.

User avatar
mackay85
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:53 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Cole Harbour, NS

Re: blowin' it off

Post by mackay85 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:05 pm

I use a growler and fill half with star san..bubbles up, but never had an issue.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 22 guests