Look for Conical Fermentor

Items for sale/trade
Fishcoppop
Name: David Wamback

Post by Fishcoppop » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:42 pm

Hey Guys, I’m looking to purchase a 7 or 14 gallon conical. I was looking on OBK but thought I would reach out locally first to see if there are any kicking around.

Thanks,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NovaJeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Walsh

Re: Look for Conical Fermentor

Post by NovaJeff » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:06 pm

Fermzilla’s at Everwood Ave. Just picked up a 7 gallon.

Fishcoppop

Post by Fishcoppop » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:58 pm

NovaJeff wrote:Fermzilla’s at Everwood Ave. Just picked up a 7 gallon.
Have you had much experience with them Jeff? I’ve been doing some research and a lot of the plastic conicals I’ve read about have issues with leaks and not holding seals. Yet with a little TLC and Macivering I feel like the price point is way better and could get me by. More so than paying for a SS conical.

Last edited by Fishcoppop on Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wader98
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Wade

Post by wader98 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:34 am

I also picked one up a few months ago at noble grape when they came out. First brew was actually wine so didn’t use any of the fermenting under pressure but no issues. Just put a stout in on Friday and it’s now fermenting under pressure with no leaks.

Fishcoppop

Post by Fishcoppop » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:19 am

wader98 wrote:I also picked one up a few months ago at noble grape when they came out. First brew was actually wine so didn’t use any of the fermenting under pressure but no issues. Just put a stout in on Friday and it’s now fermenting under pressure with no leaks.
That’s good to hear, all the videos I find show flaws of all different types of fermenters. So I guess it comes down to price point and what if I want to do pressure transfers and ferment under pressure.

wader98
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wader98 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:17 am

Yeah I was very skeptical at first but seems there are many videos on your tube that still recommend them (David heath, dr Hans to name a few) lots of info on the fermzilla Facebook group as well.

BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BBrianBoogie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:26 am

Have you considered fermenting in kegs? I split 22L batches in half and ferment in corny kegs. Then transfer both to a single serving keg(or bottling keg). No problem holding pressure, and closed tranfers are simple. You could also get a larger sanke keg and ferment in that.

Fishcoppop

Post by Fishcoppop » Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:43 pm

BBrianBoogie wrote:Have you considered fermenting in kegs? I split 22L batches in half and ferment in corny kegs. Then transfer both to a single serving keg(or bottling keg). No problem holding pressure, and closed tranfers are simple. You could also get a larger sanke keg and ferment in that.
I have considered it and like the idea of it. What are the sanke kegs like to wash after? With the Trub in the bottom are they hard to get clean and washed? I like the idea of a single vessel for each batch just to save on space.

BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BBrianBoogie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:24 pm

I don't have any sanke kegs, sorry. If I remember correctly, Spindrift is/was fermenting small batches in them, likely some other breweries/homebrewers as well.

In my experience with corny kegs, the trub/bottom requires no scrubbing at all. A quick soak in hot water and oxyclean, then spraying it out gets it completely clean. The yeast line at the top of the liquid does, however, need a quick soak/scrub to get it all off.

Mac_Brew
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeff

Post by Mac_Brew » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:44 am

I have a 7 gallon SS Brewtech Conical Ferentator I am looking to sell. Never been used. Send me a PM and I can get you some pics and discuss if you want.

Jeff

NovaJeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by NovaJeff » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:30 pm

Fishcoppop wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:58 pm
NovaJeff wrote:Fermzilla’s at Everwood Ave. Just picked up a 7 gallon.
Have you had much experience with them Jeff? I’ve been doing some research and a lot of the plastic conicals I’ve read about have issues with leaks and not holding seals. Yet with a little TLC and Macivering I feel like the price point is way better and could get me by. More so than paying for a SS conical.

I’ve got my first batch in now and working fine. Watched all the videos and water testing working out. Looking forward to dry hopping with and closed transfers will be little smoother than bucket. Keep you posted

wader98
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wader98 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:02 pm

NovaJeff wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:06 pm
Fermzilla’s at Everwood Ave. Just picked up a 7 gallon.
did it come with the red ball lock posts or do they sell them @ everwood. Noble grape is all sold out.

NovaJeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by NovaJeff » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:25 pm

I did not, ordered pressure kit from Canuck and actually have scored couple extra posts from noble, they order them in from somewhere...only took a few days.

Fishcoppop

Post by Fishcoppop » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:01 pm

Found a fermentor guys! Thanks for all the help and offers!

Return to “Classifieds”