Kettle

A spot to talk general homebrew
RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
Name: Steffen Rosswog
Location: Baie Verte, NB

Re: Kettle

Post by RossBee » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:32 am

GuingesRock wrote:
EverwoodAveBrewShop wrote:
GuingesRock wrote:19 is close enough to 20, but if you want to make good quality beer must have tri-clad base. Do they have that? I know Dave has some like that. I read something on gas flames with plain SS bases making hot spots (because poor conductivity of stainless) that produce reductones (plain English scorching wort) and it's screwing home brewers.
I would debate this. First, reductones are a broad class of chemicals that have a number of properties, one of which is the ability to absorb oxygen. Reductones occur naturally in beer as they are produced during the kilning process of the malt. Roasting malts is, after all, carmelization of some of the sugars in the grain (the same type of carmelization that occurs with scorched wort). The issue is when fermented beer is exposed to oxygen, the oxygen can be absorbed by the reductones (and other chemical compounds) which in time can produce off flavours. (J. S. Hough, D. E. Briggs, R. Stevens, T. W., Malting and Brewing Science: Volume II Hopped Wort and Beer, Ch 23.3, page 872). So if you don't add excess oxygen to your beer reductones will not, by themselves, cause off flavours.

Second, it is just as easy to scorch wort in a kettle with a tri-clad base as it is a kettle with a single layer base. I have been using a 15 gallon kettle for a few years and after I figured out my burner, have not scorched a single batch. Your assertion that a tri-clad bottom will prevent scorching is misleading at best. What you should focus on is properly managing the heat source so scorching is prevented.

I sell kettles with single layer and tri-clad bottoms and I would rather send someone home with a kettle that works for them. Batch size, process and budget are always the main considerations. Yes, sometimes I think it would be nice to have dropped the $4000 I've spent over the years on a complete system. But I actually still use all of my gear depending on my batch size, time and mood. It wouldn't have mattered what equipment I started out with, it took time to understand proper brewing technique and I'm very happy I started small and worked my way into larger systems.
Send your beer in to competitions and get back to me Dave. It's not a perfect system but it's the best we have. It's not good enough to say "I make good beer and I'm happy with it" without endorsement from BJCP judges. As a supplier thank you for listening. Your objective is to sell, but start the struggles of competing and you'll learn how difficult it is and what's required. AND! it's very difficult. Don't eyewash people. Please learn. Please listen to what people need. It's tricky though. You need to find a market niche. What I need is stuff in stock when I need it, I need other than domestic malt, and I need hop union 1 oz N2 pillow packed hops. But that's just me and my needs. Someone else might need something different.

And, I never have used a boil kettle without a tri-clad bottom so I can't compare, but have read convincing evidence against that.

Mark, Tom wants to upgrade his kettle, period. He doesn't want to win the world over to his brewing skills. He want to go to bigger volume so that he can make bigger batches. Yes, we all agree that there are differences in products, manufacturing, procedures, profiles, the list goes on....... All Tom wants is a bigger pot!!
Why brew beer I can buy?

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: Kettle

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:39 am

GuingesRock wrote:Send your beer in to competitions and get back to me Dave. It's not a perfect system but it's the best we have. It's not good enough to say "I make good beer and I'm happy with it" without endorsement from BJCP judges. As a supplier thank you for listening. Your objective is to sell, but start the struggles of competing and you'll learn how difficult it is and what's required. AND! it's very difficult. Don't eyewash people. Please learn. Please listen to what people need. It's tricky though. You need to find a market niche. What I need is stuff in stock when I need it, I need other than domestic malt, and I need hop union 1 oz N2 pillow packed hops. But that's just me and my needs. Someone else might need something different.
That's exactly correct, everyone needs something different. Making a sweeping generalization as you did before completely contradicts the bolded statement. The post I am debating is where you are telling new brewers they will brew poor quality beer with anything else than a tri-clad bottom kettle because that is what you need. You referenced "something" you read as reinforcement but it was not entirely correct.

My objective is to sell, but there is not one person who walks into my store that I force my opinions on, I'm not in this to get rich. My niche is that I will present the facts and help you choose what you want based on your needs and how you want to do it. Like I said I carry all levels of equipment to address the needs of all types of brewers. I'm not sure why you think I don't listen to my customers, I, in fact base most of my stocking decisions on what my customers want. You have not asked me to bring in anything for you, so please do not make assumptions about my business or motivations without understanding what I do or who I am. The vast majority of brewers want to brew a beer they like and they do not need the validation of a judge to be proud of their beer and their hobby. It is, afterall, just a hobby.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Kettle

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:40 am

Keith, Have you compared the cost. It's the same to get quality ingredients from one supplier vs. sub par ingredients from another. What's the cost of brewing with bad hops that smell like bad feet for 6 months and not knowing, doing your best and sending to competitions, then thinking it's your fault, and all along ....then finding the truth and not legally being allowed to strangle the supplier that you trusted. Go for it man! It's not for me. Live and learn ...well at least I did!
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Kettle

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:44 am

@mark show me the double blind triangle test proving that tri-clad bases make any sweet difference to a beer... Anything else is anecdotal bull.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Kettle

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:44 am

....
Last edited by GuingesRock on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Kettle

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:45 am

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:@mark show me the double blind triangle test proving that tri-clad bases make any sweet difference to a beer... Anything else is anecdotal bull.
I can't
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
Name: Steffen Rosswog
Location: Baie Verte, NB

Re: Kettle

Post by RossBee » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:49 am

Boys, we're talking about increasing a pot size!!!!

We're not discussing tractors or plowing or grain quality or hop additions/quality. It's all about the pot, kettle, boiling vessel, not-leaky-when-hot-thingymachigga.

I'm sure as shit that Tom is some sorry for ever bringing this topic up in the first place.

Tom - go see Dave, period
Why brew beer I can buy?

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Kettle

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:53 am

RossBee wrote:Boys, we're talking about increasing a pot size!!!!

We're not discussing tractors or plowing or grain quality or hop additions/quality. It's all about the pot, kettle, boiling vessel, not-leaky-when-hot-thingymachigga.

I'm sure as shit that Tom is some sorry for ever bringing this topic up in the first place.

Tom - go see Dave, period
Poor Tom :( I'm off to bed.

:cheers2:
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Kettle

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:54 am

RossBee wrote:Boys, we're talking about increasing a pot size!!!!

We're not discussing tractors or plowing or grain quality or hop additions/quality. It's all about the pot, kettle, boiling vessel, not-leaky-when-hot-thingymachigga.

I'm sure as shit that Tom is some sorry for ever bringing this topic up in the first place.

Tom - go see Dave, period
Poor Tom :( I'm off to bed.

:cheers2:
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Kettle

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:02 am

Timelord_ wrote:Sure did. Here are the pots I am debating over.

http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/8_Gallon ... kettle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/16_Gallo ... ed-pot.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/16_Gallo ... welded.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks like you are debating a heavier bottom 8G pot vs a 16G economic pot, both stainless steel construction. What it really comes down to is your personal needs.

You note that you are an extract brewer. I assume that you are looking for a pot to go to full boils over the partial boils you are doing now. The 8G should get you there, but there will be a higher risk of a boilover for each brew.

The 16G economic pot is also a good pot. The advantage of the 16G pot is that the risk of boilover is reduced on 5G batches, and, if you do ever change your mind and switch to all grain, the 16G pot is sized large enough to comfortably do 5G BIAB batches with no new equipment other than a bag for your mash.

There are definitely a couple of choices out there for the 16G pot, as noted in other responses. 8G vs 16G will come down to your own personal preferences, budget, chilling methods and future plans.

Personally, I use the equivalent of the 19G economy pot, available at both OBK and EverwoodAveBrewShop, heated with a Blichman propane burner. I have no issues with scorching and can do 5G BIAB or 10G traditional 3-vessel brews with ease.

One last thing, all measurements I have noted are US Gallons, not imperial gallons.

Good luck with your upgrade.

Edit: Gents - keep in mind this was Timelord's post, looking to upgrade from partial to full boil extract brews.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: Kettle

Post by jtmwhyte » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:01 am

Wow, that escalated quickly! Lol
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Re: Kettle

Post by mcgster » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:31 am

FWIW I brewed many award winning beer on my pot from Dave. I would have loved to pick up a high end heavy duty kettle, but i couldn't afford it then and i still can't now. Since i have moved to NL i have been brewing with a heat stick and not with propane anymore but it is pretty "reductive" to say that you can't brew good beer on a pot unless its a top of the line Blichmann. There are many factors that go into the production of reductones in your beer, i'm pretty sure if you used a jet engine from a CF-18 to heat your wort three triclad bottom pots stacked together wouldn't prevent scorching :)

Had i have waited until i could afford it to buy a better pot i wouldn't have brewed many of those beers that i thoroughly enjoyed and happened to win medals.

I think we need to be careful coaching people in this hobby, every person wants something different from it. It is likely true that for most brewing beer that they enjoy is all that really matters. Lots of people love to go out for a jog, it doesn't mean they get any less out of it because they don't train for a marathon in the Olympics.

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Kettle

Post by jeffsmith » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:05 am

mcgster wrote:FWIW I brewed many award winning beer on my pot from Dave. I would have loved to pick up a high end heavy duty kettle, but i couldn't afford it then and i still can't now. Since i have moved to NL i have been brewing with a heat stick and not with propane anymore but it is pretty "reductive" to say that you can't brew good beer on a pot unless its a top of the line Blichmann. There are many factors that go into the production of reductones in your beer, i'm pretty sure if you used a jet engine from a CF-18 to heat your wort three triclad bottom pots stacked together wouldn't prevent scorching :)

Had i have waited until i could afford it to buy a better pot i wouldn't have brewed many of those beers that i thoroughly enjoyed and happened to win medals.

I think we need to be careful coaching people in this hobby, every person wants something different from it. It is likely true that for most brewing beer that they enjoy is all that really matters. Lots of people love to go out for a jog, it doesn't mean they get any less out of it because they don't train for a marathon in the Olympics.
All this. ^

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Kettle

Post by jeffsmith » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:06 am

Thinking that a good chunk of this thread should be moved to the shit gone sideways thread.

User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Re: Kettle

Post by mcgster » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:12 am

jeffsmith wrote:Thinking that a good chunk of this thread should be moved to the shit gone sideways thread.

Hahaha gone wrong, yes, but it is on topic at least somewhat :banana:

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
Name: Steffen Rosswog
Location: Baie Verte, NB

Re: Kettle

Post by RossBee » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:34 am

Hey Tom, let us know what you decided to go with.
Why brew beer I can buy?

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Kettle

Post by jacinthebox » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:51 am

I started off slow, and upgraded equipment as needed...budget and learning what I was trying to accomplish is why.
when I started...I wouldn't have thought that I would be using a 19gal pot, 30gal mash tun, pump, lager/fermentation chambers, when I first started.
I started with a bucket, carboy...my 1st upgrade was a 47q aluminum turkey fry set up...then keggles and cooler tuns...then 19gal SS pot and 100q cooler tun...then 30gal SS mash tun with chugger pump. My next step would be electric.

When I first started this hobby I wouldn't have dropped the cash for a electric set up with pump big enough to brew 10gal batches...I just couldn't.

Luckily as I upgrade, I was able to easily sell my old gear to new brewers looking to get into the hobby...looking to buy what they needed in order to learn the proper brewing processes.

Hell, even if I dropped $4000 on top of the line gear...my understanding of water, hops, grain & yeast wasn't what it needed to be...so the gear wouldn't have made my beer any better
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 228
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:12 pm
Name: Ivor
Location: Halifax

Re: Kettle

Post by ivorm » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:29 am

So I was hoping to buy one kettle that I could grow into. By the sounds of things I should be looking at a 19/20 gallon kettle. Is a kettle this big too big for say a 5 gallon extract brew?

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Kettle

Post by jacinthebox » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:40 am

ivorm wrote:So I was hoping to buy one kettle that I could grow into. By the sounds of things I should be looking at a 19/20 gallon kettle. Is a kettle this big too big for say a 5 gallon extract brew?
I've made 5 gal batches in mine (boil vol of say 29-30l)...only caution is make sure you put your thermometer low enuf to still get a reading once your wort has boiled down to target batch size...so you know when it's cooled off enuf for pitching yeast
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Kettle

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:11 pm

Good posts above Dave, and well thought out.

Reading through this thread this morning, my posts did go a bit sideways and nonsensical, and I have a bit of a headache today from the Birthday celebrations yesterday.

I really which I could find the study that's supposed to be out there concerning gas flames on SS pots and reductones. Authors write these books but fail to include references. It's in Randy Mosher's new book. I'm trying to find a way of contacting him for a link to the research. He doesn't seem to be on social media. Is he on one of the American forums? It may or may not be important. If you read Randy's mastering home brew book, there are several references to this, and he really seems to think it is an issue.

Expensive Blichmann pots don't have tri-clad. There are some inexpensive pots that do. If you think about your stainless cooking pots in the kitchen, they'll more than likely have tri-clad bottoms to prevent hot spots and food burning.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Kettle

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:51 pm

I just found Randy Mosher's email address and sent him an email asking for the research link.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 750
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:36 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Truro
Contact:

Re: Kettle

Post by mckay75 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:51 pm

ivorm wrote:So I was hoping to buy one kettle that I could grow into. By the sounds of things I should be looking at a 19/20 gallon kettle. Is a kettle this big too big for say a 5 gallon extract brew?

I've been brewing 5 gal batches consistently with my 19 Gal Everwood kettle. Boil off is a bit more...but other than that its great!

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Kettle

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:11 pm

Just remembered Randy says you don't have to have tri-clad, if concerned about this a plain steel plate under the pot evens out the heat of the gas flame.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Hobbitfu
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm
Name: Trevor Funk
Location: Saint John, NB

Re: Kettle

Post by Hobbitfu » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:53 pm

I brew with electric elements mounted... Tri clad or plain don't matter [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Posts: 1190
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
Name: Derek
Location: Truro, NS

Re: Kettle

Post by Woody » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:05 pm

This seems like a how much extra horse power do you want and what is it worth to you. I see both sides of the fence. Some guys will spend allot of money to get that little extra out of their system. It's all about what you want and what you are willing to do to get it. I could afford to drive a nicer car, live in a bigger home but I like living below my means. I have a basic brew set up and I really enjoy brewing on it. I won a bronze medal for my Chocolate RIS with scores of 42/44 and I'm happy with that. Would buying nitrogen flushed hops eliminate chance off flavour and increase consistency? of course! I've always been a bulk buyer and at the end of the day I like a deal. I like simplicity and competition isn't my number one priority. I'll get more enjoyment out of the Advent exchange but again that's me. Others have different goals and interests. Power to anyone who wants to spend their hard earned money on this great hobby in any way they see fit. At the end of the day it's about sharing it and your knowledge! :chug: :cheers2:

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 23 guests