FWH Experiment.
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: FWH Experiment.
I'd love to try a taste of this. Seems like a very interesting experiment.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
Maybe we could arrange to get a sample for the next Halifax meeting.GuingesRock wrote:OG 1.064, anticipated 1.061. I tasted the OG sample and I think this is going to be a go.
I’d like to get some out there for feedback when it's ready (I was thinking feedback either on this thread, or by PM). Denislemieux, Sandy, RubberToe, X, redoubt, CorneliusAlphonse, jeffsmith, Jimmy, seem like they may be interested, and I’d like to get some to them if they want to try it. If anyone else would like to try some let me know. I can mail out half a dozen or so, and maybe if Nash would agree, I can get some to the RB, or maybe there’s some other suitable distribution point.
If I don’t like it, I’ll call it all off though. I have a reputation to keep up …or at least I think I do
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
Agreed!jeffsmith wrote:I'd love to try a taste of this. Seems like a very interesting experiment.
- dexter
- Verified User

- Posts: 994
- Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am
- Name: Phil
- Location: Halifax
Re: FWH Experiment.
Jimmy wrote:Agreed!jeffsmith wrote:I'd love to try a taste of this. Seems like a very interesting experiment.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
?dexter wrote:Jimmy wrote:Agreed!jeffsmith wrote:I'd love to try a taste of this. Seems like a very interesting experiment.
Jeff might also let me leave some at Bad Apple.
Redoubt contacted me at 10 am
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- NASH
- CBA Award Winner

- Posts: 4085
- Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 pm
- Name: Nash
- Location: Halifax, NS
- Contact:
Re: FWH Experiment.
The experiment on trying to get a billion IBUs into brew has been done by a few here, including myself from time to time
http://hartandthistle.blogspot.ca/2011/ ... -impa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://hartandthistle.blogspot.ca/2012/ ... lease.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PS: I want flying pigs!
http://hartandthistle.blogspot.ca/2011/ ... -impa.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://hartandthistle.blogspot.ca/2012/ ... lease.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PS: I want flying pigs!
- dexter
- Verified User

- Posts: 994
- Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am
- Name: Phil
- Location: Halifax
Re: FWH Experiment.
GuingesRock wrote: ?![]()
Jeff might also let me leave some at Bad Apple.
Redoubt contacted me at 10 am![]()
. They were thinking about coming around for the brew. No go though, because of icy roads and “lack of flying pigs” ...But! There’s always flying pigs around here
It was agreeing with both jimmy and Jeff, I'm suffering from 1d10t disease today when it comes to technology...
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
Who are you kidding Greg? You have plenty of flying pigs there. I just read your posts about 1000 + calculated IBUs (stupid fucking IBU calculating programs)NASH wrote:
PS: I want flying pigs!
Flying pigs are my favorite animal.
To flying pigs!
"The Flying Pig" would be a good name for your brew pub when you open it up. I'll be your first customer, and I'll be sitting there, oinking at the bar
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: FWH Experiment.
Yeah I'm definitely up to trying this beer out. Good job on not skimming the hops. IMHO you shouldn't do that, ever. You'd get fuck all from them... not enough time to get aa utilization and much of the aromatics would be lost throughout the boil. You should see the trub in my fermenters.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- mcgster
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 1098
- Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
- Name: Mark McGraw
- Location: Saint John / St. John's
Re: FWH Experiment.
Just coming across this thread now but its of particular interest after my last brew.
I was doing a Smashbomb atomic clone and my target IBU's were around 70 as per Beersmith, i used freshly received citra hops and used FWH to get my bitterness addition. This beer is definitely not 70 IBU! As concrete proof i had my wife taste it and she liked it lol her response to the original smash bomb was ugh thats bitter. Definitely going to tweak my recipe next time, don't get me wrong the beer is still delicious (one of my best IPA yet but i've been struggling with a good recipe), but i crave some more bitterness. If i were going to guess i'd say the beer is 40 IBU or so.
I was doing a Smashbomb atomic clone and my target IBU's were around 70 as per Beersmith, i used freshly received citra hops and used FWH to get my bitterness addition. This beer is definitely not 70 IBU! As concrete proof i had my wife taste it and she liked it lol her response to the original smash bomb was ugh thats bitter. Definitely going to tweak my recipe next time, don't get me wrong the beer is still delicious (one of my best IPA yet but i've been struggling with a good recipe), but i crave some more bitterness. If i were going to guess i'd say the beer is 40 IBU or so.
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
I'm interested in hearing how this turns out. Seems like a fun experiment. 
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
Had fun kegging this
ball valve initially clogged but cleared it with suction applied to tube. 1 1/4 kegs only (supposed to be 2) because of all the trub. I think it's going to be drinkable. I'm keg conditioning for a week, then in the keezer for a week on CO2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
redoubt
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 869
- Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:30 pm
- Name: Kirsten & Keely
- Location: Cambridge
Re: FWH Experiment.
Have you tasted it yet? How do the ole IBUs seem?
Kirsten
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
The IBUs seem nicely drinkable. It's slightly sweet, I was worried it might be sherry flavoured and oxidized, but on second and third tasting, I think not. It would be hard to oxidize with all the hops and their anti-oxidant properties. I've noticed that sweet fruity taste with large FWH additions of Styrian Goldings before. Kathleen had a few swigs and thinks it's going to be a good one. I'll give it a chance over the next two weeks. I'm optimistic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: FWH Experiment.
Sorry, I'm just catching up on this now. DId you measure your FG (or G going into the kegs), just curious if that accounts for the sweetness, or it was something else.
Looking forward to hearing your results! The grain pickup might be a good time to bring a couple of bottles to share with folks, if you were planning on coming in. Not for another 2 weeks, so it'll be well carbed and fairly well settled.
Stupid question, is "keg conditioning for a week, then in the keezer for a week on CO2" your standard practice? Just wondering if you're finding the keg conditioning does not offer enough carbonation, or perhaps I'm misinterpreting, and the second half is just a final step at a cooler temperature to help the CO2 get into solution.
Looking forward to hearing your results! The grain pickup might be a good time to bring a couple of bottles to share with folks, if you were planning on coming in. Not for another 2 weeks, so it'll be well carbed and fairly well settled.
Stupid question, is "keg conditioning for a week, then in the keezer for a week on CO2" your standard practice? Just wondering if you're finding the keg conditioning does not offer enough carbonation, or perhaps I'm misinterpreting, and the second half is just a final step at a cooler temperature to help the CO2 get into solution.
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
Hi Chris, I checked the OG, haven't checked the FG yet. Usually wait until It's finished it's week of "keg conditioning". If I'm making real ale I keg after about 4 days and it will carbonate usually on it's own. Lately I have been sending beer to competitions/brewnosers review etc. for feedback, so have been leaving for a week in the primary, then a week in the keg at room temp and then force carbing in the keezer to the required carbonation levels for the style.chalmers wrote:Sorry, I'm just catching up on this now. DId you measure your FG (or G going into the kegs), just curious if that accounts for the sweetness, or it was something else.
Looking forward to hearing your results! The grain pickup might be a good time to bring a couple of bottles to share with folks, if you were planning on coming in. Not for another 2 weeks, so it'll be well carbed and fairly well settled.
Stupid question, is "keg conditioning for a week, then in the keezer for a week on CO2" your standard practice? Just wondering if you're finding the keg conditioning does not offer enough carbonation, or perhaps I'm misinterpreting, and the second half is just a final step at a cooler temperature to help the CO2 get into solution.
If it's drinkable, maybe I should get some to you if that's ok and you can take it to meetings, grain pick ups etc. I think redoubt is coming down to the grain pick up so that might be a way of getting some down there.
Thanks for the interest.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: FWH Experiment.
Sounds like a great plan, I'd be happy to drink and fill out a form for it.
I saw the graduated cylinder full of wort/beer, and incorrectly assumed it was from when you transferred from the kettle into the keg. My mistake!
I saw the graduated cylinder full of wort/beer, and incorrectly assumed it was from when you transferred from the kettle into the keg. My mistake!
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
The graduated pot is my boiling/fermenting pot, and I do keg from that from one of the ball valves that is specifically for kegging. You're getting me confused now Chris.chalmers wrote:Sounds like a great plan, I'd be happy to drink and fill out a form for it.
I saw the graduated cylinder full of wort/beer, and incorrectly assumed it was from when you transferred from the kettle into the keg. My mistake!
...In the latest picture of that pot, I've finished kegging and removed the coil ready for cleaning.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: FWH Experiment.
Sorry for the confusion, my fault for using the wrong term: "Graduated cylinder" is what I'm calling the last picture you posted, from transfer day (April 5). Clear plastic (or glass) tube with a black plastic base. On closer inspection, it may not have volume marked on it, so it is just a "cylinder". Common uses for homebrewers would be to hold liquid while measuring gravity with a hydrometer. At least that's the only thing I use mine for. 
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
-
redoubt
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 869
- Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:30 pm
- Name: Kirsten & Keely
- Location: Cambridge
Re: FWH Experiment.
Yep, we'll be going in for the grain pick-up. We'd be happy to ferry some of your beer to the city for Chris.GuingesRock wrote:If it's drinkable, maybe I should get some to you if that's ok and you can take it to meetings, grain pick ups etc. I think redoubt is coming down to the grain pick up so that might be a way of getting some down there.
Kirsten.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
Thanks
We'll wait and see if it's worth shipping.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
Not the best beer I've made. In fact it may be the worst. It's just drinkable, on the borderline. I'm not drinking the rest of that glass, and Kathleen says (after a taste) maybe I shouldn't make so much when I do my experiments. I suppose that's right. Guessing the IBUs are about 60 (not 630)
....Knew I should have skimmed it.
said that just to get you going Rob and Greg
I can send it out for people to tear apart. Not sure what to make of it.
....Knew I should have skimmed it.
I can send it out for people to tear apart. Not sure what to make of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: FWH Experiment.
A beer with that much hops could probably age for 6 months or so.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
Maybe that’s it, but I’m not optimistic about this one.RubberToe wrote:A beer with that much hops could probably age for 6 months or so.
As an aside, and just to stir the pot a bit more. I’m running a boil at the moment and skimming throughout, got the FWH hops off at the beginning of the boil. The stuff I’m skimming off now looks like fat. I believe, and you can argue with me for sure, that by skimming and removing fatty acids, I’m giving the beer a longer life and reducing the potential of getting oxidative off flavours. I’m drinking my Garrison weizen while I’m brewing and there still isn’t any sign of oxidation. It tastes as good as it ever did.GuingesRock wrote:....Knew I should have skimmed it.said that just to get you going Rob and Greg
![]()
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: FWH Experiment.
Just when I was having some hope for you, lol...GuingesRock wrote:As an aside, and just to stir the pot a bit more. I’m running a boil at the moment and skimming throughout, got the FWH hops off at the beginning of the boil. The stuff I’m skimming off now looks like fat. I believe, and you can argue with me for sure, that by skimming and removing fatty acids, I’m giving the beer a longer life and reducing the potential of getting oxidative off flavours. I’m drinking my Garrison weizen while I’m brewing and there still isn’t any sign of oxidation. It tastes as good as it ever did.
Why not just late hop instead? You should do a 1lb hopstand experiment next.
To each his own though, keep on truckin.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests