First Wort Hopping

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
Name: Marc Thibodeau
Location: Beaver Bank, NS

First Wort Hopping

Post by mthibodeau » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:12 pm

What are your thoughts/experience/preference with regards to first wort hopping?

Also has anybody here tested it out by brewing the same recipe twice, once using FWH and the other not?
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: First Wort Hopping

Post by amartin » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:22 pm

I haven't done any experiments that way, but I use it a fair bit, in most of my hoppy German ales, and sometimes my IPAs too.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: First Wort Hopping

Post by Keith » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:22 pm

I don't think there is a beer I brew now that I don't FWH. Just easier for me, as I mash out I can throw it in and forget about it. One last thing to forget.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: First Wort Hopping

Post by jacinthebox » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:54 am

I FWH as well... like Keith, it's just out of convenience
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: First Wort Hopping

Post by Jimmy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:47 am

I've tried it - don't have a preference.

saosborne
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: sean osborne
Location: Fall River

Re: First Wort Hopping

Post by saosborne » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:53 pm

I FWH for everything now. brewed the same recipe twice don't know if it tasted any better but hop additions prior to the boil tend to equal less boil overs = less cleanup = better beer or at least less cleanup

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests