WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Post by RubberToe » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:39 am

I have one small jar of Denny's Favorite 50 that I dumped from the conical this week. I'm not planning on using it again any time soon as there's other yeasts I want to use. If anyone wants it you're free to have it. I recommend making a starter. I used it in a brown ale BTW.

https://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrai ... cfm?ID=201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seemed to ferment at about the speed of US-05 for me.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
Name: Aaron
Location: Halifax

WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Post by mumblecrunch » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:17 am

That's on my list of yeasts to try; I'd happily take it off your hands.

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Post by RubberToe » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:02 pm

mumblecrunch wrote:That's on my list of yeasts to try; I'd happily take it off your hands.
Great. I should be around all weekend (Dartmouth). I'm not sure if I'm going to the gathering on Saturday.

-Rob
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
Name: Aaron
Location: Halifax

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:13 pm

I finally used the yeast Rob gave me in my March exchange beer. I managed to wash the yeast afterwards as well. I've got three jars up for grabs if anyone is interested; I'm expecting to be at the meeting on Tuesday night and could bring it along then.

Like Rob, I found this fermented at about the rate of US-05.

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Post by Celiacbrew » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:26 pm

mumblecrunch wrote:I finally used the yeast Rob gave me in my March exchange beer. I managed to wash the yeast afterwards as well. I've got three jars up for grabs if anyone is interested; I'm expecting to be at the meeting on Tuesday night and could bring it along then.

Like Rob, I found this fermented at about the rate of US-05.

I would like to try this yeast. Can I grab a jar on Tuesday at the meeting?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
Name: Aaron
Location: Halifax

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:33 pm

Celiacbrew wrote:I would like to try this yeast. Can I grab a jar on Tuesday at the meeting?
You certainly can.

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Post by McGruff » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:54 am

How is the attenuation with this yeast?

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Post by RubberToe » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:32 am

It's not under attenuating by any means. I'd say med to med-high. The specs say 74-76%.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
Name: Aaron
Location: Halifax

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Post by mumblecrunch » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:05 pm

For what it's worth the beer I made with it started at 1.063 and finished at 1.010ish for an AA in the low- to mid-80s. Mash temp was 154F.

Flocculates pretty nicely too.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425740687.215178.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Post by Celiacbrew » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Aaron I walked out and forgot to say thank you for the yeast. Sorry about that. Thanks for the yeast, I will bring a sample of whatever it produces. Assuming it is drinkable.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
Name: Aaron
Location: Halifax

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Post by mumblecrunch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:21 pm

Celiacbrew wrote:Aaron I walked out and forgot to say thank you for the yeast. Sorry about that. Thanks for the yeast, I will bring a sample of whatever it produces. Assuming it is drinkable.
No worries, I'm just trying to pay it along the way it came to me from RubberToe. Won't say no to a future sample though :D

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: WYeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:31 am

The ol yeast starter triangle scheme - soon you'll be bathing in unlimited beer, all fermented from Denny's 50

I'll share a bottle of whatever the extra one ferments.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests