Bouillabaisse

Have a food related recipe you'd like to share? This is the spot!
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Bouillabaisse

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:19 am

keithforbes wrote:As for plans, I'm waiting for my daughter to fall asleep (so far 80 minutes past bedtime) so my wife and I can enjoy the Bouillabaisse I made.
Bouillabaisse is one of my favorite meals. I used to have it when I was visiting my sister who lives in Provence. Did a search on here and no one has mentioned it before. Did you have saffron in it?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Re: Bouillabaisse

Post by NASH » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:53 am

I make it now and then, love the stuff!

Recipe.....

Serves: 4-6
Time: 1 hour

Ingredients

Stew:

2 large tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped

1 large onion, chopped

4 garlic cloves, chopped

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

3-4 small boiling potatoes, cut into cubes

1/2 cup finely chopped fennel bulb

1 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads

2-3 roasted red peppers, sliced

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 quarts of fish stock

12-15 mussels, cleaned

8-10 medium sized clams, scrubbed and cleaned

2 lobster claws

10-12 medium shrimp

Seared Sea Bass & Lobster Tail:

4 x 6-oz fillets of sea bass

1 lobster tail, steamed, split in half lengthwise

2 tablespoons clarified butter

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 sprig fresh thyme

1 sprig fresh parsley

Kosher salt and pepper

Saffron Rouille:

1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads

1/4 cup Pernod

1 cup of mayonnaise

2 tablespoon water

NO2 charger + 2 NO2 cartridge

Garnish:

Fresh crusty bread, toasted

1 pinch of fresh grated orange zest

1 pinch of freshly chopped tarragon

Directions
Begin by setting a large pot over medium-high heat. Add olive oil then add potatoes, onion, garlic and fennel. Saute for 10-12 minutes until potatoes cook lightly and fennel and onions wilt and start to break down. Add saffron, tomatoes, peppers and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes so everything comes together as the base for your stew. Season with salt and pepper then add fish stock and bring to a simmer.

Add clams first and give them a head-start to cook first. After a few minutes add mussels (but reserve 3-4 to cook in the pan to be used as a garnish). Place lid on and bring to a simmer. Remove lid and add lobster claws then return lid. Simmer for 10 minutes then use an immersion blender to puree some of the stew ingredients -- this will naturally thicken your stew. Finish with olive oil.

Sear the fish: In a large non-stick pan add clarified butter and set over high heat. Season fillets of fish with salt and pepper. Add to the pan and cook fro 2-3 minutes per side. Add thyme and parsley to the pan to infuse. Add shrimp and the reserved mussels to the pan to cook as well. Cook for 2 minutes then remove everything to a platter and set aside. Season lobster tail and add to the pan with the same butter you cooked the fish and shrimp in as well. Warm through briefly then set aside.

Prepare saffron rouille: In a large bowl add saffron and Pernod. Stir well until saffron dissolves. Add mayonnaise and thin out with a few drops of water. Mix well then add to an NO2 charger. Shake well then set aside.

To serve place stew and ingredients in a large bowl. Top with seared fish, shrimp, lobster and mussels. Garnish with fresh orange zest, and tarragon. Serve with crusty bread and dispense with some light and airy saffron rouille.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:31 pm

No I didn't have any Saffron, this was prepared from memory of when I ate it at a restaurant a few times. It tasted really good, not as thick as I wanted, but added more water than I should have. Should get it right the next time I make it. :cheers2:

Also I only like shell fish, and surprisingly sobeys was out of clam juice, so had to improvise.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:08 am

Another version came by email from my Provencal sister this morning.

1. Fry up onions, leek, celery, add toms, garlic add rock fish* (no oily ones) orange peel and fennel, one litre of water to one kilo of fish. (cook till mushy before adding water)

2.Cook for about an hour and then strain. Add saffron to the stock. The stuff that is strained out is discarded.

3.Cook your fish (no oily ones) in soup. Biggest fish in first, and potatoes cut in slices, mussels prawns, all or any shell fish.

4. Serve soup with croutons rubbed with garlic and grated gruyere, then fish in soup.

Need 2 lots of fish. Little crappy ones for soup (fish stock) and handsome ones to serve up in dish.

That's just the basics, if you have good fresh fish you can't go wrong.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Return to “Food Recipes”