Brewnosers Weather Channel

Talk anything non-beer related
mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Re: Brewnosers Weather Channel

Post by mthibodeau » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:00 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:Hmm... Wonder what we will come home to. We flew out in the height of Sunday's storm so haven't seen any of it.
Sundays storm isn't even close to today, that was refreshing flurries compared to this. I'm not even kidding you may want to buy a shovel on you way home from the airport
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:20 pm

mthibodeau wrote:
LeafMan66_67 wrote:Hmm... Wonder what we will come home to. We flew out in the height of Sunday's storm so haven't seen any of it.
Sundays storm isn't even close to today, that was refreshing flurries compared to this. I'm not even kidding you may want to buy a shovel on you way home from the airport
:lol: Welcome to the winter the rest of Nova Scotia has been experiencing.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:20 pm

It's FUCKED! hahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa
NEX41235.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:17 pm

Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:21 pm

snow banks are one roommate tall
2015-03-18.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jon S

Post by gm- » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:29 pm

I can easily walk up to my roof and can't see out of my living room and bedroom windows. Easily 16 ft drifts in the back yard. Fun stuff, haven't seen snow like this since I was a kid in Iceland.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:50 pm

20150318_150808.jpg
this was taken this morning. It has got much worse.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

the-mailman
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Bruce Mailman

Post by the-mailman » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:22 pm

About 72cm on top of the 45 we got on Sunday. My deck has 8 feet of snow piled up almost to the roof. About 5 feet everywhere else. Winter has to stop.
11081353_10202395261921453_7064296618793183189_n.jpg
11041804_10202395262601470_2540984842740023762_n.jpg
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner

In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty

Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime. :)

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:25 pm

I need to venture out but not sure I have it in me to shovel and watch it all blow back in.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:40 pm

I shovelled twice already, lots blew back in so I'm waiting this time. I went out for a bit in the jeep ealier, it was fun but crazy out. I'm starting to go stir crazy though... doing dishes and cleaning up a bit to keep myself sane. I don't have the energy to brew or I would.

Storm beers and supper next.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:50 pm

Don't know who wrote this, it's on several sites:
My First Taste of Winter . . .

December 8 - 6:00 PM. It started to snow–the first snow of the season in our new house. Susan and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the big living room window, watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven and fill up the backyard. It looked like a Grandma Moses Print--so romantic. We felt like newlyweds. I love snow!

December 9 - We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving here was the best idea we've ever had. I shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again–the driveway and the sidewalks. Later the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life!

December 12 - The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much more snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14 - Snow, lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to minus 20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish l wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15 - 20 inches forecast. Sold my Toyota and bought a 4x4. Bought snow tires for Susan's car and 2 extra shovels. Stocked the freezer. Susan wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16 - Ice storm this morning. Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. Susan laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17 - Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for five hours. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at Susan and try not to irritate her. Guess I should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20 - Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the damned stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. Damn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the local hardware stores to see about buying a snow blower. They all said they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I think he's lying.

December 22 - Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white crap fell today. It's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to pee. By the time I got undressed, peed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob, who has a plow on his truck, for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the *#$% is lying.

December 23 - Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0 degrees. Susan wanted me to decorate the front of the house for Christmas this morning. Is she, nuts?! Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did. I think she's lying.

December 24 - 6" today. Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the S.O.B. who drives that snow plow I'll drag him through the snow and beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling. Then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight Susan wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the damn snowplow.

December 25 - Merry f---ing Christmas! 20 more inches of the damn slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel. Susan says I have a bad attitude. She really gets on my nerves. If I have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time, I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26 - Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It was all HER idea. She's really starting to annoy me.

December 27 - Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze, plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him. Happily, he charged only $1,400 to replace all the pipes.

December 28 - Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. The SHREW is driving me crazy!!!

December 29 - 10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30 - Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver; he is now suing me for a million dollars not only for the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his b---. Susan went home to her mother. 9" more predicted.

