Its cider time, looking for ideas

Want to discuss wine & mead? This is the spot!
patman
Name: Patrick

Its cider time, looking for ideas

Post by patman » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:56 pm

Looking for a recipie that doesn't require me to keg it, or any of that. I see on here, and looking around online most people use apple juice from a store, 2-5 pounds sugar, brown or white, and then the yeast everyone says something different, so I'm here looking for idea's suggestions/best recipes as its my first actual cider, i want something if possible that is slightly sweetish (not sure how to back sweeten and all) im told wine yeast should do it but would cap out around 9-10 percent? and if i used a champaine yeast it would be dry and slightly bitter. I have heard some people using regular beer yeast like coopers or what ever, But again i figure there is enough knowledge here and trials fails and success that someone has a wicked recipie.

For me i was going to do mostly juice from a store (with nothing added in it) and also juice some real apples for freshness and all, probally 5-6 L of fresh, mabye more i do have access to alot of apples, i'm not really a fan of brown sugar, so i thought 2 pounds of white table sugar, and then 3 pounds of corn sugar, with the yeast nutrient of course, But at a loss for the yeast.

Sorry if i'm all over the place, dipped into some home made strawberry wine earlier :P

CiderBeerWine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: G

Re: Its cider time, looking for ideas

Post by CiderBeerWine » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:56 pm

Just wing it man!

You may want a little pectic enzyme to help clarify it. I think there are actual cider yeasts too, but I always just use whatever extra yeats I have around. That recipe will be pretty strong, I imagine around like 10-12% I wouldn't exceed 7 % if you want it bubbly.
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer

Return to “Wine & Mead Discussion”