Keg Issue

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Keg Issue

Post by canuck » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:34 am

Gents, I have an keg issue that I wanted to bounce off of everyone. I dispense my beer in pin lock kegs that I deliver to the local pubs. I've had an issue a couple of times now that I can't seem to find out what is causing it. The issue is that the keg is pouring mostly foam. And just to give you a little background......

* I carb my beer in a brite tank and it doesn't get overcarbed
* I can switch out the keg that is pouring foam with another keg from the same batch and it pours fine at the customer's site
* The couple of kegs that have poured foam also seem to be holding pressure with no issues

I'm just at a loss as to what would cause this. It seems to be an issue with the keg itself, but I just don't know what that would be. If there was a small pinhole in the beverage dip tube, would that cause the line to pour foam? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Keg Issue

Post by Jimmy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:38 am

Could it be that the poppet isn't being depressed far enough on those particular kegs?

User avatar
whisle pig
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:07 pm
Name: Peter Welton
Location: Coldbrook, Annapolis Valley

Re: Keg Issue

Post by whisle pig » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:43 am

I agree with Jimmy, sounds like the kegs need new poppets, the springs are probably weak.
Crazymountainboybrewing

Fermenting:

Kegged:

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Keg Issue

Post by AllanMar » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:46 am

Yea, I had this issue before and it was poppets (universal type), had to cut some of the spring off. It was fairly obvious when you attempted to push the poppet down and it had a lot of resistance.

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: Keg Issue

Post by canuck » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:55 am

Excellent, thanks Gents! I've made a note as to what couple of kegs have given me the issue and will check out the poppets. :cheers:

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Keg Issue

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:18 pm

canuck wrote:Excellent, thanks Gents! I've made a note as to what couple of kegs have given me the issue and will check out the poppets. :cheers:
I number my kegs and if same keg foams up with two different beer, it gets special attention next cleaning cycle and new pieces where required.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: Keg Issue

Post by canuck » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:15 pm

Numbering the kegs is an excellent idea, especially since I have about 40 of them. Thanks Derek! :cheers:

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Keg Issue

Post by mr x » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:17 pm

A leak (pin hole) on the liquid out tube or inside oring will blow foam on you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: Keg Issue

Post by canuck » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:34 pm

mr x wrote:A leak (pin hole) on the liquid out tube or inside oring will blow foam on you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Thanks Rob. A pin hole in the beverage dip tube was kinda the first thing that I thought of. Swapping out dip tubes from another keg will be a good place to start.

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: Keg Issue

Post by canuck » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Replaced the entire beverage post and dip tube from a known working keg and it's still pouring foam. Hmmmmm.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Keg Issue

Post by mr x » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:23 pm

hmmmm, a pinhole leak at the base of the post where it is welded to the keg?
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
whisle pig
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:07 pm
Name: Peter Welton
Location: Coldbrook, Annapolis Valley

Re: Keg Issue

Post by whisle pig » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:30 pm

Make sure that all 3 pins on the "out" are not bent , have had a keg before that got knocked over with the "out" connector attached and it bent one pin slightly. You could still put the connector on and off but caused it not to push the poppet down even and caused it to foam. Just needed to replace that out post.
Crazymountainboybrewing

Fermenting:

Kegged:

User avatar
dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am
Name: Phil
Location: Halifax

Re: Keg Issue

Post by dexter » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:35 pm

canuck wrote:Numbering the kegs is an excellent idea, especially since I have about 40 of them. Thanks Derek! :cheers:

I swear by wax pencils for naming and numbering kegs and carboys.

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Keg Issue

Post by AllanMar » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:14 pm

canuck wrote:Replaced the entire beverage post and dip tube from a known working keg and it's still pouring foam. Hmmmmm.
When I had this issue, it ended up being the gas post poppet (not sure in the logic there, but it seemed to fix it for me). Be a quick thing to try.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Keg Issue

Post by GuingesRock » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Shane, you have to solve this one. I'm racking my brains. I sent a pm to OBK Patrick to see if he knows. He knows some way out kegging stuff.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Keg Issue

Post by GuingesRock » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:26 pm

AllanMar wrote:
canuck wrote:Replaced the entire beverage post and dip tube from a known working keg and it's still pouring foam. Hmmmmm.
When I had this issue, it ended up being the gas post poppet (not sure in the logic there, but it seemed to fix it for me). Be a quick thing to try.
I've been trying to crack this one (why changing the gas poppet might be the fix), and I think I might have it (see below). Might be worth trying Alan's suggestion and changing out the gas post, it may be impeding the CO2 going into the keg leading to foaming.
Contrary to popular belief, foaming is caused by low Co2 pressure, not by high Co2 pressure. Most foaming is a result of your Co2 regulator being set under 8 lbs of pressure. Occasionally it is also caused by a partial blockage of the outlet hose or connectors.
http://www.baderbrewing.com/articles/co ... structions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

OntarioBeerkegs
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:19 pm
Name: Patrick Walker

Re: Keg Issue

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:06 pm

Sorry kegs are simple and this thread covers all the culprits I would think of.If the beer is freshly kegged it may be process. Does the problem go away on it's own if hook it up to gas and leave it alone for a while? Here are two issues I have seen before similar to your issue and the fix.

-Using return lines to fill kegs and the return lines are bent or poppet not depressing all the way. (do not use return lines to fill. Same hose all kegs)

-Using freshly washed (hot) kegs hot off the washer because ran out of prepped ones. (keep more kegs ready)

-The guy changing the kegs is rolling it to the fridge. Don't roll it.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Keg Issue

Post by Jimmy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:12 pm

Had a poppet issue on a keg tonight. I fucked with it for a while and finally decided to change the poppet. All is good now. The poppet that came out looked fine, so I'm not sure what the issue was.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Keg Issue

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:28 pm

Jimmy wrote:Had a poppet issue on a keg tonight. I fucked with it for a while and finally decided to change the poppet. All is good now. The poppet that came out looked fine, so I'm not sure what the issue was.
I'm not saying a thing :)
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Keg Issue

Post by Keith » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:32 pm

First for everything eh Mark. Lol
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Keg Issue

Post by Jimmy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:38 pm

GuingesRock wrote:
Jimmy wrote:Had a poppet issue on a keg tonight. I fucked with it for a while and finally decided to change the poppet. All is good now. The poppet that came out looked fine, so I'm not sure what the issue was.
I'm not saying a thing :)
What do you mean? It was actually a factory poppet. I changed it to a universal :D

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Keg Issue

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:44 pm

What kind of "poppet issue?" did you spray the ceiling with beer, or lose a keg full of beer into the keezer and empty a CO2 tank to boot? or was it just a minor case of "poppet issue" this time. :D
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Keg Issue

Post by Jimmy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:46 pm

GuingesRock wrote:What kind of "poppet trouble" did you spray the ceiling with beer, or lose a keg full of beer into the keezer and empty a CO2 tank to boot? or was it just a minor case of "poppet trouble" this time. :D
Beer was foaming no matter what I tried. I forced the factory poppet out thinking it may be clogged with hops or something, but it was clean. Installed universal poppet and it worked perfect.

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Keg Issue

Post by RubberToe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:54 pm

Did you try the factory one again after messing with it?
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests