Kegging

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
Timelord_
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm
Name: Tom

Kegging

Post by Timelord_ » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:19 pm

so for Christmas I got all of the gear I need for kegging (minus the spare fridge). Here is what I did, and was hoping for some feedback as to wether it is correct or not.

Racked directly from primary into clean and santizied ball lock keg. Hit it with 10psi, and purged it a few times to ensure all O2 was out of the keg.

Put the keg (while connected to co2 @ 10 psi outside overnight to cool down. Did some shaking of the keg to absorb as much co2 as possible.


So here are my questions.

Is 10psi the appropriate amount for force carving/serving?
How much co2 should the above exercise have used? I am somewhat concerned about a leak. I did the bubble test, but could not find anything
When will the beer b ready to drink?


Thanks for any advice offered

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Kegging

Post by jacinthebox » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:21 pm

How long are ur beerlines?

How long was ur brew in the primary?
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

Timelord_
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm
Name: Tom

Re: Kegging

Post by Timelord_ » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:25 pm

Beer line is five feet. The kegging system was bought from Dave.

Beer was in the primary for just shy of three weeks. It is a cream ale.

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Kegging

Post by jacinthebox » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:26 pm

I used this chart to figure out my psi/temp range...I only use the set and forget method. ..10 foot beer lines...4C @ 12.5psi...10 days to 14 days seems to give me the carb level I want
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Kegging

Post by jacinthebox » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:28 pm

5 foot beer lines always gave me foam issues...maybe someone that is running 5 foot lines can chime in
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Kegging

Post by Keith » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:34 pm

jacinthebox wrote:5 foot beer lines always gave me foam issues...maybe someone that is running 5 foot lines can chime in
I haven't had foam issues since I swapped my lines to 10'. Had foaming issues with 5' as well.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Timelord_
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm
Name: Tom

Re: Kegging

Post by Timelord_ » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:40 pm

I read about foaming issues with 5ft lines. Will "upgrade" to 10ft next time I am at Daves.

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Kegging

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:02 pm

I don't really have any issues with 5 foot lines. Had 10 ft for a while and it just made my fridge more annoying to open
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Timelord_
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm
Name: Tom

Re: Kegging

Post by Timelord_ » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:11 pm

So all in all, what I did was correct?

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Kegging

Post by Keith » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:30 pm

Yea. Just look for a co2 temp carbonation chart. If you are carbonating at a higher temp you will want to increase your psi.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Kegging

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:48 pm

Looks correct to me. I usually force carb either at 30psi with rocking (then let it settle a day or two). Or sometimes I set to 10-15psi depending on carb level wanted, and leave it along for 2-3 weeks. I have a leak somewhere in my system so I mostly force carb, and only connect my gas lines when I need em and keep the tank off the rest of the time

But yeah looks like you did things just fine!
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Kegging

Post by jacinthebox » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:48 pm

The longer beerlines allow u to carb at 12psi...it adds resistance to the beer slowing it down keeping the co2 in suspension. ..shorter beer lines would require a lower psi ...and/or a colder fridge...
im sure someone here could say it with more grace than I lol


And dave sells beerline splicers. ..so id just grab 2 and 2 more 5 foot lengths of beerline (and clamps)...I did it on a couple of my buddys fridges without issue
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

the-mailman
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm
Name: Bruce Mailman
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: Kegging

Post by the-mailman » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:31 pm

jacinthebox wrote:5 foot beer lines always gave me foam issues...maybe someone that is running 5 foot lines can chime in
My setup came with 5' and I had a few good pours but then nothing but foam. Wen't to 12' and although it pours a little slow I never get foam. I carb my keg at 25 psi for a day or two at 4C then purge and reset to 12 psi for serving. Works for me but I don't like to wait a week for it to carb at 12 psi.
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner

In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty

Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime. :)

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests