Comfortably Numb IPA

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Comfortably Numb IPA

Post by LiverDance » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:25 pm

This is the recipe for the IPA I brought to the Nov 10 meeting. Glad you folks enjoyed it, i've posted the recipe in a generic way so anyone can fit it to their system.

Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 93.8 %
Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) 6.3 %
Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 28.8 IBUs
Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 33.3 IBUs
Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min 26.5 IBUs
Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min 15.1 IBUs
Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 9.2 IBUs
London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968)
50.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
50.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Est Original Gravity: 1.071

Mashed at 154.0 F 60mins
Boiled for 90 min

Cheers.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Graham Clark

Re: Comfortably Numb IPA

Post by Graham.C » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:04 pm

So I was thinking of brewing this in a couple of weeks. I don't have any of that delicious, delicious simcoe. I also don't have any warrior. What do you think of the following hops schedule:
Chinook (13%) Boil 60min - 60.1 IBUs
Columbus (14%) Boil 45 - 26 IBUs
Centenial (10%) Boil 30 - 16.1 IBUs
Columbus (14%) Boil 15 - 9.1 IBUs
Centennial (10%) - Dry
Citra (12%) - Dry

I also have some cascade I was debating tossing in at some point, maybe dry instead of the citra.
-Graham

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:57 pm

For similar effect you really should swap the first hit of Chinook out with a low cohumulone hop, like Simcoe or Warrior :lol: :lol: Citra is low as are many others :cheers2:

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Graham.C » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:05 pm

Thanks for the advice Greg. You comment made me do a bunch of homework on hops, I'm better for it.

I decided to pick up some simcoe from NG this weekend (since I love the stuff). The new hop schedule is as follows:
Simcoe [9.18 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 59.4 IBUs
Centennial [10.80 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 28.6 IBUs
Centennial [10.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 14.4 IBUs
Citra [13.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10.7 IBUs
Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop
Simcoe [9.18 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop
Almost identical except the lack of cascade and the addition of citra/centennial respectively.
I don't have any London ESB yeast, would 1056 do it or should I try and get my hands on some before I brew?
-Graham

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:20 pm

the 1056 will give you a cleaner taste but I wouldn't hesitate to use it
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Graham.C » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks LiverDance.
My simcoe is 2010. Ive adjusted the AA to reflect that, but will it be diluted in flavors for the dry hop aswell? Should I add a little something extra to keep it zesty?
-Graham

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:58 pm

You'll be fine using the same dry hops but then again it would be adding MORE HOPS! No lose situation :cheers:

Dirt Chicken
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul

Post by Dirt Chicken » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:46 pm

any idea if this would be good with 1056 or american2 ?

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Graham.C » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:04 pm

They are probably safe bets but liverdance probably knows best for his recipie. I think I used US05 which is basically 1056 AFAIK.
-Graham

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:10 pm

You got it, I would be OK using either 1056 or 1272 :spilly:

TJ Brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Trevor Jamieson

Post by TJ Brew » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:27 pm

I have this one fermenting away at the moment. The wort tasted awesome going into the Primary, can't wait for it to be ready to drink! Great recipe.

I did sub simcoe in for the warrior, as NG did not have any warrior.
On Tap "in bottles": winter beer (spiced beer, nutmeg, cinnamon, star anise, ginger, cloves)
In Secondary:
In Primary: winter beer (spiced beer, nutmeg, cinnamon, star anise, ginger, cloves)
Up Next:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:20 am

TJ Brew wrote:I have this one fermenting away at the moment. The wort tasted awesome going into the Primary, can't wait for it to be ready to drink! Great recipe.

I did sub simcoe in for the warrior, as NG did not have any warrior.
Glad to hear it's turning out well, more simoce for the bittering will work out just fine :cheers2:

henry
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Henry Pedro

Post by henry » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:58 am

Dirt Chicken wrote:any idea if this would be good with 1056 or american2 ?
1056 is a terrific yeast. Clean and good floc.
I use it all the time for Pales, Blondes, IPAs and DIPAs

Hoptimus Prime
Name: Ian

Post by Hoptimus Prime » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:37 pm

going to give this recipe a rip in a few weeks.

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Graham.C » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:59 pm

I love this beer.
-Graham

TJ Brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Trevor Jamieson

Post by TJ Brew » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Having my last litre of this tonight, I will definitely be making this one again! :cheers2:
On Tap "in bottles": winter beer (spiced beer, nutmeg, cinnamon, star anise, ginger, cloves)
In Secondary:
In Primary: winter beer (spiced beer, nutmeg, cinnamon, star anise, ginger, cloves)
Up Next:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Graham.C » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:03 pm

I am sitting here drinking Stu's Brews Tettnang single hop, for the club project, and it reaffirmed my latest love affair with Tett. It got me thinking, I just brewed up Comfortably Numb today and I was thinking of tossing it into the dry hop schedule. Do you guys think it would be lost in the explosion of west coast hoppy goodness, or add its great subtle spicy/floral mystique to the collage?

Also, nice beer Stu!
-Graham

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:25 am

Graham.C wrote:I am sitting here drinking Stu's Brews Tettnang single hop, for the club project, and it reaffirmed my latest love affair with Tett. It got me thinking, I just brewed up Comfortably Numb today and I was thinking of tossing it into the dry hop schedule. Do you guys think it would be lost in the explosion of west coast hoppy goodness, or add its great subtle spicy/floral mystique to the collage?

Also, nice beer Stu!

There is only one way to find out :spilly: I think the spicy would be good in there myself.

Dirt Chicken
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Dirt Chicken » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:29 pm

I dont have any admiral hops; or the suggested substitutes target, northdown or challenger. windering if one might be able to use some fuggles or willamette or nugget

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Dirt Chicken wrote:I dont have any admiral hops; or the suggested substitutes target, northdown or challenger. windering if one might be able to use some fuggles or willamette or nugget

There are no admiral hops in the recipe?

Dirt Chicken
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Dirt Chicken » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Well crap I thought I was making the numb ipa but I was actually 1 of my own recipes I was doing sorry for the mixup

jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Trevor Whyte

Post by jtmwhyte » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:43 pm

would I get a similar malt profile using aromatic instead of melanoiden?
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:57 pm

jtmwhyte wrote:would I get a similar malt profile using aromatic instead of melanoiden?
I'd say you'd be in the ball park.

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Graham.C » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:25 pm

I think I am going to brew another batch of this next weekend. I love this stuff and haven't made it in well over a year.
-Graham

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:40 pm

I've got to get this on my list of things to brew as well. Haven't had it in awhile. Let us know how it turns out Graham

Return to “14. India Pale Ale”