10 gallon BIAB?

Discuss all things BIAB (Brew In A Bag)
bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

10 gallon BIAB?

Post by bluenose » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:51 pm

I was sitting here and stuff when a thought just suddenly jumped into my head... Can you add water to the boil kettle after you take the grains out of the mash to make up a 10 gallon boil? Or am I just being silly?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: 10 gallon BIAB?

Post by LiverDance » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:15 pm

It can be done but you'd have to account fo the dilution of your OG in the inital mash
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:05 pm

You'd be better off taking the extra water and doing a dunk sparge or something similar before adding it to your kettle. It would at least rinse some extra sugar from the wort.

If you do the cooler BIAB method you could simply drain your cooler into your kettle, then rinse the grain with the remaining water and empty that into your kettle. You wouldn't have to vorlauf like you would with a traditional mash, so it would add very little time to the process. ~168* water is not needed for the sparge - read up on "cold" water sparging, the extraction is very similar to a 168* sparge..I'd likely sparge with hot tap water if I wanted to do a 10g BIAB with my cooler setup.

pet lion
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter

Post by pet lion » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Didn't know the sparge is not required to be at that temperature. That will save me some time for sure.
https://www.facebook.com/tidehousebrewingcompany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:15 pm

I usually sparge with gasoline. Gets better efficiency. ;)
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

adams81
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Geoff

Post by adams81 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:47 am

Jimmy wrote:If you do the cooler BIAB method you could simply drain your cooler into your kettle, then rinse the grain with the remaining water and empty that into your kettle. You wouldn't have to vorlauf like you would with a traditional mash, so it would add very little time to the process. ~168* water is not needed for the sparge - read up on "cold" water sparging, the extraction is very similar to a 168* sparge..I'd likely sparge with hot tap water if I wanted to do a 10g BIAB with my cooler setup.
So, building my setup and shopping around for a cooler MT. I'd like to future proof a bit and am wondering about 10g batches using the cooler biab method. My understanding is that for five gallon batches a ten gallon cooler is fine. Would it be worthwhile to setup a larger MT initially or would simply sparging with the added volume do? Is there a point where the grain bed would get too big to adequately mash for 10g in a smaller vessel?

Sent from my GT-I9000

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Post by bluenose » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:15 am

from what I understand, if your cooler MT is too big, there's a greater chance for heat loss due to the large headspace, but... you can compensate by covering your grain bed with aluminum foil to retain the heat, and/or reducing the amount of dead airspace above the grain
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Name: deano

Post by dean2k » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:28 pm

I have the opposite example, sort of. I typically brew 1 gallon batches (2 gal. in the MT) in a 5 gal. cooler. Pre-heat the MT if possible and cover with tin foil. Profit.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:00 pm

adams81 wrote:
Jimmy wrote:If you do the cooler BIAB method you could simply drain your cooler into your kettle, then rinse the grain with the remaining water and empty that into your kettle. You wouldn't have to vorlauf like you would with a traditional mash, so it would add very little time to the process. ~168* water is not needed for the sparge - read up on "cold" water sparging, the extraction is very similar to a 168* sparge..I'd likely sparge with hot tap water if I wanted to do a 10g BIAB with my cooler setup.
So, building my setup and shopping around for a cooler MT. I'd like to future proof a bit and am wondering about 10g batches using the cooler biab method. My understanding is that for five gallon batches a ten gallon cooler is fine. Would it be worthwhile to setup a larger MT initially or would simply sparging with the added volume do? Is there a point where the grain bed would get too big to adequately mash for 10g in a smaller vessel?

Sent from my GT-I9000
I think the 70qt cooler is a good trade off between 5 & 10g batches. It's big enough to do full volume (no sparge) BIAB for 5g batches, and will also allow you to brew the 10g batches if you add a "sparge" step to the process.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Jimmy wrote:I think the 70qt cooler is a good trade off between 5 & 10g batches. It's big enough to do full volume (no sparge) BIAB for 5g batches, and will also allow you to brew the 10g batches if you add a "sparge" step to the process.
Just a heads up—I find that my 70qt cooler maxes out at around a 1.065 to 1.070 beer for 10 gallon batches (with a sparge, 1.33at/lb mash thickness).

adams81
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Geoff

Post by adams81 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:56 pm

70 qt sounds like the perfect compromise between 5 and 10g for me then! Thanks

:cheers2:

Sent from my GT-I9000

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:48 pm

I like the way it's been working..sleepyjamie uses the same cooler and I believe a few others on here do as well.

Return to “BIAB Discussion”