Mold in Fermentation Chamber

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Mold in Fermentation Chamber

Post by bluenose » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:13 pm

So I got busy and I kind of forgot about a couple of batches for a while. I opened up the fermentation freezer and as the title says there's mold in the chamber.

The carboys are glass and the airlocks are still full of starsan so I'm wondering if the batches are screwed or if there's a chance they're still ok. I haven't tasted or smelled them yet.

What are people doing to combat moisture in their fermentation chambers?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber

Post by bluenose » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:18 pm

I just gave them each a whiff and they don't smell off. I'm going to go ahead and keg them anyway, but hold off on giving them any co2 until I hear back
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
adams81
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm
Name: Geoff
Location: Clayton Park, NS

Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber

Post by adams81 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:58 pm

If I had a fermentation chamber I would use Damprid from CT. It is a dessicant (CaCl2 I think) that you would just place in the chamber. I use it in my keezer and it works great.

User avatar
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1984
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:49 pm
Location: New Glasgow

Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber

Post by bluenose » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:18 pm

cool, I'll be sure to get some of that

I pulled a sample of each as I filled the kegs and they didn't taste noticeably off... worst case ontario I have some sacrificial suds to give to moochers I don't want coming back for more :rockin:
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

User avatar
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 861
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am
Name: Adam Comeau
Location: Halifax

Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber

Post by CartoonCod » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Its happened to be before and the beer turned out fine. The spores would have a hard time making it in there with an airlock with sanitizer. Next time, you might want to spray around the bung before you take it off to kill anything on the surface.

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber

Post by jtmwhyte » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:19 pm

bluenose wrote:I just gave them each a whiff and they don't smell off. I'm going to go ahead and keg them anyway, but hold off on giving them any co2 until I hear back
I'll take those off your hands to dump since they are obviously ruined :mmm:
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:50 pm

What cartoonCod said. I would have pulled it out,wiped the carboys down,let the air settle, then transferred.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

MarkPower
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:15 pm
Name: Mark Power
Location: Elmsdale, NS

Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber

Post by MarkPower » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:50 am

Dollarama sells a knock off Damprid that I use in my fermentation chamber. Completely fixed up the moisture issue for me.

User avatar
mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 pm
Name: Michael Orr
Location: Middle Sackville

Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber

Post by mikeorr » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:05 am

I'm going to pick up an Eva-Dry 500 http://www.eva-dry.com/products/eva-dry ... umidifier/ for my keezer / part-time fermentation chamber. I like that it's reusable/rechargeable, nothing to dump/replace, sounds like it lasts a long time.

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Mold in Fermentation Chamber

Post by AllanMar » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:27 pm

mikeorr wrote:I'm going to pick up an Eva-Dry 500 http://www.eva-dry.com/products/eva-dry ... umidifier/ for my keezer / part-time fermentation chamber. I like that it's reusable/rechargeable, nothing to dump/replace, sounds like it lasts a long time.
I've got one. Works great, damp rid would freeze up on me. Got mine at kent

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests