Kolsch & Saison from same wort
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Kolsch & Saison from same wort
Hey everyone,
I'm planning on brewing a double batch and splitting the wort into a Kolsch and Saison. Belle Saison yeast and probably just US-05 for the kolsch.
Right now I'm thinking of this for the grain bill:
OG: 1.050 - 1.052
80% pilsner malt
10% wheat malt
10% Vienna malt
For the hops mostly Hallertau Tradition plus a bit of Styrian Goldings to get rid of them, 30 - 35 IBU with a small amount of late hops.
What do you think of this concept? I think it might work out.
-Rob
I'm planning on brewing a double batch and splitting the wort into a Kolsch and Saison. Belle Saison yeast and probably just US-05 for the kolsch.
Right now I'm thinking of this for the grain bill:
OG: 1.050 - 1.052
80% pilsner malt
10% wheat malt
10% Vienna malt
For the hops mostly Hallertau Tradition plus a bit of Styrian Goldings to get rid of them, 30 - 35 IBU with a small amount of late hops.
What do you think of this concept? I think it might work out.
-Rob
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- Woody
- Award Winner 4

- Posts: 1190
- Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
- Name: Derek
- Location: Truro, NS
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
US05 for a Kolsh? Maybe Dave has a WLP029 or NG a Wyeast 2565.
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
yeah us05 might make a light american pilsner or something, not really a kolsch. probably still a tasty light beer tho.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
While the US05 isn't a kolsch yeast, it is listed as a sub in the BCS recipe. I've used it and it does make a tasty kolsch "style" brew, fairly clear and crisp, just not really a kolsch. I like the concept of splitting the batch into a saison and a kolsch - looks good.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
Looks good to me.
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
Yeah, what leafman said. Not the same yeast character but clean at least. I'd prefer a kolsch or German ale yeast but given a tight timeframe this may have to do.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
Pitch high, oxygenate high, and ferment in the mid/low 50's. I'd mash low too, sure you have that covered anyway.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
Yup.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
I have a vial of kolsch yeast in the fridge if you want to pop out Rob.RubberToe wrote:Yeah, what leafman said. Not the same yeast character but clean at least. I'd prefer a kolsch or German ale yeast but given a tight timeframe this may have to do.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GAM
- Verified User

- Posts: 5429
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
- Name: Sandy MacNeil
- Location: North End HFX
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
Are you in Hfx today?
I may have Kolsh.
Sandy
I may have Kolsh.
Sandy
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
I'm in Bedford but thanks for the offer.GAM wrote:Are you in Hfx today?
I may have Kolsh.
Sandy
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
I'm in Sackville, 10 min away, come get the yeast!RubberToe wrote:I'm in Bedford but thanks for the offer.GAM wrote:Are you in Hfx today?
I may have Kolsh.
Sandy
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
Tempting offer... Not brewing until next week though.Keith wrote:I have a vial of kolsch yeast in the fridge if you want to pop out Rob.
You're home today?
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
Yep. Up for a coffee?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
I'm heading out that way at lunch to help someone move a car, PM time.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
-
GasMD30
- Verified User

- Posts: 401
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
- Name: Josh
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
This is a good link about Saisons and their yeastie beasties
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... house.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/20 ... house.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
Sounds pretty good, I was thinking about doing my "good beer for people who like bad beer" cream ale double batch next weekend and using US-05 in one and Saison II in the other.
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
Shout out to Keith for being awesome. I now have some kolsch yeast. 
This brew is on deck.
This brew is on deck.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Kolsch & Saison from same wort
RubberToe wrote:Shout out to Keith for being awesome. I now have some kolsch yeast.
This brew is on deck.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests