Making Maple Wine

Want to discuss wine & mead? This is the spot!
maltster
Verified User
Verified User

Making Maple Wine

Post by maltster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:11 am

My wife and I sampled some maple wine last week at Jost Winery. My wife loved the stuff and wants me to make some. We have our own maple syrup so I thought I'd try a sample batch. What kind of yeast should I use? I picked up an EC-1118 and an K1-V1116 as they had those in stock at the local wine shop. Or should I use a clean beer yeast? Should I use a yeast nutrient?
The wine was very sweet. I'm guessing 1.020 maybe??

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Neil

Re: Making Maple Wine

Post by Juniper Hill » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:29 am

My wife and I used to drink this one many years ago. NIce dessert wine.

Can't find much on the residual sugar for this wine, you might have to buy a bottle and test with a hydrometer.

I'd suggest a low alc tolerance wine yeast like D47. It typically stops fermenting at 13-14%, that way you'll be close to the 12% that Jost describes. EC1118 or KiV 1116 will ferment up to 16-18%, which might be a little hot (and not in a good way). Yeast nutrient is critical. I'd also recommend fermenting cool (15-20C) to preserve aromatics.

Here is a link to Jack Keller's site where he makes Maple Wine. This recipe will not get you a Jost Maple wine clone, but may give you a few ideas. http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request132.asp

Cheers,

Neil

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:29 pm

I have not tried this, but I think it would be 'maple-ier' than the recipe above, since it involves concentration via boiling of the sap (the process that produces most of the maple flavour and aroma): http://the2mckees.com/blackmutt/2011/03 ... aple-wine/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry1
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Henry Stern

Post by Henry1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:18 am

Rather than rely on the yeast getting tired you can aim for SG=1.090, ferment it dry with whatever you want, stabilize it with sulphite and sorbate, then backsweeten to taste.

maltster
Verified User
Verified User

Post by maltster » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:58 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm getting some yeast nutrients and may start it this weekend.
I'll post the progress here.

Return to “Wine & Mead Discussion”