Chill Haze (Should I Filter?)
-
erslar00
- Verified User

- Posts: 388
- Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:39 am
Re: I may filter a batch :(
I'd be interested in know if Gelatin works on a carbonated beer. I have used successfully before carbonation but I have my doubts about how well it will function after carbonation.
-
the-mailman
- Verified User

- Posts: 238
- Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm
- Name: Bruce Mailman
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: I may filter a batch :(
Good article, thanks.Celiacbrew wrote:http://www.craftbrewing.org.uk/index.php/beerhazes
This article might help you understand some of the causes of hazes and how the fining agents help to remove them.
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner
In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty
Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime.
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner
In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty
Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime.
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: I may filter a batch :(
Funny you ask, it actually works great in a carbonated beer but can cause some bad foaming issues after you add it. So be ready to cap the keg quick. I forgot to gelatin my last batch of IPA and added it after it was fully carbed. It foamed like crazy before i got the cap on but the beer still ended up crystal clear and no worse for the wear from oxidation (it won gold in the category and silver BOS from a BC comp in the fall)erslar00 wrote:I'd be interested in know if Gelatin works on a carbonated beer. I have used successfully before carbonation but I have my doubts about how well it will function after carbonation.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: I may filter a batch :(
Mark, what's your gelatin technique please?mcgster wrote:Funny you ask, it actually works great in a carbonated beer but can cause some bad foaming issues after you add it. So be ready to cap the keg quick. I forgot to gelatin my last batch of IPA and added it after it was fully carbed. It foamed like crazy before i got the cap on but the beer still ended up crystal clear and no worse for the wear from oxidation (it won gold in the category and silver BOS from a BC comp in the fall)erslar00 wrote:I'd be interested in know if Gelatin works on a carbonated beer. I have used successfully before carbonation but I have my doubts about how well it will function after carbonation.
ps, I used tap water for this one without mineral additions.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: I may filter a batch :(
Pretty basic, 200ml's water heated in the microwave to 140F. I add the gelatin at this point unlike most people who add it in the cold water. Then i heat it again to around 150 and stir vigorously. Then i just dump it right in the keg. I always add it to the keg just because it is easier to chill them to a super low temp.
I try to add it as close to 1C as i can.
I try to add it as close to 1C as i can.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: I may filter a batch :(
Thanks, How much gelatin?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: I may filter a batch :(
1tsp to 200ml water. I haven't really played with adjusting the amount I have just always had good luck with this amount.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
the-mailman
- Verified User

- Posts: 238
- Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm
- Name: Bruce Mailman
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: I may filter a batch :(
Just make sure you use unflavoured gelatin, although I've seen lobster beer so chicken or beef flavoured beer might be drinkable too.
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner
In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty
Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime.
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner
In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty
Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime.
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: I may filter a batch :(
I've only used it in carbonated beer. but I've only used it 6 or 7 times. Honestly chill haze when it appears doesn't bother me anymore.erslar00 wrote:I'd be interested in know if Gelatin works on a carbonated beer. I have used successfully before carbonation but I have my doubts about how well it will function after carbonation.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: I may filter a batch :(
Enough already. It looks like gelatin is the way to go. I'm picking up some gelatin on my way home and will try it in the keg that didn't get the isinglass. Thanks for the help. Will update.

-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: I may filter a batch :(
I picked up some unflavoured Knox gelatine on the way home, from the grocery store. It was $2.99 for a box of 4 sachets, each sachet was one tablespoon. I sanitized a Pyrex jug with Starsan and also put the thermometer probe in a glass of Starsan. I then put 200mls of tap water in the jug and stirred in 1 teaspoon (using a measuring spoon) of gelatine with the thermometer probe. Then I heated in the microwave in 10 second increments, stirring using the thermometer probe between each 10 second increment, until the temperature got to between 145 – 150F. Then I sprayed the top of the keg with starsan, took the lid off the keg and threw it in the Starsan bucket and poured in the gelatine solution. There was quite a lot of foaming, but the keg was only 2/3 full, so no issues. I replaced the lid and purged the head space with CO2. Then keeping the base of the keg on the floor, I swirled the top of the keg around and around a few times to stir it in, then back into the keezer.
That’s a combination of the methods described above. Thanks again for the help, and I hope I did it reasonably right. Picture of clear pilsner to follow in a few days …hopefully.
That’s a combination of the methods described above. Thanks again for the help, and I hope I did it reasonably right. Picture of clear pilsner to follow in a few days …hopefully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: Chill Haze (Sould I Filter?)
I think I use 1/2 sachet per 5 gallons. I boil the water to deoxidise and let it cool to 150 or so before adding the gelatin, allow it to bloom, stir, dump in cold crashed primary. It works best in chilled beer since there's already haze for it to grab onto right away before settling out.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
-
mthibodeau
- Verified User

- Posts: 572
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
- Name: Marc Thibodeau
- Location: Beaver Bank, NS
Re: Chill Haze (Should I Filter?)
I was doing some reading on this in the Hombrewers companion, and according to him if you do need to filter out chill haze you will need to go to 0.5 micron or less
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
- mikeorr
- Award Winner 3

- Posts: 582
- Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
- Name: Michael Orr
- Location: Middle Sackville
Re: Chill Haze (Should I Filter?)
/bump
Did the gelatin work?
Did the gelatin work?
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Chill Haze (Should I Filter?)
It got 50% clearer. I'm still waiting, and waiting.mikeorr wrote:/bump
Did the gelatin work?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Chill Haze (Should I Filter?)
It finally cleared, and so did the keg with isinglass. I think it was just time, and not the gelatin/isinglass. I bottled it up today. The cloudy version (before the gelatin was added) got a first at Olds.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests