Google Ads

A spot to talk website specific issues
dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Name: deano

Re: Google Ads

Post by dean2k » Tue May 27, 2014 9:13 am

If every view is an execution, would is not be beneficial to remove the bots and keep the forum off of web searches?

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Tue May 27, 2014 9:19 am

Re: BN fund:
I have ~$50 from the sticker sales.
No markup (that I know of) from glassware or clothing has been implemented.
With the increase in price of the growlers from the supplier, I wasn't going to implement another BN cut there (already $1 per higher than our original quote).
Biggest moneymaker has been the grain group buys, someone involved there can let us know.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Tue May 27, 2014 9:43 am

I'll through in some cash next time I see you or Jimmy.

Sandy

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Tue May 27, 2014 10:49 am

As things stand right now, I suspect we might be able to make it to the end of the day today. We will have to make a decision if we don't want the site to be down for the remainder of the month.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Tue May 27, 2014 11:06 am

My vote would be to upgrade and we should start accounting for a small % tacked on to all group buys to cover the cost if the 5% on grain buys doesn't cover things.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Tue May 27, 2014 11:09 am

I would like to contribute $20 anually (more if required) as long as I am on here. It's worth that 100 times over. One beer magazine costs that.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Tue May 27, 2014 11:15 am

I don't see the 5% on grain buys not being able to cover hosting unless we get into a dedicated server or VPS.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Tue May 27, 2014 11:17 am

This "number of executions" thing sounds like highway robbery, but thinking about it it's actually a pretty smart model on the hosting side. Unlimited bandwidth can't hurt you too much if there are executions tied to it. And if someone wants to peg the CPU constantly they'll have to upgrade to a package that pays for giving them their own resources.

Do we have a feel for how much bandwidth the board pushes? I recently got a VPS from cloudatcost.com. They're offering one-time purchases at quite reasonable price. They do have occasional downtime and latency, but so far for my money I've been pretty happy. The Developer 3 package would probably run this board fairly well for the same $20/mo or $140 one-time payment, assuming bandwidth usage isn't way higher than I'm guessing it is (and if it is high we can probably mitigate that a little by putting caps on photo sizes and such; there are some very large photographs hosted on this board ;) )

The downside of the VPS model as compared to a package hosting deal is the amount of administration. Someone's got to admin the OS, install the relevant packages, perform routine maintenance, etc. It also depends on the board being implemented on an open source stack that can be migrated (which it very well might be I'm just not familiar).

I haven't officially worked as a Unix admin in several years but I still do a fair amount of it at work. I am willing to put some time into at least getting it off the ground and into a maintainable state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Tue May 27, 2014 11:20 am

So far this month we've used 25.5GB of bandwidth.

I'm open to anything - there's plenty of guys on here that are more knowledgeable at this than I am. If someone who knows what they are doing wants to get a new hosting packing that will suit our needs and can move the site, I'm open. The current host was selected 4 years ago because it was known as a good host for phpbb3 forums...I'm sure lots of things have changed since then and better options are probably available. I don't think any of us expected the site to grow to the size that it has.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Tue May 27, 2014 11:48 am

mumblecrunch wrote:
The downside of the VPS model as compared to a package hosting deal is the amount of administration. Someone's got to admin the OS, install the relevant packages, perform routine maintenance, etc. It also depends on the board being implemented on an open source stack that can be migrated (which it very well might be I'm just not familiar).

....They do have occasional downtime and latency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we have a good host, it might be better to stick with it. Might screw things up and be a lot of work trying to save a few $.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue May 27, 2014 12:27 pm

I'll send Dave a pm, he should have a record of the money we have and transfer to you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Post by TimG » Wed May 28, 2014 5:15 pm

This is good discussion, and probably should have a different subject line so folks are aware it is happening. My suggestion, is do whatever monthly fee upgrade is needed in the short term and then take a month to figure out the best plan going forward (keep paying upgrade on current server, go to new provider with plan type XX, etc). This takes the pressure off a quick decision and will allow for a less painful transition for the folks that have to do the grunt work if we do make a move.

PS: Thanks Jimmy!! :cheers2: :rockin:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed May 28, 2014 6:07 pm

I think I posted yesterday (but likely got lost during the switch to the new server) - the site has been upgraded for the next 3 months to allow us to keep it running and plan what we want to do for hosting when it's due for renewal in September. We have $227.17 available for our annual renewal in which would total 323.40USD, if we decide to stick with the current host.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed May 28, 2014 6:47 pm

And there's no saying if our executions would move past 800k in the next year.. Double the price for only 25% more executions is kind of a crap deal. The three month thing is a great choice though, it will give us time to decide what to do

Thanks for running the site everybody!
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:59 am

So the renewal is coming up and we need to decide what route we want to go with this. The charges we would pay to keep our current plan and the money we currently have available are in my previous post.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:44 am

Jimmy wrote:I don't see the 5% on grain buys not being able to cover hosting unless we get into a dedicated server or VPS.
Is this still true? I certainly don't mind paying my 5% tithe on grain to keep the site running and continue with the status quo for the next 12 months while we explore other options.

Is there a way to get the site out of your name Jimmy and set up as its own entity? We may have to appoint a treasurer or something. I'm thinking that will allow us to implement the Google Ads again, but not get you tagged for income tax.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:48 am

Have you looked at other vendors? Doteasy has a couple of options. They also have a 9.95 plan with unlimited storage (non SSD) for 9.95 /month or 3.98 per month for the first year.

Unlimited SSD Hosting 11.95 /month or 4.95 for first year.

For high performance websites
Free Domain Name†
100 GB SSD Storage
Unlimited Data Transfer
Unlimited Domain Hosting
Unlimited Email Accounts
PHP/MySQL
Free shared SSL, FTP, Stats
30 Day Money Back Guarantee
PHP is required for scripts such as WordPress, Joomla, and osCommerce.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:00 am

What are we looking at for the current grain buy for 5%? I think we bring in enough money to do the $323.40. As far as other options, no help here....
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:37 am

Tim Hortens cup on Spring Garden Rd!

Sandy

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Keggermeister » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:58 am

Has anyone asked if Everwood may like to sponsor and have some ads here? It sounds like great value for his business.

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:31 am

mr x wrote:What are we looking at for the current grain buy for 5%? I think we bring in enough money to do the $323.40. As far as other options, no help here....
I'm with X - I thought the 5% on grain buys was enough to cover ...
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:33 am

Yes, the 5% should cover if we want to stick with our current plan, but that's the decision that needs to be made.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 am

Jimmy wrote:Yes, the 5% should cover if we want to stick with our current plan, but that's the decision that needs to be made.

I wonder if the decision could be made as easily as this: do any of us really have the spare time to do the transfer to another hosting provider that we wouldn't rather spend with our families or brewing/drinking beer? Factor in the cost of someone's time to do that (even if they're not getting paid) and we're really not going to save much money in the short term.

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:48 am

jeffsmith wrote:
Jimmy wrote:Yes, the 5% should cover if we want to stick with our current plan, but that's the decision that needs to be made.

I wonder if the decision could be made as easily as this: do any of us really have the spare time to do the transfer to another hosting provider that we wouldn't rather spend with our families or brewing/drinking beer? Factor in the cost of someone's time to do that (even if they're not getting paid) and we're really not going to save much money in the short term.
Well said!
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:56 pm

jeffsmith wrote:

Well put. But the short term isn't really the concern here (well it is as the renewal is coming up). But what do we do long term, as the executions continue to grow? This hosting provider costs seem to jump significantly as executions go up.

But yeah, I don't have enough knowledge to be any use with providers etc.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Return to “Site Discussion”