How’s your efficiency?

A spot to talk general homebrew
MikeMorrison
Name: Mike Morrison

How’s your efficiency?

Post by MikeMorrison » Wed May 01, 2019 4:18 pm

Curious about the efficiency folks are getting. I use BeerSmith and either a cooler mash tun(5gal) or a keggle mash tun (10gal) and I seem to get anywhere from 55-75% efficiency. That’s a big swing. I order my grain crushed so that might account for the variety. Just wondering if this is similar to other’s experience or if I’m way low.
Fermenting: Sticke Altbier, Amarillo Saison, DDH Amarillo IPA with Verdant Yeast
On Tap: Good Morning Spider Hop Harvest IPA

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: How’s your efficiency?

Post by LiverDance » Wed May 01, 2019 4:20 pm

I'm guessing that you are talking brewhouse efficiency. I typically get 72% on a full volume mash for a 25L batch.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Wed May 01, 2019 4:33 pm

I use a Gatorade cooler (with a BIAB instead of false bottom) along with a Turkey fryer. After much trial and error I now have my efficiency to a consistent 69%, and the last several brews have been within 1 SG point of my target.

One of the biggest fixes was to fill my kettle to the pre-boil I typically want, and scratched the kettle so that when sparging, I just stop once the word reaches that line. Grain is quite cheap compared to other ingredients, so my main concern has been consistency vs high efficiency.

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Wed May 01, 2019 7:12 pm

My brewhouse efficiency is about 68%. I mash with a picnic cooler and batch sparge a couple of times.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Sat May 04, 2019 7:59 am

81% brewhouse efficiency. I use a Robobrew. I was getting 74% until I started to mash 90 min.

MikeMorrison

Post by MikeMorrison » Sat May 04, 2019 2:13 pm

In my original post I said 55-75 but I meant 55-65. I’m probably not super careful with pre boil quantity so that is going to change my consistency for sure. Thanks for the feedback.
Fermenting: Sticke Altbier, Amarillo Saison, DDH Amarillo IPA with Verdant Yeast

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Mon May 06, 2019 12:31 pm

Ya I get between 65-75% Brewhouse efficiency, depending on what I’m brewing. I do full volume mashes with BIAB, I have a few different equipment profiles in Beersmith since efficiency takes a hit on my short and shoddy brew days (30min mash/30min boil) and on higher gravity beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Mon May 06, 2019 2:15 pm

Mine is normally between 72% - 75% depending on batch size/grain weight
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:17 pm

Typically in the 75%-77% range.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Mon May 06, 2019 7:31 pm

I BIAB and get 75% to 82%. Water chem greatly helped as does mash length, grain crush and a small sparge for 10-12 g batches.

D.Pepper
Verified User
Verified User
Name: David Pepper

Post by D.Pepper » Tue May 07, 2019 7:35 am

Having control over your crush size will be one of the biggest contributors in helping you stabilize your efficiency. Before I invested in a mill, I was getting the grain crushed wherever there was a mill to sort me out.

This lead to a wide swing of grain between not really crushed and pulverized dust. Getting a high efficiency in my opinion doesn't matter as much as you want to be able to predict it consistently.

If you have physical access to a mill, a quick check to see the gap size without a feeler gauge is by using a debit or credit card, hotel door card, etc. (they are almost always 0.030" thick) with a piece of printer paper (it's roughly 0.005" thickness) folded over the card to make 0.040". Passing it between the rollers with a slight drag will give you piece of mind that you're in the ballpark. Also make a quick check that the rollers are parallel and haven't shifted from harder grains like from rye or wheat.

Mill gap size is a matter of personal preference and finding the sweet spot in the brewery. Too small of a gap creates finer grist, that lends to a stuck sparge and unpredictable efficiency which nobody likes. Too large, and efficiency will suffer also.

I hope this helps you get your efficiency nailed down!

MikeMorrison

Post by MikeMorrison » Tue May 07, 2019 9:22 am

Thanks! I’ve been wanting to invest in a milk for a while now. It’s probably time!

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Tue May 07, 2019 10:24 am

I’ve been getting grain crushed at various places, efficiency all over the place. Ever place really.

The most consistent has been noble grape burnside however now I live by the rotary and likely will frequent oxford more.

Or buy a mill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeMorrison

Post by MikeMorrison » Tue May 07, 2019 10:55 am

That’s my story too. I’m in Sydney so I get everything shipped in crushed. Or I stock up when I’m in Halifax. A mill and buying by the bag is making more sense all the time.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Tue May 07, 2019 11:27 am

I'd buy a mill and get bulk grains if you can, especially given your location. As other folks mentioned for me it was more about consistency rather than a higher overall BH efficiency.
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Post by danlatimer » Fri May 10, 2019 3:33 pm

Buying by the bag is even better when you get in on a buik buy. It makes grain much cheaper, Typically for a 5g batch I'm paying 6-8 dollars in grain

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”