December 31 - I set fire to what's left of the house. No more shoveling.

January 8 - Feel so good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I tied to this bed?
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Shane

Post by canuck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:12 pm

gm- wrote:I can easily walk up to my roof and can't see out of my living room and bedroom windows. Easily 16 ft drifts in the back yard. Fun stuff, haven't seen snow like this since I was a kid in Iceland.
If there is any consolation Jon, I haven't seen a winter like this either.......and I'm 42. Considering we beat the snowfall record from 54 years ago, southern NB has just been slammed this year. :(

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:48 pm

I'm lovin it, went out on a crazy carpet today, bruised a rib
Conditioning:

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:17 am

CAa4DaoUgAA_nb6.jpg
-Mark

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:33 am

I've heard 85 cm for sackville

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Post by Broob » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:13 am

My dog has been wearing a diaper since I can't get my fucking door open.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:29 am

That sounds horrid. If you can't get out, you can call the fire dept.
-Mark

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:50 am

GuingesRock wrote:That sounds horrid. If you can't get out, you can call the fire dept.
So they can set fire to your house like in your earlier post? That would be satisfying!

;)

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Keggermeister » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:27 am

I'm so fucked... 400 foot driveway.
Driveway1.jpg
Driveway2.jpg
Driveway3.jpg
This one is from the last storm.
Driveway4.jpg
SnowBlower.jpg
You can't even see the blower. It's digging a tunnel the whole way.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:10 am

GuingesRock wrote:
CAa4DaoUgAA_nb6.jpg
I wonder if those numbers are accurate? We got way more than 18cm here. My driveway was almost waist deep this morning.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:37 am

I don't trust the Halifax number either - I had to shovel about 60cm, but that was in the driveway, where most of the snow seemed to pile up.
Conditioning:

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:40 am

I got that of twitter yesterday morning. It's for 24 hours. More came before/after. The two day amount would be a lot more I think.
-Mark

canuck
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Shane

Post by canuck » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:43 pm

jeffsmith wrote:
GuingesRock wrote:
CAa4DaoUgAA_nb6.jpg
I wonder if those numbers are accurate? We got way more than 18cm here. My driveway was almost waist deep this morning.
Yeah, same here Jeff. It snowed non stop for about 30 hours here and we got WAY more than 18cm........more like 35 or so. Fucking winter! :x

dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Name: deano

Post by dean2k » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:40 pm

In case you guys haven't seen it already.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:23 pm

Special weather statement in effect for:
•Kings County

Early spring storm to bring a wintery mix of weather Thursday night to Saturday.

A complex low pressure system will approach the Maritimes late Thursday and move slowly across the area Thursday night. A trough associated with this low will linger south of Nova Scotia on Friday. A series of lows will make their way northeastward within the trough into Saturday.

Precipitation is forecast to begin as flurries early Thursday morning over Southwestern Nova Scotia and spread eastward through the day..Changing to rain as the day progresses. A brief pause in the precipitation is expected late Thursday ahead of a second pulse which will bring heavy rain to Southwestern Nova Scotia Thursday evening. Rainfall warnings are in effect for Shelburne and Yarmouth counties Thursday night - 25 to 45 millimetres of rain are possible there by Friday morning when rain will ease. 10 to 20 millimetres of rain are forecast for the remainder of the mainland. Heavier amounts are also possible along the Atlantic Coast and through the Annapolis Valley and warnings there may be required.

Rain will taper to showers through the day Friday before changing to flurries late in the day as temperatures fall behind the trough. Flurries could become snow at times heavy across the province occasionally Friday night and Saturday with freezing rain possible along the Atlantic Coast. The system is expected to finally move away from the Maritimes Saturday evening making way for fair weather on Sunday.

In addition to the rainfall, a significant amount of snow melt is likely to contribute to possible local flooding.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as warnings may be required or extended.

Please monitor the latest forecasts and warnings from Environment Canada at http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
-Mark

Return to “Off Topic”