Belgium

Travelling? Discuss the "must visit" beer locations during your trip!
SFR709
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Scott

Belgium

Post by SFR709 » Tue May 14, 2019 3:38 am

Hey Fellas, it’s been a little while since I’ve been on but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for breweries or pubs to check out in Belgium? Happy brewing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: Belgium

Post by LiverDance » Tue May 14, 2019 9:55 am

What town's are you visiting? If you like sour beers Cantillon in Brussels is a must. There are also a couple of very cool abbey's you could check out. moeder lambic is also a very good bar in brussels, there are 2 of them i believe
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Fri May 17, 2019 11:01 am

We visited Antwerp and Bruges in October - the only breweries we hit up were the "De Halve Maan" and "Fort Lapin" in Bruge. Both were pretty cool but fairly new compared to the trappist ones.

The owner of Fort Lapin invited us in even though he was closed, and basically cracked bottles and just hung out with us for around 2 hours, that was one of the highlights of our 2 week trip.

In Antwerp, the "Kulminator" bar was pretty neat, they have a bottle list which is impossibly huge (a tome of over 600).

In terms of just what you'll find in bottles at pubs/bars in Belgium (or even supermarkets), I don't think you'll be disappointed.

velvetelvis
Name: Devin

Post by velvetelvis » Sun May 19, 2019 4:02 pm

mdentremont wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 11:01 am
We visited Antwerp and Bruges in October - the only breweries we hit up were the "De Halve Maan" and "Fort Lapin" in Bruge. Both were pretty cool but fairly new compared to the trappist ones.

The owner of Fort Lapin invited us in even though he was closed, and basically cracked bottles and just hung out with us for around 2 hours, that was one of the highlights of our 2 week trip.

In Antwerp, the "Kulminator" bar was pretty neat, they have a bottle list which is impossibly huge (a tome of over 600).

In terms of just what you'll find in bottles at pubs/bars in Belgium (or even supermarkets), I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Just like to add, if you're in Bruge, I highly recommend 't Poatersgat and De Garre.
't Poatersgat has an underground cellar vibe and amazing selection of beers in bottle and tap and De Garre is one of the coolest bars I've been with an immaculate triple for their house beer.

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Sun May 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Can also second De Garre

Return to “Beer Abroad”