Pin or Ball lock?

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
Name: Marc Thibodeau
Location: Beaver Bank, NS

Pin or Ball lock?

Post by mthibodeau » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:02 pm

So I picked up 2 ball lock kegs a few weeks back, and bought a pin lock off kijiji yesterday (guy said in the emails that it was ball, but for $25 it was still too good to pass up).

So right now I don't have a full set up, just the three kegs, and a co2 tank so now is the time to decide, do I go with ball lock or pin lock and why?

Whichever way I do go I'll be looking to trade the other style
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Pin or Ball lock?

Post by jacinthebox » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:00 pm

ball lock fit better in my fridges...tall and skinny.
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: Pin or Ball lock?

Post by chalmers » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:29 pm

I think the CO2 regulator you just bought has the pin lock quick disconnect on it, which is another consideration.

So trade two balls for pins, or trade one pin and one pin QD for one ball and ball QD.

Do you know where the kegs will end up? As Justin said, the shape/size of the kegs are different, so that will usually be the determining factor.

Either way, you should be able to to make either trade without too much headache, people are moving from one to another every once in a while around here.

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
Name: Marc Thibodeau
Location: Beaver Bank, NS

Re: Pin or Ball lock?

Post by mthibodeau » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:39 pm

Not sure where they will end up yet, probably a mini fridge based kegerator, if I'm really lucky I'll yet the one in Lawrencetown, so the ball locks sound like the way to go.

Also my brother in law has ball lock so that could be good as well, that way we can loan each other gear if need be. So probably going with ball lock, I'll post I'm the classifieds,

Thanks for the advice
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: Pin or Ball lock?

Post by jtmwhyte » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:35 pm

I originally went with ball locks and switched to pin locks later. In my original keg fridge the ball locks would be right up against the freezer compartment. I had to connect them outside of the fridge and then slide them in. The more Stout on locks have me room to maneuver above the keg in the fridge. On a side note pin locks seem to be easier to come by and usually cheaper than ball locks.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests