BAB Herald Article

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

BAB Herald Article

Post by mr x » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:05 am

Bad Apple gets good reaction to homestyle brewing

http://thechronicleherald.ca/business/1 ... le-brewing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When Jeff Saunders and Kari Smith officially opened Bad Apple Brewhouse at the beginning of the year in Somerset, Kings County, the plan was to keep it small.

However, customers and orders keep pouring in to the craft brewery, located in an outbuilding on the couple’s rural property near Berwick, and there is constant pressure to increase production, Saunders said Monday.

“We started doing this for fun and enjoyment, and that’s the way we want to keep things for now.”

Saunders started to seriously reach out for some in-depth consultations with experts in the craft brewing business around Nova Scotia about four years ago after many years of hobby brewing.

The couple agreed a modest craft brewery, designed as an interesting part-time project to supplement their full-time jobs, would get them participating in an intriguing, growing economic sector.

While Saunders handles the brewing side of the business, Smith tends to sales.

The five-hectolitre capacity brewery is selling out of small speciality batches and demand continues to increase for the brewery’s American Pale Ale, described as a bolder-than-usual pale ale.

“We haven’t even had time to get a sign up,” Saunders said. “People are finding us through word of mouth.”

An assortment of craft brews at Bad Apple Brewhouse are sold mostly in take-home growlers (1.8-litre jugs) and squealers (750-millilitre bottles). The small brewery also provides kegs for on-tap service at one pub in the Annapolis Valley and another in Halifax.

“We’ve literally been swamped with orders and suggestions for new varieties,” Saunders said. “We can’t make enough brew to keep up.”

It is exciting to launch a successful hobby business, he said. The demand for Bad Apple craft brews indicates the business is on the right track with its product mix, Saunders said.

The couple has agreed to keep the business manageable and to maintain its steady, if modest, flow of production.

“Our situation is not unique,” Saunders said. “Many of the craft brewers around the province are challenged by product demand that exceeds capacity.”

Speculation about expanding the business has been put off for another day while the couple considers some fun and “obscure” varieties to satisfy the thirst of their customers for their flavourful brews.

“At this point, we’re interested only in producing our best brew and not more brew,” Saunders said of the business that has been turned away since the craft brewery went into production.

This week, there is a brew in production called Mosaic Double IPA, which is set to go on sale around Father’s Day.

All proceeds from sales of Mosaic Double IPA will be donated to Brigadoon Children’s Camp Society, operating at nearby Aylesford Lake, and also to the local Down syndrome society.

It is a brew of passion for the couple, whose eight-month-old son was diagnosed at five months with mosaic Down syndrome, a rare form of the genetic condition. The brew will feature mosaic hops, brought in specially from the West Coast for the fundraising project.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Re: BAB Herald Article

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:34 pm

Really nice story.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:51 pm

Great read. Thanks for Sharing. :cheers2:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Post by bluenose » Mon May 05, 2014 4:26 pm

Great read, thanks for the share

Can I put in a pre-order for some of the Mosaic Double IPA?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

HPhunter
Vendor
Vendor

Post by HPhunter » Mon May 05, 2014 5:35 pm

When it gets closer I will disclose my plans for distribution. It will be available in bottles for sure. As much as I hate filling them!
"Home of the Shockerrrrrr!"

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Shane

Post by canuck » Tue May 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Awesome stuff Jeff, great story! :headbang:

Ladd
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt

Post by Ladd » Tue May 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Great story, awesome to hear of your success! I was fortunate enough to get to try your APA last night and wanted to let you know I thought it was delicious! Great job man, I wish you and your family all the best!
"If you want to make wine all you have to do is tread a few grapes. Try treading some barley and all you'll get is sore feet" - Dr. Charles Bamforth

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Sat May 24, 2014 6:07 pm

Max (with his coat hood up, at the back, in the group picture), his best friend’s mother, an old friend of Kathleen's also, is a director of Brigadoon, and I think his friend’s grandmother is involved from it's founding. That’s how I understand it. Anyway I took Max to his friend’s birthday party there today. It wasn't open yet for the season. They had games, archery, canoe rides, camp fire roasting hot dogs etc. It was an amazing place. The tales of magic and joy were awe inspiring. Children with heart transplants meeting other children with heart transplants. Children with feeding tubes meeting older children who had their feeding tubes taken out. Parent’s connecting and also having a break. Children coming alive and enjoying life as children should. Magical place and my pictures don’t do it justice. Good call Jeff and Kari (and people who buy your beer) to back that place. :cheers2:

Max’s friend’s other mummy (same sex couple) is a great musician. She works with at risk inner city children, bring music into their lives, She plays at the school house brewery thing too. In the treat bag Max brought home from the party was a CD of children’s music she did, including a song she wrote for her son on his birthday.

Great people, working together, huge amounts have been donated to that place, and it's enriching all our lives, just by being there and helping people and children, and bringing joy to their lives. :cheers2:

http://www.brigadoonvillage.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:24 am

Jeff

This appers to be on sale. Can I order a Growler and pick up next weekend?

Sandy

HPhunter
Vendor
Vendor

Post by HPhunter » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:20 pm

You sure can. We are getting some great community support, and we will be presenting the checks on Sunday. Also there will be bottles of it for sale in HRM soon.
Jeff

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Post by Broob » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Went to Harvest Wines tonight because I heard they had some Mosaic DIPA but sadly they were out. Is there any plans to stock them with more? Or any of the other beers for that matter?
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

HPhunter
Vendor
Vendor

Post by HPhunter » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:08 pm

Other beers will see there way in at some point.
I have a 100 bottles here at the brewhouse that I haven't decided what to do with yet.
Sorry to hear you didn't get any.
Jeff

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:59 pm

HPhunter wrote:Other beers will see there way in at some point.
I have a 100 bottles here at the brewhouse that I haven't decided what to do with yet.
Sorry to hear you didn't get any.
Jeff
See who wants some and send it to the city! :cheers2:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Return to “Bad Apple Brewhouse”