Elderflower Wine

Want to discuss wine & mead? This is the spot!
Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Neil

Elderflower Wine

Post by Juniper Hill » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:31 am

I've been trying to get an elderberry orchard started over the past few years. It's been a tough battle vs. the deer and aphids, but I think I'm winning. I'm going to try making some Elderflower wine this fall (will sparkle some of it). Most recipies call for sugar, water, lemons and acid. I thought it might be better tasting (and more body) to use a white kit as the base instead. Anyone ever used elderflowers before?

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Re: Elderflower Wine

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:39 am

My mother made it for us kids when I was young in the UK. I don't think it was alcoholic (but might have been LOL). It was called elderflower champagne. We loved it. Sugar and lemons I think. I think the wine kit would mask the delicate elderflower taste ...but you could try it both ways.

My older sister got a letter from my father many years ago:
Not much in the way of news apart from Betty's assassination attempt on me. She called it elderflower champagne. "It's no good" she said "no fizz" but at supper yesterday I offered some to Mark and Polly and nearly got blown to buggery. There were 4 more of them (flagons) lined up beside my chair all in a critical state of immanent explosion.

J.K. has got a massive bird-scaring device operating day and night, just up behind the cottage. It produces a report equal to a 4.7 calibre artillery piece every 50 seconds. This nerve wracking sound barrage produces an attenuated state of consciousness, sort of waking sleep during the day, sort of sleeping wake during the night, all this resulting in a psychopathic edginess unsuitable for sustaining sudden interruptions of high velocity elderflower foam. Fortunately I'm a fairly level-headed, even-tempered well-balanced, unflappable sort of chap, well used to dealing with sudden emergencies, not to mention life or death situations, so the only casualty was 'What'sit' the new kitten (it's had so many names tried out on it since it's arrival that that's what it's now called.) It left the room in such a hurry that it failed to break hard enough when it reached the other room fire-place and was halted by the brickwork.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

CiderBeerWine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: G

Post by CiderBeerWine » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:22 pm

In the UK they also now make a sparkling wine of seyval blanc and elder flowers, that's like their thing I guess. So yeah I would go with the white wine kit if I were you, it will likely be way better. Boil the flowers in the water you add to the concentrate from the kit, or add the elderflowers like adding hops when you dry hop maybe?

Sparkling is always the way to go
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:45 pm

CiderBeerWine wrote:In the UK they also now make a sparkling wine of seyval blanc and elder flowers, that's like their thing I guess. So yeah I would go with the white wine kit if I were you, it will likely be way better. Boil the flowers in the water you add to the concentrate from the kit, or add the elderflowers like adding hops when you dry hop maybe?

Sparkling is always the way to go
Thanks. I hadn't thought about "dry hopping" with elderflowers. Great suggestion. I ended up purchasing a fairly low end Riesling kit for this wine. Will definitely sparkle.

CiderBeerWine
Verified User
Verified User

Post by CiderBeerWine » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:17 pm

Any luck?

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:38 pm

CiderBeerWine wrote:Any luck?
The elderflowers are just starting to bloom, so will be another week or two. Found some wild red elders on my property - pretty but poisonous. Won't be picking those one.

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:02 am

Harvesting elderflowers last few nights with the kids. They seem to be enjoying it. Should have enough by tonight. I'll freeze them until I'm ready to get things started.

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:41 am

Had been harvesting past few days, freezing the previous day's haul to prevent mold. Turns out elderflowers brown when frozen, which isn't great for white wine. I set up the unfrozen flowers in some boiling water and sulfite to steep. Tons of colour coming out the flowers. Will add the Riesling kit tomorrow. I'll harvest some more flowers on Thursday, pasturize and add to the fermenting wine.

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:44 am

Going to aim for a cooler ferment to preserve aromatics. Cellar is 65 F, which is the best I'll be able to do over the summer.

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:09 am

SG down to 1.005. Racked to secondary. Smells great and tastes really nice. Lots of elderflower flavor with some citrus undertones. Does not taste like the base wine at all.

CiderBeerWine
Verified User
Verified User

Post by CiderBeerWine » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:50 am

thats awesome

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:13 pm

The wine has fallen beautifully clear. I'm going to rack and hit it with a dose of biolees to give it some body and a perception of sweetness. I'll then bottle with some encapsulated yeast to sparkle.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:50 pm

:cheers2: :cheers2:
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:53 pm

Racked this last week. The elderflower is a little muted, kinda just tastes like white kit wine. :( I'm still planning to sparkle it, so that and a little sweetness might bring out the flower flavours.

Return to “Wine & Mead Discussion”