Mead and Hops

Want to discuss wine & mead? This is the spot!
Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Neil

Mead and Hops

Post by Juniper Hill » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:16 pm

I have this friend who wants to bitter mead with hops. He doesn't wish to boil the honey for long, so as to preserve the aromatics. Can the hops be boiled in water for 60 mins to bitter?

Is there a role for aroma hops in mead, or would that turn out weird?

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Re: Mead and Hops

Post by akr71 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:06 pm

I would boil the hops with some malt extract and then mix that with the honey. I've never done it, but that's what I would do - then I'd call it a braggot.
"Braggot: Also called bracket or brackett. Originally brewed with honey and hops, later with honey and malt—with or without hops added. Welsh origin (bragawd)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:21 pm

I believe the liquid needs to be acidic to extract the bitterness, but I could be wrong on that...but there is a reason you won't get much bitterness by boiling hops.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:04 pm

Use hop extract? http://morebeer.com/products/isohop-bit ... -1-oz.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks guys.
He' going to try 1/2 the honey added to the biol to aid in hops extraction. The remaider of the honey will go it at flameout to preserve some of the honey aromas.

I'm going to have to try making a Braggot. It was actually Braggot (the idea of making one) that got me back into brewing after being out of it for 15 years. It'l have to wait, as my next project is either a Lager or Barleywine.

Cheers,

Neil

kchad
Verified User
Verified User

Post by kchad » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:59 pm

Maine Mead Works in Portland, ME has a fantastic dry-hopped honey wine. They use Cascade in the boil and then dry-hop it post-fermentation. See here... http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/maine-mead ... ad/127317/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adams81
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Geoff

Post by adams81 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:30 am

Dunhams Run in NB produces a hopped mead. Tried a bottle on the weekend, along with their traditional mead. It was my first experience with mead so I can't give much of a review. Most people preferred the hopped version because of the bitter finish. I did notice that the hopped version seemed lighter in color than the traditional version, almost like the slightest amount of cloudiness.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:25 am

adams81 wrote:Dunhams Run in NB produces a hopped mead. Tried a bottle on the weekend, along with their traditional mead. It was my first experience with mead so I can't give much of a review. Most people preferred the hopped version because of the bitter finish. I did notice that the hopped version seemed lighter in color than the traditional version, almost like the slightest amount of cloudiness.
I've never heard of that winery before! Going to have to give that mead a try...

Sent from a rotary telephone using taps talk
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

adams81
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Geoff

Post by adams81 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:23 pm

$20 per 750ml bottle, and available in nb liquor stores.

Honestly I wasn't a fan of it. The traditional had a hint of honey aroma, started very slightly sweet to a fairly boozy finish. The hopped version tended to cover the alcohol a bit, which I think is what made it appealing. I was surprised by the lack of honey flavour.

That is my very, very inexperienced review.

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:28 pm

I've only had one locally made mead, from Lunenberg Co. Winery. It wasn't great. Really hard to find commercial mead at all.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:26 pm

The lunenburg county mead is not good at all haha. It's the only mead I've had other than a home made one that was quite good.

Sent from a rotary telephone using taps talk
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Graham Clark

Post by Graham.C » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:47 pm

I just found a bee keeper post move and am picking up my 30# pail this weekend. I will be experimenting with braggot this fall and winter. I would love to hear how the hop-honey wine turns out.
-Graham

Return to “Wine & Mead Discussion”