Keg Washer

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Keg Washer

Post by Keith » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Has anyone used the below keg washer? I'm wanting to buy one and this seems to do exactly what I want and is fairly compact.

http://kegwasher.com/catalog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Keg Washer

Post by AllanMar » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:21 pm

I've got one and I like it. You can build something better/mayb cheaper, but like you said its compact and simple.

Ive been thinking about getting another, since I usually do a bunch at once.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Keg Washer

Post by Keith » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:59 pm

So from what I read this really takes any effort out of keg cleaning?

I'm presently washing and sanitizing 9 kegs. It's not too bad, but would make clean up from brew days easier too.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Keg Washer

Post by GAM » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:38 pm

I'm looking in to building one.

I have most of the parts and if "We" (a group) build and share I think it would be 1. a better design 2. cheaper and 3. better use (we don't all need one all the time).

Sandy

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Keg Washer

Post by Keith » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:42 pm

GAM wrote:I'm looking in to building one.

I have most of the parts and if "We" (a group) build and share I think it would be 1. a better design 2. cheaper and 3. better use (we don't all need one all the time).

Sandy
I like the functionality that it can do buckets, carboys, and kegs. And well I clean everything weekly with the exception of kegs.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: Keg Washer

Post by RubberToe » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:47 pm

I built my own, can show you sometime.

Sent from the brew timer.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Keg Washer

Post by Keith » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:49 pm

Yeah post a pic. This is my day...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Keg Washer

Post by AllanMar » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:21 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408818084.815870.jpg
This was mine.. Haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Keg Washer

Post by Keith » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:13 pm

yea, I have 1 keg which will be hooked up shortly and it's a hard lemonade kit which is for my wife. I think I need more beer and kegs.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Keg Washer

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:34 pm

its still not gonna clean inside your posts well, will still have to disassemble them regularly... it doesnt seem like itd be a big advantage over just taking off the lid and filling and soaking? saves a little bit of cleaner and maybe a bit of time?
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Keg Washer

Post by Keith » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:13 pm

I just tore down 9 kegs, soaked in boiling pbw, rinsed, then filled with starsan and shook. All posts were taken off, lid and all o rings boiled.
Stanley was stripped down and cleaned, just need to rinse the lines.
I will say it was a full days work just on kegs, if I could set it and forget it that would be much better. I don't think it's really about saving time as much as reduces your work and allows you to do something else.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Keg Washer

Post by Jimmy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:36 pm

I'm with you, Keith. You can throw the keg upside down and let it clean while you're cleaning the posts, tubes and lid. Once you come back you can just install those pieces and you're good to go.

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Keg Washer

Post by AllanMar » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:40 pm

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:its still not gonna clean inside your posts well, will still have to disassemble them regularly... it doesnt seem like itd be a big advantage over just taking off the lid and filling and soaking? saves a little bit of cleaner and maybe a bit of time?
I circ PBW and sanitizer through the posts and have been happy with the result (time will tell I guess). I find it saves a fair bit of time and effort filling/dumping kegs. Put em on for a bit and go do something else, less water, less hassle. I defiantly prefer it.

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Keg Washer

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:45 pm

I take the posts off every time and soak them in PBW. For the keg, I fill it just over half way with PBW. After 20 minutes, I flip the keg upside down in a bucket, with the serving tube still in. Leave another 20 and rinse with clean water, reassemble and add star San. I typically clean kegs when I have 2 empties, and do it while watching TV or something while hanging in the basement.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Keg Washer

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Yeah I dunno. For me I fill my kegs to the brim, drop all the parts inside, let it soak overnight, the next day triple rinse and reassemble with a couple littes of sanitizer. Not really much work nor time consuming.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
evanisnor
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
Name: Evan Isnor
Location: Windsor

Re: Keg Washer

Post by evanisnor » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:30 am

Keith wrote:I just tore down 9 kegs, soaked in boiling pbw, rinsed, then filled with starsan and shook.
I don't keg, but I have to ask, how much water do you boil? 45 gallons? That's a lot of propane? :wtf:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Keg Washer

Post by GuingesRock » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:05 pm

Keith wrote:Yeah post a pic. This is my day...
9 kegs takes me less than an hour. I rinse them out with water, put in 4 tablespoons of 1 step or the NG version Aseptox (no rinse sanitizer & cleaner), rock the keg as I fill it with warm water to dissolve the 1 Step (do that in the shower), the lid is in a similar solution while I do that. Put the lid on, pressurise, run solution through the gas post and safety valve, hook up CO2 again and run solution through the liquid post, cleaning my cobra tap beer lines at the same time by hooking them up. Lay keg on it's side for an hour or two and roll a bit with my foot when I walk by. Done! ...6 minutes per keg.

On kegging day, dump out the solution, charge with CO2 and fill. The solution has been in there cleaning and sanitising anywhere from a day to several weeks. 1 step and aseptox are H2O2 based and degrade into harmless minerals, water and oxygen.

Insides of the kegs come out shiny and sparkling and no infections from kegs to date, after doing that for a year.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Name: Jayme
Location: Halifax

Re: Keg Washer

Post by Jayme » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:01 pm

I have (or kinda had) one of these. I would recommend building something that can handle heat. PBW works WAY better hot. I tried it with this unit and screwed up the pump - works now, but not as well as it used to. Also, if you leave PBW in the basin for an extended period, it will eat through the seams.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Keg Washer

Post by Keith » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:09 pm

evanisnor wrote:
Keith wrote:I just tore down 9 kegs, soaked in boiling pbw, rinsed, then filled with starsan and shook.
I don't keg, but I have to ask, how much water do you boil? 45 gallons? That's a lot of propane? :wtf:
I use 1.5 liters in a keg to a table spoon of PBW. Bring it to a boil, shake the shit out of the kegs a few times, and then rinse well.
After that I add 1.5 liters of water and starsan. Shake the hell out of it, let the bubbles work their magic and leave it in there until I need the keg. Will typically shake my kegs one last time the night before I keg.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests