Verified User

Growler filling @ RockHead

Post by RobD » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:22 pm

FYI. I got this info from Rockhead on their growler filling prices:
Current prices without tax and deposit.

Tatamagouche Brewing Co. Butcher's Red Fill $15.00
Sea Level Brewing Scotch Ale $13.00
RockHead Pale Ale $10.00

We are currently working out our 4th beer!
I've asked about who is making the RockHead Pale. I'll update when I hear back.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Re: Growler filling @ RockHead

Post by Keith » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:30 pm

Tatamagouche Brewing Co. Butcher's Red Fill $15.00
Is that a typo? Seems kind of expensive for what it is, considering that doesn't include tax.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:31 pm

however the RH PA seems inline for what it is.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:32 pm

Was really hoping for some awesome beer on tap. Hoping this list improves..has anyone tried the Tatamagouche Red? How is it?

RobD
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RobD » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:47 pm

I haven't tried the Tata Red, but I've only heard good things about it.

RH PA *could* be a good deal, but depends on what it it. It's $1 more than Propeller/Garrison. It may be a good deal, but it could also be Molson Export in disguise.

RobD
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RobD » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:16 pm

The 4th beer will be something from Uncle Leo's.

RH PA is made by Garrison.

RobD
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RobD » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:24 pm

RobD wrote: RH PA *could* be a good deal, but depends on what it it. It's $1 more than Propeller/Garrison. It may be a good deal, but it could also be Molson Export in disguise.
My bad. Prices have gone up since I last bought at Propeller/Garrison. They are $10 too.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:28 pm

The only issue I see with those prices is that they dont include tax. I wonder if that's a mistake? $17.25 for the equivalent of a 6 pack is not a great price. $15 taxes in seems more in line with what'd I'd expect
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Shane

Post by canuck » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:32 pm

Yeah, those prices are a little on the high side for a growler. ANBL only charges $12 for a growler of my beer and that's taxes included.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:36 pm

Prices definitely seem high, though I'd be willing to pay it for some good beer. Nothing on that list is going to get me into the store for a growler fill - hopefully that will change.

RobD
Verified User
Verified User

Post by RobD » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:22 pm

For comparison, North Brewing's prices are $13.50-$15 for a growler fill. I'm not sure if taxes are included or not. One could probably argue about product superiority for either side. I'm sure RockHead will get some more interesting things in. The addition of Uncle Leo's will be nice. That'll make at least 3 products that can't be bought locally, and paying a slight premium could be worth it to some - me included.

I suppose it's personal preference whether those prices are worth or not. I can see RockHead selling a lot, even at a more expensive price point, given their location. A couple of bucks more to avoid having to go to the deep south end for Garrison, or find parking near North/Propeller, makes it worth it to me.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:38 pm

RobD wrote:For comparison, North Brewing's prices are $13.50-$15 for a growler fill. I'm not sure if taxes are included or not. One could probably argue about product superiority for either side. I'm sure RockHead will get some more interesting things in. The addition of Uncle Leo's will be nice. That'll make at least 3 products that can't be bought locally, and paying a slight premium could be worth it to some - me included.

I suppose it's personal preference whether those prices are worth or not. I can see RockHead selling a lot, even at a more expensive price point, given their location. A couple of bucks more to avoid having to go to the deep south end for Garrison, or find parking near North/Propeller, makes it worth it to me.
Business wise, I don't think they will have an issue selling anything. Beer geek wise, I'm disappointed in the selection. The Tatamagouche Red is the only thing not available locally, isn't it (assuming Rockhead Pale is just a standard Garrison beer rebranded)? I'm hopeful that the selection improves, as having beers available that I otherwise wouldn't be able to purchase in store is what makes the growler fills enticing.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Yeah to me $15 isn't too much if taxes are in, but only if its a beer you can't get otherwise - its pretty comparable to what rockbottom charged, for instance. If they got in some fresh beer from Maine, NB, QC of elsewhere I'd almost definitely fill a growler.

I have pretty strong hopes that it will expand and get more interesting as time goes on.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Shane

Post by canuck » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:57 pm

Jimmy wrote:
RobD wrote:For comparison, North Brewing's prices are $13.50-$15 for a growler fill. I'm not sure if taxes are included or not. One could probably argue about product superiority for either side. I'm sure RockHead will get some more interesting things in. The addition of Uncle Leo's will be nice. That'll make at least 3 products that can't be bought locally, and paying a slight premium could be worth it to some - me included.

