First AG and BIAB done with success

Discuss all things BIAB (Brew In A Bag)
HoweFox
Verified User
Verified User

First AG and BIAB done with success

Post by HoweFox » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:02 am

Took the all-grain plunge this weekend. Got a 15G pot from OBK last week and picked up a BIAB from Jimmy. Weather was cold and windy (and snowing for awhile), but hit my numbers bang on (~70% efficiency)...beginners luck?

I found the thermometer on the pot was about 4-6C lower than my digital one, not sure which one is correct. Also the pot thermometer on the pot was useless during the mash (registered 120F??) even though digital was 150F. However, still nice to have it on the pot for a rough guide and during chilling.

Jimmy, the new bag worked great!

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: First AG and BIAB done with success

Post by Jimmy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:35 am

I only ever use the dial thermometer for rough measurements. I'll keep an eye on it when heating my strike water as well as chilling and I use my digital thermometer for the accurate measurments.

I like the use of the railing - good spot for hanging the bag!

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:44 am

There may be a screw on the back of your dial thermometre for calibration. Easiest way is to boil water and set it to 100 depending on your altitude or current atmospheric pressure. More precise way is to calibrate it at mash temps using a thermapen or other highly acurate thermometre.

Also, I don't like how long the couplers are on those pots and on the outside. You lose a lot of probe length. That's one thing keeping me from buying one - I'd rather have none at all and make my own.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Name: deano

Post by dean2k » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:48 am

HoweFox wrote: Jimmy, the new bag worked great!
Oh yeah Jimmy, ditto!

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Post by bluenose » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:19 am

RubberToe wrote:There may be a screw on the back of your dial thermometre for calibration. Easiest way is to boil water and set it to 100 depending on your altitude or current atmospheric pressure. More precise way is to calibrate it at mash temps using a thermapen or other highly acurate thermometre.

Also, I don't like how long the couplers are on those pots and on the outside. You lose a lot of probe length. That's one thing keeping me from buying one - I'd rather have none at all and make my own.
I left the coupler out altogether when I put my thermometer in my keggle.

I calibrated my thermometer in a glass of cold water and ice, but it might make more send to calibrate it to mash temps.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:23 am

RubberToe wrote:There may be a screw on the back of your dial thermometre for calibration. Easiest way is to boil water and set it to 100 depending on your altitude or current atmospheric pressure. More precise way is to calibrate it at mash temps using a thermapen or other highly acurate thermometre.

You really only need the end of the probe for measurement, and you can still make your own using that coupling.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

HoweFox
Verified User
Verified User

Post by HoweFox » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:39 pm

Jimmy wrote:I like the use of the railing - good spot for hanging the bag!
Yup, worked out well!

Thanks for the suggestion on calibrating, I will try that out.

Return to “BIAB Discussion”