Items for sale/trade
PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Free - Shoreline 2 Row

Post by PMackie » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:00 am

Hi Everyone,

I am going to stick with my trusted viking 2 row and have more ordered this weekend. With all the issues everyone had with the shoreline 2 row I am going to part with the bag. Would anyone be wanted to take it off my hands. Its free since I just need it out of my garage.

Thanks!
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

HotBreak
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Drew Turton

Re: Free - Shoreline 2 Row

Post by HotBreak » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:03 am

I hear ya. Am close to dumping my 2 bags in the woods but am so cheap it hurts to think of wasting it....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chug, Chug, Chug.....

JayColli
Name: Jay Colli

Post by JayColli » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:05 am

How big are these bags? 25kgs? I've got hungry chickens...

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:16 am

I haven't even opened mine but it can't be that bad?
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:28 am

RubberToe wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:16 am
I think the malt fits certain recipes. I've been treating more like a British Malt (ie Maris Otter) and have used it in some Bitters, a Mild, Pale Ales and will use it in an upcoming Porter recipe. To finish off the bag I might use it in a Brett beer.

Knowing that it might have been kilned a little longer and thus affecting the final gravity of the beer I've been altering my recipes when using it as the base malt.

I wouldn't consider it a direct substitute for North American 2-Row.

Mash low, long and fine with gelatin/biofine and you can get a pretty decent beer!
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

Beert
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Bert

Post by Beert » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:58 am

wcturnedec wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:28 am
RubberToe wrote:
I think the malt fits certain recipes. I've been treating more like a British Malt (ie Maris Otter) and have used it in some Bitters, a Mild, Pale Ales and will use it in an upcoming Porter recipe. To finish off the bag I might use it in a Brett beer.

Knowing that it might have been kilned a little longer and thus affecting the final gravity of the beer I've been altering my recipes when using it as the base malt.

Mash low, long and fine with gelatin/biofine and you can get a pretty decent beer!
I used 3.85kg of it in a 5.5kg grist bill and after fighting through a stuck recirculating mash there was no sparging it. I even added 200g of rice husks.
Having said that it wasn’t that bad on previous batches when I split it half and half with Viking pilsner, which is what I had on hand. Definitely hard to hit the numbers though.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:01 am

Beert wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:58 am
wcturnedec wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:28 am
RubberToe wrote:

I used 3.85kg of it in a 5.5kg grist bill and after fighting through a stuck recirculating mash there was no sparging it. I even added 200g of rice husks.
Having said that it wasn’t that bad on previous batches when I split it half and half with Viking pilsner, which is what I had on hand. Definitely hard to hit the numbers though.
As I do full volume mashing/no-sparge with BIAB I don't often run into stuck sparges. I imagine if I had to recirculate I'd have a different opinion for sure.
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:04 pm

Yeah I mean with limited space, I just can't foresee myself fully using it any time soon. So making room for other things. If the chickens would want it, by all means its available. If someone wants it to brew with, even better.

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:37 pm

I've had no sparging issues with it doing batch sparges in my cooler mash tun. Recently did a 50/50 pale and wheat with a handfull of rice hulls and it was all good. I know a guy starting to get serious into all grain that is not in the group buys yet and is having trouble sourcing base malt. I would be happy to mill it up for him as a welcome to the brewnosers community offering.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up Jeremy,I'll gladly take it off if your hands
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 am

know1 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:37 pm
I've had no sparging issues with it doing batch sparges in my cooler mash tun. Recently did a 50/50 pale and wheat with a handfull of rice hulls and it was all good. I know a guy starting to get serious into all grain that is not in the group buys yet and is having trouble sourcing base malt. I would be happy to mill it up for him as a welcome to the brewnosers community offering.
I can drop it off to you at your place if you like, or at the group buy since we are in the same time slot. This sounds like a great example of putting it to good use! It helps out the brewing community and takes it off my hands.

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by know1 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:29 am

PMackie wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 am
know1 wrote:
I can drop it off to you at your place if you like, or at the group buy since we are in the same time slot. This sounds like a great example of putting it to good use! It helps out the brewing community and takes it off my hands.
Maybe best if you can drop it by here. I have my 4 bags plus 3 for snowboybrown at the pickup. I am around anytime. Let me know and I can have a WC sample bottle ready for you too.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by PMackie » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:30 pm

know1 wrote:
PMackie wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:08 am
know1 wrote:
Maybe best if you can drop it by here. I have my 4 bags plus 3 for snowboybrown at the pickup. I am around anytime. Let me know and I can have a WC sample bottle ready for you too.
I’ll drop off on the way back from
The group buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by know1 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:10 am

Perfect, thanks Paul!

Return to “Classifieds”