Business wise, I don't think they will have an issue selling anything. Beer geek wise, I'm disappointed in the selection. The Tatamagouche Red is the only thing not available locally, isn't it (assuming Rockhead Pale is just a standard Garrison beer rebranded)? I'm hopeful that the selection improves, as having beers available that I otherwise wouldn't be able to purchase in store is what makes the growler fills enticing.
Exactly. That's one of the things that is a bit of a disappointment with the ANBL growler program. For example, at the local KV store Moosehead has a dedicated tap every single week and it's a constant rotation of Boundary, Barking Squirrel, and HopBot. I can get all of those beers already, so why offer them in growler format? Especially Boundary, which is available in bottles, cans, singles, six packs, and cases. Does it really need to be available in growler format as well? Like you mentioned, it's being able to fill a growler with something you can't purchase otherwise is what makes it enticing for people.
Last edited by canuck on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:58 pm

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:Yeah to me $15 isn't too much if taxes are in, but only if its a beer you can't get otherwise - its pretty comparable to what rockbottom charged, for instance. If they got in some fresh beer from Maine, NB, QC of elsewhere I'd almost definitely fill a growler.

I have pretty strong hopes that it will expand and get more interesting as time goes on.
The difference being that you can't buy Rockbottom beer elsewhere..but you may have been making the same point with that comment.

Paul
Name: Paul Dickson

Post by Paul » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:58 pm

The price for the Tata Red definitely seems high in comparison but if memory serves me I paid about $6 for a 650ml bottle of it at Truro Farmer's market a few months back. A growler is just shy of how much beer you get from three of those ($18 for 1.95L, opposed to $17.25 for ~1.89L) so the pricing seems to be in line with their bottle prices. Living in the south end though that selection isn't good enough for me to make the trip over, hopefully it will improve in the future.
Bottled: Espresso Stout
Fermenting: Imperial IPA, Smokey Vanilla Porter
On Deck:

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:02 pm

Paul wrote:The price for the Tata Red definitely seems high in comparison but if memory serves me I paid about $6 for a 650ml bottle of it at Truro Farmer's market a few months back. A growler is just shy of how much beer you get from three of those ($18 for 1.95L, opposed to $17.25 for ~1.89L) so the pricing seems to be in line with their bottle prices. Living in the south end though that selection isn't good enough for me to make the trip over, hopefully it will improve in the future.
Yea I just looked on their website, must be their pricing strategy. Shows $7.50 for a 1L bottle.
I'd be curious to try their Pale Ale, but forget paying $13 for SL

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:07 pm

Keith wrote:
Paul wrote:The price for the Tata Red definitely seems high in comparison but if memory serves me I paid about $6 for a 650ml bottle of it at Truro Farmer's market a few months back. A growler is just shy of how much beer you get from three of those ($18 for 1.95L, opposed to $17.25 for ~1.89L) so the pricing seems to be in line with their bottle prices. Living in the south end though that selection isn't good enough for me to make the trip over, hopefully it will improve in the future.
Yea I just looked on their website, must be their pricing strategy. Shows $7.50 for a 1L bottle.
So please explain why I'd buy a growler instead of 3 bottles that I can open as I desire, rather than all at once?

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:17 pm

Cause your a beer whore.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:17 pm

You're.... Unless autocorrect

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:19 pm

Keith, it was a rhetorical question, but that's a reasonably acceptable answer.

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:17 pm

Jimmy wrote:
So please explain why I'd buy a growler instead of 3 bottles that I can open as I desire, rather than all at once?
Because the bottles aren't in Halifax?
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:24 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:
Jimmy wrote:
Because the bottles aren't in Halifax?
Good point :lol:

I just assumed they sold it in bottle format at Premier since it was available in bottles from the brewery.

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:10 pm

I was offered the first growler pour today but I felt poor when confronted with the price of the Tatamagouche. The growlers themselves aren't unreasonable ($7 to purchase).

The store itself is considerably smaller than Premiere but I was assured that they have all the beers they had before, just maybe in smaller quantities.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:16 pm

KMcK wrote:The store itself is considerably smaller than Premiere but I was assured that they have all the beers they had before, just maybe in smaller quantities.
Where are the single bottles/cans located? The only selection I could make out from the pictures on facebook were the cans/bottles in the cooler.

Return to “Rockhead (Formerly Premier Wine & Spirits)”