Cider from apples extraction process?

Want to discuss wine & mead? This is the spot!
DeliriumTremens
Name: Jon

Cider from apples extraction process?

Post by DeliriumTremens » Sat May 16, 2020 6:30 pm

This fall I am looking to make a batch of cider or 2. I recently moved into a place with 2 apples trees, so I'll already have the apples. What juicing or extraction methods do you guys use? I was thinking just buy a cheap juicer off kijiji, but I have my doubts those things can handle 5 to 10 gallons of apples at once. I have seen some people pulping their apples and then pressing. Just putting feelers out there, maybe if someone has some kit they might be interested in processing my apples for a fee (or free apples)?

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Neil

Re: Cider from apples extraction process?

Post by Juniper Hill » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:05 am

I've seen youtube videos where people have repurposed (new) garbage disposals to pulp the apples before pressing. You can purchase a dedicated apple grinder, but they are a little pricey. Pressing is typically done with a basket press like the ones used for pressing grapes.

JayColli
Name: Jay Colli

Re: Cider from apples extraction process?

Post by JayColli » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:44 pm

A countertop juicer most likely won’t be able to do 5-gal in a single session without overheating. I’ve been able to do 1-gal batches no problem but you don’t get nearly as much juice as you would with a press.

What kind of apples do you have? I just started building up my cider orchard a couple years ago - Nova Spy, Golden Russet & Muscadet de Dieppe with Kingston Black and Dabinett coming in the spring.

Return to “Wine & Mead Discussion”