I'm finally going electric.

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:50 pm

I'm finally going electric.

Post by Keggermeister » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:44 pm

I am finally going to bite the bullet and go electric! :spilly:
I just ordered 2 element guard kits from StillDragon. I am mulling over how much control I want to have. I am sourcing the rest of the stuff as the element kits ship.
Will be welding in ferrules. Will need to borrow a 2" knockout tool from someone...
I will be bugging you guys as I build it, to locate the best deals/quality.
That said, I am going 220V as it is pretty close to my panel and more power is... MORE POWER! Planning A GFCI Breaker addition, will likely wire in a switch and outlet close to where I brew.
Let's talk elements! What do you run and where did you get it?

That is all for now.

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Post by AllanMar » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:59 pm

I run a 4500W and a 5500W in each kettle (50A setup). Its overkill, but its fast!

Just the basic camco elements, got em from Amazon.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Post by mr x » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:25 am

I use 4700/4500 watt heatsticks I sourced off eBay. 5/8" OD, stainless.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Post by RubberToe » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:34 am

5500W ULWD Camco ripple element here. Amazon.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Post by LiverDance » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:45 am

RubberToe wrote:5500W ULWD Camco ripple element here. Amazon.
same here
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Post by Jimmy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:27 am

Camco 5500W ULWD Camco foldback.

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:12 am

Jimmy wrote:Camco 5500W ULWD Camco foldback.
Same, from Amazon

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Post by Tony L » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:59 pm

I so would like to go electric, but at the moment I'm afraid it is impossible for me to do.

Good on ya, Nick.

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:02 am

Starting to piece together items to go electric here as well. Considering the amount of time I have on my hands these days, I'm planning to order an assembled panel from eBrewSupply.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:26 am

If you don't want to make/buy a controller, you can use two elements for bringing to the boil and then turn one off when you get there and just use one to maintain the boil. In my case I am using the stove as one of the heat sources and a Boil Coil as the other. As soon as it gets to the boil I turn the stove off and the 2250 W 120V Boil Coil does a 12gal boil nicely.

The Brauemeister uses two heating elements. It must have a controller as well though.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: I'm finally going electric.

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:55 am

GuingesRock wrote:If you don't want to make/buy a controller, you can use two elements for bringing to the boil and then turn one off when you get there and just use one to maintain the boil. In my case I am using the stove as one of the heat sources and a Boil Coil as the other. As soon as it gets to the boil I turn the stove off and the 2250 W 120V Boil Coil does a 12gal boil nicely.

The Brauemeister uses two heating elements. It must have a controller as well though.
I believe the Braumeister does have a controller.

I'm looking for having much more control. One of the reasons I don't brew that often is that it's very difficult for me to find 5 solid hours to brew. With the eBrewSupply panel, I'll be able to monitor my brew day from my iPad, phone, etc. It'll let me fill up my HLT with water and make sure it's ready to go when I have time to mash in, etc. The panel uses the BCS embedded software.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 82 guests