BIAB Improvement

Discuss all things BIAB (Brew In A Bag)
ryantr0n
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Ritchie

BIAB Improvement

Post by ryantr0n » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Starting a new thread as to not pollute Jimmy's bag selling in the classifieds section.

This comment sparked the thread:
RubberToe wrote: wondering if doing a vorlauf / recirculation helped there.
So you do a 2 vessel BIAB? This is a setup that I was planning on exploring, but was worried about the bag getting stuck in the ball valve/spigot.

I drop a few degrees on my mash, as I'm sure most of you BIABers do, and want to do something about it. This way I can mow the lawn and tend to the bbq, instead of babysitting a mash and either adding water or flame.
I've wanted to insulate a 10Gal-ish kettle and fit it with a rough screen. Basically a mash tun without the false bottom or fancy manifold (and the associated costs, most importantly), but still do a big ~8gal water mash, BIAB style. The bag itself will be responsible for keeping the grain out of the wort. It allows a vorlauf to happen, I don't have to lift the bag (^_^), and I feel like a nice happy medium can be struck between a standard 3 vessel brew and a BIAB.

Thoughts? Am I over-complicating the simplicity of BIAB to gain marginal yields in clarity and mash stability?

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ben Wedge

Re: BIAB Improvement

Post by benwedge » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:55 am

Having not done BIAB before, I'm certainly no expert, but CorneliusAlphonse lines his picnic cooler mash tun with a bag and mashes in there. Hopefully he sees this thread in order to tell you more about his process.
Brewing right now: whatever is going on tap at Stillwell in a few weeks.

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:04 am

Personally i think you are overcomplicating things.

You dont need to tend to the mash. I usually turn the heat back up around 30 min as I loose a few degrees sometimes.

Im doing 10 gallon BIAB batches now, using a sanke keg as a kettle and I have it insulated with reflectix. Im hitting around 65% efficiency and that could increase if i probably did a better job at adding additional insulation during the mash (ie: camping blanket). I also have a shitty mash paddle so that probably is another contributor to the low efficiency.

As for the beer: my beers are turning out just fine.

The whole point of BIAB is to simplify the brewing process.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

ryantr0n
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ryantr0n » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:49 am

sleepyjamie wrote:Personally i think you are overcomplicating things.

You dont need to tend to the mash. I usually turn the heat back up around 30 min as I loose a few degrees sometimes.

Im doing 10 gallon BIAB batches now, using a sanke keg as a kettle and I have it insulated with reflectix. Im hitting around 65% efficiency and that could increase if i probably did a better job at adding additional insulation during the mash (ie: camping blanket). I also have a shitty mash paddle so that probably is another contributor to the low efficiency.

I think you're probably right - my beer is turning out pretty damn fine, imho. No sense in re-inventing the wheel..

I'll definitely look into some reflecitx for insulation, though. Any limitations or anything to look out for? Can I wrap the full kettle, or will that be too close to the flame?

Do you run your boiled wort through a sieve or anything into the fermenter or does all the trubby junk go right in?

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:45 am

where in dartmouth are you located?

maybe the next time i do a brew (probably next week) you can come over and take a look at my setup and compare notes. im just in cole harbour.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:21 pm

ryantr0n wrote:
I think you're probably right - my beer is turning out pretty damn fine, imho. No sense in re-inventing the wheel..

I'll definitely look into some reflecitx for insulation, though. Any limitations or anything to look out for? Can I wrap the full kettle, or will that be too close to the flame?

Do you run your boiled wort through a sieve or anything into the fermenter or does all the trubby junk go right in?
The refectix will melt. I made an insulating "hat" for mine - just lift it off when and if I need to reheat.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Post by CartoonCod » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:25 pm

I do BIAB as well. While my wort is chilling in the kettle, I use a metal spoon to create a bit of a whirlpool. The whirlpool lumps all the trub into the center of the kettle. After the wort has cooled and the whirpool has settled down for a least 10-15 minutes, I siphon the wort from the side of the brew kettle to the fermenter. This leaves lots of the trub in the kettle. It's easy and it works.

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Post by bluenose » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:15 pm

sleepyjamie wrote:Im doing 10 gallon BIAB batches now, using a sanke keg as a kettle and I have it insulated with reflectix. Im hitting around 65% efficiency and that could increase if i probably did a better job at adding additional insulation during the mash (ie: camping blanket). I also have a shitty mash paddle so that probably is another contributor to the low efficiency.

no problems fitting 10 gal batches in the keggle? or do you stick to smaller grain bills?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ryantr0n
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ryantr0n » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:34 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:
The refectix will melt. I made an insulating "hat" for mine - just lift it off when and if I need to reheat.
Brilliant! Stealing the fuck out of that idea, hahaha.

ryantr0n
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ryantr0n » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:02 pm

sleepyjamie wrote:where in dartmouth are you located?

maybe the next time i do a brew (probably next week) you can come over and take a look at my setup and compare notes. im just in cole harbour.
Cool, let me know. I'm just off prince albert/ochterloney - just barely outside of what most would consider downtown.

maltster
Verified User
Verified User

Post by maltster » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:26 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:
ryantr0n wrote:

I recently switched to BIAB and I use a winter parka that just fits around the keggle
It typically only loses 1-2°F over a 60 minute mash. When it's time to boil I just unzip it and hang it back in the closet.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:28 pm

maltster wrote:
LeafMan66_67 wrote:
ryantr0n wrote:

I recently switched to BIAB and I use a winter parka that just fits around the keggle
It typically only loses 1-2°F over a 60 minute mash. When it's time to boil I just unzip it and hang it back in the closet.

I bet that jacket smells awesome!
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:35 pm

benwedge wrote:Having not done BIAB before, I'm certainly no expert, but CorneliusAlphonse lines his picnic cooler mash tun with a bag and mashes in there. Hopefully he sees this thread in order to tell you more about his process.
yup, good memory! i bought a cooler to help me transition from biab to more traditional three vessel. got stuck halfway, haha, works well enough for me - efficiency is a bit better and no worries about the temperature. don't need as big of a pot either! i am thinking of getting a one vessel biab set up while im over here in newfoundland though. too much work to cart all my equipment over.

i see from the rest of the thread you've pretty much settled on insulating. should be fine. good luck!
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:44 pm

maltster wrote:
LeafMan66_67 wrote:
ryantr0n wrote:

nice. where can you get one of these?
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

pet lion
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter

Post by pet lion » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:01 pm

benwedge wrote:Having not done BIAB before, I'm certainly no expert, but CorneliusAlphonse lines his picnic cooler mash tun with a bag and mashes in there. Hopefully he sees this thread in order to tell you more about his process.

This what I do with my partial mash/half sized all grain system. I got a bag from Jimmy to fit a 14 L beverage cooler that I mash in. I separate the first 'run' wort then do a sparge in the cooler as well to get enough wort for my stove top boil.
https://www.facebook.com/tidehousebrewingcompany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:50 pm

Pretty sweet biab rig. Almost makes me want to get rid of my single tier and go with something like that..
brew stand BIAB 3.jpg
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/biab-br ... mp-310459/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:22 pm

this thread has a nice detailed explanation of the insulating BIAB

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/keggle- ... cs-301888/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

Return to “BIAB Discussion”