Green Herb Risotto

Have a food related recipe you'd like to share? This is the spot!
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Green Herb Risotto

Post by mumblecrunch » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:59 pm

We made this tonight as it's one of our go-to recipes for when we don't want to think too hard. Vegetarian, tasty, and the kids will eat it.

If you already know how to make risotto, just make yourself a bog-standard white risotto the way you know best and add the herb paste. If you don't know how to make risotto, I highly recommend that you learn to do so. Whether you're vegetarian or not, it's dead simple once you get the hang of it, it's amazing comfort food, people will love you for it and you can do a whole bunch of things with it.

Original recipe is from Bon Appetit

-----
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups (loosely packed) fresh baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup (loosely packed) fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup (loosely packed) fresh Italian parsley leaves
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 garlic clove, sliced
2 cups low-salt chicken broth
2 1/2 cups water

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 medium leek (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups short-grain rice (such as arborio) or medium-grain rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving

METHOD
Blend first 5 ingredients in processor until thick paste forms. Bring broth and 2 1/2 cups water to simmer in saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to very low; cover to keep warm.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add leek; sauté until soft, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add rice; stir until heated through, about 3 minutes. Add wine; simmer until absorbed, stirring often. Add warm broth mixture 1 cup at a time, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding next and stirring often, until rice is tender but still firm to bite, about 20 minutes. Cover; remove from heat. Let stand 3 minutes. Uncover; stir in herb paste, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately in warm bowls, passing additional Parmesan cheese alongside.
-----

It's fine with regular onion (did this tonight, in fact), but I definitely prefer it with leeks. I almost always use more garlic than a given recipe calls for; this one is no exception. Depending on your rice, I find 5 cups liquid (.5c wine, 2c broth, 2.5c water) isn't enough. I usually use the called-for wine, a tetrapak of broth (4c) and at least another cup of water if not two. If you're using chicken stock it might be different, but 95% of the time I'm using vegetable stock. It turned out a little drier for me than I like tonight with about 6c liquid. 1/4c of parmesan is probably better on your waistline, but I don't ever use less than 1/2c. Grana Padano works okiefine as well.
Green Herb Risotto
We put tomatoes on ours tonight. Just a pint of cherry/grape tomatoes sauteed lightly over high heat in some olive oil and then deglazed (not really; non-stick pan, but whatever) with some red wine and balsamic vinegars. If I wanted to add meat to it I'd almost certainly grill some nice big shrimp in the 8/10s or 6/8 range. The tomatoes are really lovely though and provide a pleasant acidity to counter the richness of the risotto.
greenherbrisotto-withtomatoes.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Phil

Re: Green Herb Risotto

Post by dexter » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:10 am

risotto is a go to for us, usually seafood, mushroom or corn, but this looks awesome!

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: Green Herb Risotto

Post by mr x » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:57 am

Very nice. Roasted parsnip (pureed) is also excellent.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Return to “Food Recipes”