First time mead

Want to discuss wine & mead? This is the spot!
Tree-ations
Name: Rob

First time mead

Post by Tree-ations » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:44 pm

I have never even tasted mead, but keep hearing about it so decided to give it a try.

I made 2 gallons on 19-dec-2022 and it is still bubbling away! How long does mead usually take to ferment (at room temp)?

Also taste wise, I am assuming a sweet kinda of honey Flavor with a bit of zing…? Is that close? :).

Rob

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Re: First time mead

Post by Broob » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:46 pm

It can take months to ferment if you didn't use yeast nutrients. How sweet it is will depend on how far it ferments. I would take a hydrometer reading to see where you are. If you used a wine yeast it could ferment all the way down to dry and not be sweet at all. The flavour depends a lot on the honey type.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

Tree-ations

Post by Tree-ations » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:37 pm

Thanks! I’ve been resisting opening it while it’s still bubbling away. It’s been slower the last couple of days so I might take a reading soon.

Thanks!

Tree-ations

Post by Tree-ations » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:30 pm

Coincidentally it stopped bubbling soon after I posted, 3 months to stop. It finished at 1.007 which should be just under 14%.

It is pretty “tangy” right now. I just bottled it all up and will let it mellow in the basement for 6 months and see what it’s like. I think it’s going to be tasty. :).

Return to “Wine & Mead Discussion”