Comfortably Numb IPA

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Graham Clark

Re: Comfortably Numb IPA

Post by Graham.C » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:43 pm

2014 was a bad year for me and brewing. This is one of my favorite recipes and is probably well suited to getting me back into the swing of things.
-Graham

Tree-ations
Name: Rob

Post by Tree-ations » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:52 am

Hi!

I apologize for a beginner question. It sounds like this is a popular IPA and I’d like to try it out. :)

How would I take this generic recipe and get amounts of grain / hops?

Thanks!

Rob

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:34 am

That would depend on your system's efficiency but i always list the percentage of grain used in my recipes so others can scale them to their systems to hit the target gravity.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:05 pm

On the malt side, software (e.g., Brewfather, Beersmith, Brewtarget, etc.) can do this for you with the scaling tool. Just create a new empty recipe with your equipment profile (so it accounts for your batch size and efficiency), and then put in the percentage grain amounts as fractions of a kg.

So for this recipe you'd add 938g or 0.938kg of 2-row and 62g or 0.062kg of melanoidin. Then you just use the scaling tool and tell it to target an OG of 1.071. It will automatically increase the grain amounts in proportion to get that target gravity.

The hop side is a little different. For bittering additions (60 - 30min), you add the same hop varieties but with the AA% of the hops you actually have to get roughly the same IBUs. For later additions, you'd probably just use the same amounts as in the original recipe and mostly disregard IBU contribution.

Return to “14. India Pale Ale”