Hop shoots are up 2014!!

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by GAM » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:05 am

If I can get to it I'll have some Erocia and Cascade Saturday at X's.

Sandy

wortly
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:48 am
Location: Charlottetown PEI

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by wortly » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:50 am

A little surprise on my window sill at work yesterday.
Image

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by mr x » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:42 am

Nice!
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

maltster
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by maltster » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:16 pm

IMG075.jpg
These cascade plants have lots of shoots this year. How much should I cut back?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by canuck » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:30 pm

I'd select what appears to be the two strongest bines and cut back the rest. Looks like a great start for your Cascade!! :cheers2:

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:45 pm

My Cascade is looking pretty similar. Really hoping for a good crop this year.

User avatar
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Name: Jayme
Location: Halifax

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by Jayme » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:07 am

The nuggets I cut all the rhizomes out of are doing awesome, the other 3 nuggets I rooted from clippings last year have come up, so have my magnums. Also planted 5 nugget rhizomes in my apartment and they've all got small shoots popping up. I hope all the ones I gave away are starting to come up as well!
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by canuck » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:05 am

Got some rhizomes this morning. I hope to get them all in the ground today.

2 Cascade
2 Hallertau
2 Mt Hood
2 Nugget
2 Sterling
2 Tettnang
2 Williamette

Image

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by bluenose » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:08 am

canuck wrote:Got some rhizomes this morning. I hope to get them all in the ground today.

2 Cascade
2 Hallertau
2 Mt Hood
2 Nugget
2 Sterling
2 Tettnang
2 Williamette
Where did you order your rhizomes from?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by canuck » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:10 am

Got them from Heritage Hill Organics in Ontario. http://www.heritagehillorganics.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Rhizomes were $5 a piece.

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by bluenose » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:22 am

so I'm guessing you get 2 per order?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by bluenose » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:58 am

Hey hop growers, can the twine the bines grow up be on an angle or should they be straight up?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by GAM » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:02 pm

I've done both no difference in my yard.

Sandy

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by jeffsmith » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:09 pm

bluenose wrote:Hey hop growers, can the twine the bines grow up be on an angle or should they be straight up?
Doesn't make much of a difference I don't think. I've seen trellises built each way. I have mine on an angle just because of where my hops are planted and how I've had to setup my trellis.

User avatar
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Name: Jayme
Location: Halifax

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by Jayme » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:12 pm

I do mine essentially horizontal. Makes it a lot easier to pick. This year I'm going to do a 3rd line at the bottom - roots are well established now so should be able to feed the 3rd bine.
Image
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by RubberToe » Fri May 04, 2012 10:19 am

My cascade and fuggles broke ground a while back and are a couple feet high now. The nugget from Jayme are not doing anything yet, one's in the ground, one in a pot. I took a look at one yesterday and there's some very tiny white shoots sprouting from the rhizome so it's just a matter of time and patience.

Yesterday my rhizomes from Left Fields arrived; Goldings, Mt. Hood, Northern Brewer. They were packaged poorly, each one in a no name brand snack bag, no papper towel or moisture, and were looking dried out. They all had roots and shoots coming from them though. I got them into ground right away and watered. I'm going to contact them about it though.

I also got a Golding from amartin, thanks again! It's in dirt too and considering it has a shoot already I think it will do great.

On the weekend or so I'm planning on running some line to train them with.

-Rob
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by jeffsmith » Fri May 04, 2012 10:30 am

Mine and Andy's rhizomes from Left Fields arrived the same way. Haven't been able to plant them yet, but put a damp paper towel with each rhizome in the fridge.

User avatar
derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 1300
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:01 pm
Location: Musquodoboit Harbour, NS

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by derek » Fri May 04, 2012 11:46 am

RubberToe wrote: They were packaged poorly, each one in a no name brand snack bag, no papper towel or moisture, and were looking dried out.
I'm not sure that's a bad thing - contact the vendor and ask them why they ship like that. I know zip about hops, but I've planted fruit trees that were stored bone dry, bare-root, all winter, and they were in fine shape. aiui, the theory was that if you keep them damp and in soil, they never go completely dormant. I'd guess that if they say that they're intentional kept that way, they probably know what they're doing.

Unlike me... Mine didn't do well outdoors last summer, so I moved them into the greenhouse, where they're doing great, but I have Nugget, Centennial and Goldings, and I couldn't possibly tell you which is which, as two of the markers have completely disappeared, and the third would need a forensic lab to find an indicator of what it is. Oops.
Currently on tap: Whiter Shade of Pale!
In keg: .
In Primary: Nothing

wortly
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 412
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:48 am
Location: Charlottetown PEI

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by wortly » Fri May 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Rhizomes with roots and shoots are bad. Some of mine arrived the same way.

Anything with shoots should probably be planted immediately.

As most are doing, loosely wrapped in paper towel at 4 degrees is best until you can plant.

On a related note, we are in the process of setting up what will be the first demonstration hopyard for the East Coast at the Harrington Experimental Farm north of Ch'Town. If everything works out, we should be able to have 9 varieties in the ground this year. :headbang:

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by jeffsmith » Fri May 04, 2012 1:20 pm

derek wrote:I'm not sure that's a bad thing - contact the vendor and ask them why they ship like that.
Compared to how Left Fields shipped their rhizomes last year, it's a little concerning. I know they had some serious issues with weather damage, mice issues, etc. and had some issues with getting some rhizomes across the border from Washington and Oregon to ship out, so I think they were really scrambling and didn't put the attention and care into it that they really should have.

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by RubberToe » Fri May 04, 2012 3:28 pm

I contacted Left Fields earlier and got this reply:
I'm sorry one of the bags came open, and should you have more than 10% loss in germination, please let us know right away. Please do know, however, that we ceased to ship with wet paper towels in the package several years ago due to severe issues with mold. Since then, we have had no problems and excellent germination. We do allow them to be surface dry when we ship for the same reason, although they are kept moist in our storage.

Absolutely let us know what happens as soon as you can.
Good to know. Hopefully they'll be fine.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by jeffsmith » Fri May 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Indeed, though I could have sworn there was a damp towel in the packages last year. Time will tell if they've been negatively affected.

User avatar
canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
Name: Shane
Location: Quispamsis, NB
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up!!

Post by canuck » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 am

I noticed this morning that 2 out of my 7 varieties have shoots up already......Cascade and Williamette. Anyone else's up yet?

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Hop shoots are up 2013!!

Post by RubberToe » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:09 pm

I have a whole bunch up as well, just barely starting though.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Anathema
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:41 pm
Name: Jerimah

Re: Hop shoots are up 2013!!

Post by Anathema » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:18 pm

I got shoots on Nug'ems and Cassey. My sterling and Golding arent up yet but they are all in pots on my deck, sure hope they survived. Woot cant wait to get Cascade strung up gave me a pound last year.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests