Electric Controller for BIAB

Discuss all things BIAB (Brew In A Bag)
chalmers
Name: Chris

Electric Controller for BIAB

Post by chalmers » Mon May 12, 2014 10:40 am

Lid: I feel like there aren't enough holes in it. Surface tension is a real issue to contend with, so you are better off embiggening the existing holes than drilling more, I'd say.

Pump: you really don't want to throttle the in flow to a pump, or else you'll starve it. Jeff is right that you have to consider the pressure that the valve would create at the lid, so this is a second vote for out side of the pump.
Glad to follow along with the progress!

Barr
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Leslie Barr

Re: Electric Controller for BIAB

Post by Barr » Mon May 12, 2014 10:12 pm

Yeah I totally agree with the valve post pump. I knew I shouldn't starve the pump but didn't think of pressure at the lid. Great to have input. As far as the lid I think I may try it as is once before changing it. I can always drill more or make bigger but can't put back metal. I had also wondered if I should attach a sparge arm and take out the mash lid. I could lower the arm and reduce the fall distance of the water. I'm thinking that may help head retention. Dr.Bamforth says there are once foaming proteins and if you foam them once in the brewing process they won't foam in the glass. Any thoughts?
Tap 1: Little Pup Pale Ale
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound

Return to “BIAB Discussion”