So what is wrong with it (if not mouthpuckering bitter)?GuingesRock wrote:Not the best beer I've made. In fact it may be the worst. It's just drinkable, on the borderline. I'm not drinking the rest of that glass, and Kathleen says (after a taste) maybe I shouldn't make so much when I do my experiments. I suppose that's right. Guessing the IBUs are about 60 (not 630)
....Knew I should have skimmed it.said that just to get you going Rob and Greg
![]()
I can send it out for people to tear apart. Not sure what to make of it.
FWH Experiment.
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: FWH Experiment.
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
I was bottling some beer today, so I bottled some of this and I’m throwing the rest of the keg out, if that says anything. I also poured a pint to try it again and left it on the counter. It has a lot of hop flavour, too much, almost like molasses. It would make a good liqueur if it had the alcohol to go with it. Maybe it should be mixed with vodka. It isn’t a drinking beer, but strangely I kept getting drawn back to the pint on the counter for another sip. It’s interesting.
I should try to get some to a meeting or some sort of distribution point in case anyone wants to try it.
I should try to get some to a meeting or some sort of distribution point in case anyone wants to try it.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
I can taste the same taste in my other beers now after drinking that today, but 10% of what it is in this beer. It’s like treacle but without the sweetness. The bitterness is described as being smooth but I'd say it's slick. It’s putting me off FWH a bit. I might stop doing the FWH for a while. I think this extreme FWH beer is a good way of seeing what FWH does.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
I'm having a hard time trying to figure this beer outGuingesRock wrote:I can taste the same taste in my other beers now after drinking that today, but 10% of what it is in this beer. It’s like treacle but without the sweetness. The bitterness is described as being smooth but I'd say it's slick. It’s putting me off FWH a bit. I might stop doing the FWH for a while. I think this extreme FWH beer is a good way of seeing what FWH does.
I can tell what you mean by the treacle flavor, it seems like it's on the nose as well. Has a decent amount of hop bitterness, lots of hop flavor and a fruity nose.
I wouldn't have dumped it - it would be interesting to see how the hops mellow out over a few months.
Thanks for the bottle, Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
FWH Experiment.
Since my head cold is starting to subside, I figured I'd give this a try tonite.
Has a real fruity flavour, reminds me of Bramling Cross or French Strisselspalt hops. A lot of bitterness, really dries the mouth out, almost tannic.
I wouldn't say this was a bad beer, just a bit unbalanced. Not sure that I could drink more than one. But, I think if the hops were more spread out during the boil (FWH, flavour, aroma) this would be a really great beer.
Thanks again, Mark!
Has a real fruity flavour, reminds me of Bramling Cross or French Strisselspalt hops. A lot of bitterness, really dries the mouth out, almost tannic.
I wouldn't say this was a bad beer, just a bit unbalanced. Not sure that I could drink more than one. But, I think if the hops were more spread out during the boil (FWH, flavour, aroma) this would be a really great beer.
Thanks again, Mark!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
Cheers for the reviews Jimmy and Jeff.
Some of this this blended with a bland beer might be an interesting experiment. I have 2 more bottles individually boxed I could mail out if anyone really wants to try this. I'm getting a couple of bottles to Liam to take to a meeting also. It isn't supposed to be a good beer. Not looking for compliments, but if you try it I think you'll recognise FWH in a beer for ever after.
let me know if it has any old hop flavour. I have old hop paranoia now after my Aurora score sheet.
Some of this this blended with a bland beer might be an interesting experiment. I have 2 more bottles individually boxed I could mail out if anyone really wants to try this. I'm getting a couple of bottles to Liam to take to a meeting also. It isn't supposed to be a good beer. Not looking for compliments, but if you try it I think you'll recognise FWH in a beer for ever after.
let me know if it has any old hop flavour. I have old hop paranoia now after my Aurora score sheet.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: FWH Experiment.
I'd be interested in giving it a go if you have more
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
Sure Trevor. Would you pm me your address please. I think I have it somewhere but would take too long to find.

...one left.
...one left.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- dean2k
- Verified User

- Posts: 1172
- Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm
- Name: deano
- Location: Sackville, NB
Re: FWH Experiment.
Funny. Doing a FWH tonight and thinking about this thread because there's so little hop material on the side of pot. You're skimming it off and I'm trying to scoop it back in!
.............................................
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: FWH Experiment.
This experiment put me off FWH. I kept tasting that treacle flavour in any beer that had FWH and I stopped doing that, and went to the standard bittering addition instead. I just remembered though, that I have a few bottles that have been ageing in the basement since March 2014. I think I will send them to the 5 Paddles competition next month to see what they think.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests