BIAB Partial Mash - Water Volume & Hop Additions

Discuss all things BIAB (Brew In A Bag)
weir
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Andrew

BIAB Partial Mash - Water Volume & Hop Additions

Post by weir » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:54 am

I'm working on a limited budget until the fall when my wife's mat leave ends, so I'm stuck doing partial mashes on a ceramic stove top for now. I have a 12L (3gal) stock pot I've been using, I need to either DIY a bag or order one from Jimmy before my next batch which will be my first legitimate BIAB (only used NG grain bag in their recipes before this).

Because of my limited boil size and I want to do 5-6gal batches, I'm limited to an extract partial boil and topping it with water for now (I think). I'm still getting my legs under me and learning all of the processes so I'm not concerned too much about efficiencies and such yet, basically just OF, FG and taste. That said, I'm pretty sure I need to consider my water volume in some way when scaling down recipes since I'm adding water later right? Also since I'm only working with a small volume I probably need to scale up hop additions correct? Any tips or calculators to figure these things out?

pet lion
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter

Re: BIAB Partial Mash - Water Volume & Hop Additions

Post by pet lion » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:03 am

I haven't got into using BeerSmith yet but I know it has features to make these calculations. I've been using the open source Brewtarget for doing partial mashes until recently (getting into thick mash all grain batches) so you plug in the volumes of your system for your mash tun/kettle and batch size and it will let you know the top up water amounts.
https://www.facebook.com/tidehousebrewingcompany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pet lion
Verified User
Verified User

Post by pet lion » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:11 am

Same goes for hop additions. It will calculate based on efficiency from the estimated boil gravity. Remember to add the malt extract late to increase the hop extraction efficiency during the majority of the boil.
https://www.facebook.com/tidehousebrewingcompany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Name: deano

Post by dean2k » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:17 am

I use THIS for my stove-top BIAB batches. Keep in mind that I pretty much know that my stove will boil down 2gal. to just over 1 gallon so I'm confident with my batch vs. estimate boil numbers.

weir
Verified User
Verified User

Post by weir » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:14 pm

pet lion wrote:Same goes for hop additions. It will calculate based on efficiency from the estimated boil gravity. Remember to add the malt extract late to increase the hop extraction efficiency during the majority of the boil.
When you say late, how late? I've used the NG directions so far and they have you put it in pre-boil. I did read other places to add late, but nothing ever tells me how late.
dean2k wrote:I use THIS for my stove-top BIAB batches. Keep in mind that I pretty much know that my stove will boil down 2gal. to just over 1 gallon so I'm confident with my batch vs. estimate boil numbers.
I had a look at both pieces of software, but Brewers Friend had an iOS app, so I think I'm sold on this one. Any way to determine how far my stove will boil down the pot? I suppose I could stick a pot of water on and boil for an hour and see how much I have left right?

dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Name: deano

Post by dean2k » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 am

weir wrote:I had a look at both pieces of software, but Brewers Friend had an iOS app, so I think I'm sold on this one. Any way to determine how far my stove will boil down the pot? I suppose I could stick a pot of water on and boil for an hour and see how much I have left right?
Trial and error. If I ever change stoves, I'll probably have to figure out a whole new ratio.

pet lion
Verified User
Verified User

Post by pet lion » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:47 am

weir wrote: When you say late, how late? I've used the NG directions so far and they have you put it in pre-boil. I did read other places to add late, but nothing ever tells me how late.
I usually do it in the last 15-10 minutes working around any hop additions I might be doing in that time frame. You basically want to have it boil for several minutes to kill off any possible baddies. You do need some sugars in the boil so if you were doing an extract and steeping grains recipe you do the extract addition at the beginning.

weir
Verified User
Verified User

Post by weir » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:54 pm

pet lion wrote:I usually do it in the last 15-10 minutes working around any hop additions I might be doing in that time frame. You basically want to have it boil for several minutes to kill off any possible baddies. You do need some sugars in the boil so if you were doing an extract and steeping grains recipe you do the extract addition at the beginning.
Would there be any advantage to steeping, then adding some dextrose before boiling, then adding the DME late? Or even just adding part of the DME to get some sugars to start then add the rest later on?

pet lion
Verified User
Verified User

Post by pet lion » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:04 pm

weir wrote:
pet lion wrote:I usually do it in the last 15-10 minutes working around any hop additions I might be doing in that time frame. You basically want to have it boil for several minutes to kill off any possible baddies. You do need some sugars in the boil so if you were doing an extract and steeping grains recipe you do the extract addition at the beginning.
Would there be any advantage to steeping, then adding some dextrose before boiling, then adding the DME late? Or even just adding part of the DME to get some sugars to start then add the rest later on?

Are you actually doing a partial mash or just steeping grains plus adding extract? If the former you should have enough sugars in there to do the job and get better hop usage. If the latter, then yes, add some sugars/extract before adding your bittering hops to the boil.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/02/20/be ... additions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

weir
Verified User
Verified User

Post by weir » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:37 pm

I would be steeping then adding extract, so I think I'm mixing up some terms. That article makes sense, and brewers friend (thanks for the recommendation again BTW) allows for late addition, so I think I'll adjust my recipe for 2 extract additions. I think I know enough to be dangerous now.

Return to “BIAB Discussion”