Page 1 of 7

BJCP Exam in Halifax - Jan 31, 2015

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:40 pm
by Brewnoser
I may be able to swing an early exam date due tio a cancellation.

How may interested in January 31, 2015. That's almost 3 whole months to study for an exam that is mostly tasting and judging using the style guidelines.

Takers?

Jeff

pinhey@gmail.com

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:43 pm
by Jimmy
I think I'd be interested.

Would there be a "study group" with bad beers, spiked beers, etc., similar to the last round?

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:50 pm
by GAM
I'll through my hat in too.

Sandy

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:55 pm
by LeafMan66_67
I think I can swing that - assuming what Jimmy thinks is true.

Edit: that's a firm yes from me.

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:57 pm
by amartin
I might be interested.

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:59 pm
by chalmers
I believe we could get enough local folks, Jeff. Maybe first priority to Brewnosers, but there are other groups interested. 3 months should be enough time to study.

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:08 pm
by mumblecrunch
I would be interested in this, especially if there's study group.

/a

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:39 pm
by mikeorr
mumblecrunch wrote:I would be interested in this, especially if there's study group.
Seconded!

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:47 pm
by LiverDance
I'm in

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:40 pm
by Keith
Slammed at work so no time to really study the guidelines. Will need to try for the next. GL to everyone! :cheers2:

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:45 pm
by mcgster
Would this be on the 2008 guidelines, i've been studying the 08's but i noticed on the bjcp forum some people are saying that after Jan testing will start switching to 2014

Really really want to do this, not sure how well i'd do at this stage but i could probably swing a respectable attempt.

Brewnoser wrote:I may be able to swing an early exam date due tio a cancellation.

How may interested in January 31, 2015. That's almost 3 whole months to study for an exam that is mostly tasting and judging using the style guidelines.

Takers?

Jeff

pinhey@gmail.com

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:06 pm
by Brewnoser
Ok. It's a go. Gentlemen start your engines. Next chance would be summer of 2016.

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:26 am
by Brewnoser
Up to 10 probables now. (2 from Newf and one from NB)

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:25 pm
by Brewnoser
11 now.

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:35 pm
by AngeSponge
I'm a yes! Will the new guidelines be in use by then or will it be the 2008 styles?

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:26 pm
by dexter
My wife and I would like to join in too .

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:00 pm
by Brewnoser
15 now. And only 12 seats.

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:02 pm
by mcgster
Maybe you could do an eventbrite sign up or poll to make sure that people who are interested get signed up.

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:36 pm
by gm-
I would be interested, but the timing doesn't work for me. I'll guess I will have to wait until 2016.

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:28 pm
by jeffsmith
gm- wrote:I would be interested, but the timing doesn't work for me. I'll guess I will have to wait until 2016.
Same here. Hoping to pursue this when the kids are a bit older and I'll have a bit more available time to study.

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:39 am
by Brewnoser
We are on the schedule: http://bjcp.org/exams.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have 15 names of interested people, and I have the order i which they made their interest known.

I only have 12 seats.

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:18 pm
by CorneliusAlphonse
Last time we had a few people drop out after a bit. The same thing could happen this time. Or at least let the 3 extras know they are 1st/2nd/3rd in line and that they may not get to write - the practice judging is helpful regardless

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:37 pm
by Brewnoser
Absolutely.

Two of the people in early are from Newfoundland, and may not come at all.

ANother was very tentative.

Re: BJCP Exam - 2008 Guidelines Apply

Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:39 pm
by Brewnoser
I have checked with the exam director. He indicates that the new Guidelines are still under discussion and would not be launched until at least 6 months from now. So this exam will be conducted using the 2008 Guidelines.

Jeff

Re: BJCP Exam - Tentative Date

Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:54 am
by LiverDance
Brewnoser wrote:We are on the schedule: http://bjcp.org/exams.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have 15 names of interested people, and I have the order i which they made their interest known.

I only have 12 seats.

Jeff, as mentioned the other night I won't be doing the course so you can bump someone up the list.

:cheers: