over carbbed keg.
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
over carbbed keg.
So apparently I hooked a keg up and have a split line. Well I went to force carb a new keg and over carbed my pineapple ipa. I killed the co2 and released the pressure. How frequent should I purge the head space to stop my bear from being 90% foam? It settles I. A few mins bit is an annoyance at best.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: over carbbed keg.
Pull the ring up and release pressure whenever you feel like it, or when you walk by. I think it will take a day or two. Nash told me you lose some of your volatiles doing that. Not a huge deal though I found. I had to carb up some of my real ale for the Big Spruce comp last autumn, then took it back down to 1 vol.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- RubberToe
- Award Winner 13

- Posts: 3745
- Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
- Name: Rob
- Location: Dartmouth
- Contact:
Re: over carbbed keg.
Keith wrote:... to stop my bear from being 90% foam?

- Broob
- Verified User

- Posts: 625
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
- Name: Steve M
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: over carbbed keg.
RubberToe wrote:Keith wrote:... to stop my bear from being 90% foam?
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: over carbbed keg.
Thanks mark.
Hahaha Rob. My auto correct is possessed. Should of seen the word it sent jimmy last night.
Hahaha Rob. My auto correct is possessed. Should of seen the word it sent jimmy last night.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: over carbbed keg.
Adkins Traction was the auto correct for administration.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- Brewnoser
- Award Winner 17

- Posts: 736
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:11 am
Re: over carbbed keg.
What pressure is it at? If it's not too crazy you can refrigerate it - take it cold cold. Then crank regulator to pressure you want. Take it up in temp over a few days. It will bleed slowly as it warms.
----
"Work is the curse of the drinking class." - Oscar Wilde
"Work is the curse of the drinking class." - Oscar Wilde
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: over carbbed keg.
Thanks for the tio. Will remember that for next time. I killed the pressure and purged the headspace. Seemed to have done the trick.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: over carbbed keg.
I am still having this issue with new kegs. I'm beginning to believe this may be a line length issue, and it's just not balanced.
I am running at 46F, with 4 and 5' lines, psi is at 14 to give me approx 2.3 volumes of co2. Elevation isn't much with 3" from the keg post. After looking at a calculator. I read I should have 11' lines.
I think it may be the next step to resolve.
I am running at 46F, with 4 and 5' lines, psi is at 14 to give me approx 2.3 volumes of co2. Elevation isn't much with 3" from the keg post. After looking at a calculator. I read I should have 11' lines.
I think it may be the next step to resolve.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: over carbbed keg.
Yeah 46 is fairly warm, would need longer lines for that length - I've got 10' with my fridge at 4C (40F) and 12psi
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: over carbbed keg.
I'm going to try and cool it a bit more. I increased it because the back kegs were freezing, but I was only previously serving at 8 psi.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: over carbbed keg.
Same exact settings here.CorneliusAlphonse wrote:Yeah 46 is fairly warm, would need longer lines for that length - I've got 10' with my fridge at 4C (40F) and 12psi
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: over carbbed keg.
Looks like I'll be making some line adjustments. 
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: over carbbed keg.
Lowered the temp on the fridge, and dropped psi to 12. See how this works later.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: over carbbed keg.
roger. if the back kegs are freezing, maybe a small 12V fan to circulate the air better? or make sure the back kegs are touching the walls of the fridge (if thats where the cooling comes from). if the back kegs are getting colder than the front ones, you'd likely having less foaming issue with them too. just my 2cents
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: over carbbed keg.
This is the foaming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests