Competition Questions

A spot to talk general homebrew
User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Competition Questions

Post by RubberToe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:13 pm

GuingesRock wrote:If you have a beer that you are not sure of the best class fit, is it frowned upon to enter it twice in one competition but in two different classes?
I think most competitions allow you to enter the same beer in different classes but NOT in different subclasses of the same class. Read the fine print / rules of each competition just in case.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Competition Questions

Post by RubberToe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:23 pm

dean2k wrote:Yikes. Would have cost me $35+ to send 3 day express to SK. Going to take chances with storm and regular shipping. Got the box and bubble wrap as small as my paranoia would allow. What's everyone's packaging tricks?
I do FedEx 3 day express saver and like it. Cheaper than overnight. Once it got there in one day anyways, lol.

I get dollar store bubble wrap, some news paper, packing tape, extra cardboard. I line the sides and bottom of the box with bubble wrap and another layer of cardboard. I then place in a blue recycle bag or garbage bag in case any bottles break or freeze and pop open.

I cut my bubble wrap into about 12" lengths, one for each bottle. Make sure your bottles have the tags on them as per the individual competition rules. Bottles themselves unlabeled, caps blacked out. I wrap each bottle with a piece of bubble wrap, letting it hang over the top and bottom (may fold it on the bottom when placing in the bottles). IIRC I don't tape the wrap, don't want it to be a pain for the comp organizers. I place each bottle standing up in the box (bag), filling the box with my entries in this way. I'll place my entry forms, cheque, etc, in a zip lock bag on top. BTW I've also been known to place each bottle tag in a small zip lock bag before elasicing it to the bottle.

I then tie or tape the bag shut and fill in all open areas, corners, and top with crumpled news paper. Make sure the contents can not shift. Close and tape shut the box. Bob's your uncle.

That's my process, which may be overkill. I don't want my hard work going to waste because the box fell during shipping. Also note that some competitions limit entries to 12 per box or something like that.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm
Name: deano
Location: Sackville, NB

Re: Competition Questions

Post by dean2k » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:58 pm

RubberToe wrote:
I do FedEx 3 day express saver and like it. Cheaper than overnight. Once it got there in one day anyways, lol.
If I had more time and no Snowpocalpyse, I would have shopped around for shipping. Sackville NB has a self-serve fed ex drop box but I'll have to research if you can do express saver that way.

Cheers.

PS ... I may have used an entire Dollar Store $1.25 roll of 30" bubble wrap for each bottle. :silent:
.............................................

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Competition Questions

Post by RubberToe » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:02 pm

dean2k wrote:PS ... I may have used an entire Dollar Store $1.25 roll of 30" bubble wrap for each bottle. :silent:
Lol, just wrap the bubble wrap with paper and call it a day!

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Competition Questions

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:03 am

What would be the difference between and award-winning IPA and an award-winning APA? Is it possible the same beer could win both classes?

Thanks!
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Competition Questions

Post by GAM » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:24 am

Mostly the type of hops IMO.

Sandy

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Competition Questions

Post by gm- » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:34 am

Lower ABV and IBUs in the APA, although they can overlap a bit.

From BJCP
APA:
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.045 – 1.060
IBUs: 30 – 45 FG: 1.010 – 1.015
SRM: 5 – 14 ABV: 4.5 – 6.2%

IPA:
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.056 – 1.075
IBUs: 40 – 70 FG: 1.010 – 1.018
SRM: 6 – 15 ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: Competition Questions

Post by LiverDance » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:51 am

GuingesRock wrote:What would be the difference between and award-winning IPA and an award-winning APA? Is it possible the same beer could win both classes?

Thanks!

Technically yes, if you look at gm's BJCP stats they do overlap so it is possible to win both.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

User avatar
Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1154
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:18 pm
Name: Tim
Location: Downtown Dartmouth

Re: Competition Questions

Post by Tim Gregory » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:19 am

There's usually a rule that you can't enter the same beer in two categories though, so you have to make a choice when you enter (or hope you don't get caught).

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Competition Questions

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Tim Gregory wrote: so you have to make a choice when you enter (or hope you don't get caught).
What would be your deciding factors?

My beers lately aren't high alcohol and I aim for lots of fruity hop flavour and aroma with lower end bitterness and background malt profile only, lighter colour, lightly dry hopped, peachy conan yeast esters. Maybe I should stick to the APA class, or would there be a better class for such a beer?

Also I had some left over PET bottles of beer that I sent to ALES, I tasted them last week and they had all gone south with oxidative 0ff-flavours. Embarrassing. I had beer gunned from kegs into PET bottles. I think my sanitation was strict. The stuff in the kegs was still good. I think it was the PET bottles being permeable to O2. Is that a likely explanation? The bottles were kept in the fridge.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: Competition Questions

Post by chalmers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:23 am

From your description, I'd enter them in APA category. Lower end bitterness will (rightly or wrongly) be lost in IPA category.

How long ago did you bottle the beers? I feel like the oxygen permeability of PET isn't high enough that it would oxidize within a month or two. When you bottled, did you do so with the bottles dry? Did you allow some foam to creep up and spill out a bit, so you were capping on foam? What sanitizing regime did you use? How was the carbonation level of the beer?

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Competition Questions

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 am

chalmers wrote: How long ago did you bottle the beers? I feel like the oxygen permeability of PET isn't high enough that it would oxidize within a month or two. When you bottled, did you do so with the bottles dry? Did you allow some foam to creep up and spill out a bit, so you were capping on foam? What sanitizing regime did you use? How was the carbonation level of the beer?
Thanks, bottled 2 - 3months ago. Had the bottles and caps in a bucket of starsan and drained each one just before filling it so the bottles were wet. The shaft of the beer gun was put in another bucket of starsan between each filling. Definately overflowed and capped on foam. Carbonation was low end.

Thanks for the help. I'd like to get to the bottom of this. I think I will be moving to glass though.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: Competition Questions

Post by chalmers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:59 am

Your bottling technique sounds spot on to me. I believe Tony bottles in PET, and they are sold in decent quantity at NG, so I'm not that we can blame the bottles. Genuine mystery to me, sadly.

User avatar
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Name: Jayme
Location: Halifax

Re: Competition Questions

Post by Jayme » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:18 pm

I was having issues of lower carbonation in bottles vs. beer on draft when I first got my beer gun. I did a bit of reading (thought it was in the manual, but I don't see it at a glance) and read somewhere that the night before bottling, you should increase the pressure of the beer 2~5psi to slightly over-carbonate which will cancel out the slight drop in carbonation when bottling.

I suspect this and not using PET is the issue, though it could be a combination of the two.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Competition Questions

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:03 pm

I'm suspicious:
PET and Oxygen Permeability

PET bottles (sometimes called PETE bottles, and bearing the #1 recycling code) are made from polyethylene terephthalate. There are lots of different variants of PET bottles. For this article, I’ll limit the discussion solely to the “regular,” thin-walled soda bottles. As I mentioned, one reason to use PET bottles for soda is the ability of PET containers to retain carbon dioxide (CO2). However, the permeability of PET with regards to oxygen is a concern of brewers. Keeping CO2 in is a necessary feature of a beer bottle, but keeping oxygen (O2) out is also important. If oxygen can enter the bottle, the beer will go stale faster. And this is why you don’t see commercial beer packaged in “ordinary,” thin-walled PET bottles — they are permeable to oxygen. (There are thicker bottles and specialty bottles that use a layer of polyvinyl alcohol between layers of PET to lower oxygen permeability.) http://beerandwinejournal.com/pet-bottles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: Competition Questions

Post by chalmers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Thanks for looking into this. The key is that last line in your quote. Any of the PET bottles I've seen for homebrew have been the thick ones. Might be worth asking NG (I assume you bought them there) for the supplier name, and do a check.

That might explain why those two pop-bottles of Bushwakkers I brought to the last Brewnosers meeting were off. They appeared to be the thin-walled ones, probably only good for a couple of weeks.

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Competition Questions

Post by Tony L » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Also remember colour has an effect on hop stability the same as it do in glass. Brown being preferable to weed out the spectrum of light that affects the hops in beer.

Having said that, I have sent in beer to comps using brown PET bottles I got at my LHBS and never had any issues with it. The other thing is are you purging the head space in the bottle before sealing the cap before and after filling?

User avatar
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Name: Jayme
Location: Halifax

Re: Competition Questions

Post by Jayme » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:23 am

Although it's terrible beer, Steelback used to (maybe still does??) in green PET bottles. It was always plenty carbonated! And awful...
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Competition Questions

Post by gm- » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:07 am

Breweries in Europe also do this quite a bit, you can buy both Tuborg and Carslberg in 330ml plastic bottles in Denmark, and in eastern europe it is pretty common to see beer sold in 1L or 1.5L plastic bottles. Those are all horrible beers, so I am not sure what off flavours are result of the packaging, seem to taste similarly bad in cans/glass.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Competition Questions

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:05 pm

I made a Blonde, "Poolside Blonde". It has a decent malt background with pilsner and 8.7% dark munich, west Yorkshire ale yeast (Wyeast 1649). 4.6% ABV and Galaxy hops. It's loaded with fruity aroma and flavour, mostly peach/apricot. You can smell it at arms length. I think it's a beautiful beer but I'm worried it might be too "hoppy" for a blonde in terms of fruity flavours and aromas. It's hardly bitter at all really (19 IBU) and is very drinkable, even for people who don't like real beer. Is there a better class? I want to send it in. Colour 8.5 EBC (4.3 SRM), OG 1.050.

Thanks

Edit: This beer ended up getting gold in the end as a blonde ale in the M.A.L.T competition in Montreal.
Last edited by GuingesRock on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

redoubt
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:30 pm
Name: Kirsten & Keely
Location: Cambridge

Re: Competition Questions

Post by redoubt » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:49 pm

Mark,

Reading the BJCP style guidelines for the Blonde Ale, it sounds like you'd be alright for the category, and it doesn't look like there'd be a better place for it from what I can tell. Perhaps with the title, specify that's it's a hoppy version, so the judges know it was your intention to have that much hop flavour and aroma. "Poolside Blonde - Hoppy Blonde Ale".

-Keely.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Competition Questions

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Thanks for the help Keely. :)

Peachy Blonde Ale.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: Competition Questions

Post by chalmers » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 pm

Just an FYI, at BJCP comps, the judges will not see a name for the beer, only a randomized designation (usually a number). The organizer is the one who separates the bottles from entry sheets, and assigns the numbers, and he or she will not be judging, to remove any chance (or perception) of playing favourites.

In categories where special ingredients or techniques may be used, those details are available to the judges, but again, in a way that does not reveal details of the brewer's identity.

User avatar
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
Name: Adam Comeau
Location: Halifax

Re: Competition Questions

Post by CartoonCod » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:17 pm

You would probably get dinged for the hops in the Blonde Ale category. I think it would best fit in American pale ale, however, having said that, it sounds like it lacks the bitterness to be a good example of the style, based on what you wrote. Here is the big philosophical question, do you brew to win competitions or do you brew to enjoy your own beer? I think they can overlap, but the current version of the guidelines are limiting in certain areas.

On a side note, I think the BJCP higher ups are working on revising the style guidelines to be released sometime this year.

On another side note, there are groups such as the Maltose Falcons out of California that have their own guidelines: http://www.maltosefalcons.com/sites/def ... elines.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: Competition Questions

Post by chalmers » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:20 pm

As for this beer in particular, big hop aroma is a bit more than what the Blonde style calls for, but the IBUs are a bit lower than the APA style, which would be my second recommendation. Tough call!

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests