Hoptoberfest 2021: September 11

Discuss past/present/future events

When are you available for Hoptoberfest? Check all dates you can attend.

Poll ended at Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:12 am

September 11
33%
September 18
19%
September 25
24%
October 2
24%

Total votes: 21

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Hoptoberfest 2021: September 11

Post by KMcK » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:12 am

Back by popular demand (or at least the four people who mentioned it in another thread), it's Hoptoberfest 2021! Start brewing your hoppy beers if you haven't yet and bring them out to my place in the west end of Halifax. Last year's Hoptoberfest was cancelled so let's try to make up for beers lost to the pandemic.

September 11, 2021 is the chosen date, with several following weekends to reschedule in case of inclement weather. Festivities start around 4:00 p.m. and run until midnight. Brewers may drop off their beer and gear any time during the day. E-mail me for the address if you don't have it.

We need some volunteers to help with the organization as there are many tasks to undertake (ice, food, promotion, sponsorship, etc.). Check out previous years' threads on the topic if you want to know more or contact me or Chalmers.

A sign-up sheet is available so you can let us know what you hope to bring and help with planning the event.

Finally, please note that this event is subject to whatever provincial health requirements and public gathering limits are in place on the chosen date and may be cancelled at any time up to the chosen date should pandemic conditions worsen.
Last edited by KMcK on Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Re: Hoptoberfest 2021

Post by Celiacbrew » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:52 pm

Happy to volunteer for whatever but don’t know what to do. You can send me random tasks and I can take care of them.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Re: Hoptoberfest 2021

Post by amartin » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:13 am

Whoo! Hoptoberfest! Get excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Re: Hoptoberfest 2021: September 11

Post by KMcK » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:02 pm

September 11 is the date! It's time to add yourselves to the sign-up sheet so we can make preparations for the long-awaited event. Volunteers are need for a few duties. I'll write some descriptions of when needs to be done in a few days.
McKeggerator:

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:18 pm

I’ve marked my calendar!

Johnnyk
Verified User
Verified User
Name: John Kinsman

Post by Johnnyk » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:48 am

Forgive the newbie question. Where is the sign up sheet?

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by KMcK » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:51 am

Here's the link to the sign-up sheet.
McKeggerator:

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by KMcK » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:34 pm

Volunteer Task 1: Ice

Having plenty of ice is necessary for Hoptoberfest because the event is held outside for eight hours during (hopefully) warm, summer weather. We need someone to make some calls ahead of time find a friendly restaurant or pub with an ice machine that can help us. Someone with contacts in the industry would be best for this. We'll need about six coolers full. I can provide a few coolers but we'll need other people to lend us a few.

On the morning of the event at least two people will have to pick up the coolers at my place, have them filled at the pub/restaurants(s), and drop them off at my place. Doing this in the morning allows the ice machine time to make enough ice for the afternoon. Having at least two people makes carrying the ice out of the business much easier.
Last edited by KMcK on Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
McKeggerator:

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by KMcK » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:59 pm

Volunteer Task 2: Food

Food at Hoptoberfest is mostly potluck-style (snacks, salads, other side dishes, and deserts) or bring your own food to cook on the barbecue, but to honour the Bavarian origins of Oktoberfest in a Hoptoberfest way we have had hop sausages made by local butchers in past years. They've been so popular that people sign up for a few to eat at the event and more to take home uncooked. Some years we've also procured freshly baked buns.

Cam (wcturnedec) arranged for the hop sausages at the last Hoptoberfest so he can direct whoever takes on this task to a suitable butcher. I can provide the hops. We can discuss a recipe on the forum or just use the one from last time.

We try to sell the sausages at cost plus a small markup to cover other Hoptoberfest costs.

If there isn't enough interest this year we can easily do hamburgers instead.

:bbq:
McKeggerator:

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:13 pm

I can definitely spare a cooler, and I don’t mind stopping at a bar or restaurant the morning of for ice. I don’t actually have any contacts at any though, so if anybody else does that would be helpful.

Hoptoberfest! Whoo! It’s a week and a half, why are we not seeing more people signed up?

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by KMcK » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:22 pm

Volunteer Task 3: Promotion

Hoptoberfest is the sort of event we can promote to other interested groups, such as the Ladies' Beer League. We've also invited our favourite brewmasters and bar staff from local pubs and some of them came over after their shifts and we had fun serving them for a change.

Seeing that it's been two years since the last Hoptoberfest and we have plenty of new Brewnosers some promotion in the main forum wouldn't hurt. Not everyone looks in the event section or is aware that this is the Brewnoser event of the year to attend.

Does anyone have any other ideas for promotion?

:welcome:
McKeggerator:

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:47 pm

Won't be able to attend this year I'm afraid, heading out of town on Friday for work. Was really looking forward to seeing everyone!
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by KMcK » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:07 pm

A few updates:
  • Interest is picking up. That's good.
  • I'll have a keggerator set up in the back yard so the need for ice will be greatly reduced. We can send someone out for bags of ice if we need more cooling capacity.
  • Although there's plenty of interest in eating hop sausages no one has volunteered to get them made for us. Instead I can do burgers on the barbecue for a couple of bucks each. I have plenty in the freezer so there's no need to commit to them ahead of time. Everyone is welcome to bring their own food to cook on the barbecue too.
McKeggerator:

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:02 pm

I think I am going to have to miss tomorrow’s festivities due to illness. Have fun tomorrow everyone.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by KMcK » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:14 pm

Anyone can come. Festivities start at 4 p.m.

Anyone who wants to drop something off during the day (e.g. a beer keg) just leave it in the back yard.
Last edited by KMcK on Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McKeggerator:

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:30 pm

Thanks for hosting Kyle! It was great to get out and meet some of the Brewnosers! Looking forward to future events. Cheers!
Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

Return to “Events”