go big? or go home?

Discuss all things BIAB (Brew In A Bag)
eaglesnestbrewing
Name: Matt Eagle

go big? or go home?

Post by eaglesnestbrewing » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:05 pm

Hey, so I just bottled my 3rd batch of extract brew and i still have 2 to go (one in primary and one in secondary now) and i think ive built up the courage to dive into all grain, at least biab. So my question is, would it be better to try and brew a smaller 1 gal or just go big off the bat and try a full 5gal batch? My worry is just that where its my first attempt at all grain is i screw up the big batch and it would be a waste of time and money if it turned out just terribly?
East coast IPA bottled
Silly Yak gf bottled
Traditional winter warmer in secondary
Trying to figure out all grain next!!

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: go big? or go home?

Post by Jimmy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:11 pm

The time to brew is the same for a small batch, and the cost difference is minimal. I'd go 5 gallon to start.

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:33 pm

In my experience, a bigger batch is more tolerant of problems. I found 2.5 gallon batches to be a bit more finicky.

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:54 am

Like Jimmy says, the time for 1G and 5G is pretty much the same. If you've got the gear to do 5G BIAB, go for it. BIAB is a great all grain method for new and experienced brewers alike.

I started with Festa Brew kits, moved to extract with steeping grains, partial mash and then to 1G all grain before stumbling onto the Brewnosers. After that, it was 5G BIAB, and 10G three vessel. I still alternate between 5G BIAB and 10G 3 vessel depending on what I am making and how much I want to make. If I was to do it again, I'd skip the partial mash and 1G steps and go right to 5G BIAB, and probably stay with that as my all grain goto system.

Jump in, have fun with it. As long as your sanitation procedures are good, you will have beer.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:13 am

If I "did it again"I'd go right to a Grain Father.I have spent way more than that cost over the years and I still need a $150 pump.

S

eaglesnestbrewing

Post by eaglesnestbrewing » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:09 am

awesome, thanks for all the feedback, what size brew pot would i need for biab with a 5g batch? I am using one of those black speckled large canning pots. Ive seen a lot of people with very large pots doing biab. Also ive been doing my boil on an electric stove, is a turkey fryer a neccissary upgrade for a good boil in a large pot like that?
East coast IPA bottled
Silly Yak gf bottled

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:33 am

Sandy has a great point. If I knew when I first started that I would stick with the hobby, something like the Grainfather would have been a great choice, provided I had the cash on hand at the time. Having said that, I started out for $100, with a $20 BIAB bag, $20 keg that I converted, $20 worth of 3/8" copper for an immersion chiller and a $40 burner. I still have that keg (it's my HLT now), converted that immersion chiller to a counterflow chiller (and have since sold it), gave away the burner and still use the original bag I bought from Jimmy and Becky as my bag in my mash tun when I do three vessel brewing.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

eaglesnestbrewing

Post by eaglesnestbrewing » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:10 pm

Wow thats cheaper than i thought for a startup cost, ive seen copper tube pretty cheap (im a plumber) to make an immersion chiller with hose adapters. Then bag is around 30 and a brand new pot is something like 120 to 140 depending on size and brand. Bit a burner is a must with a 5gal all grain brew? Just to keep the temps right and to get a good rolling boil going well for the whole 60 mins
East coast IPA bottled
Silly Yak gf bottled

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Post by GCR » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:23 pm

go big!

I also agree with other comments on the Grainfather - it is the bee's knees.

thisissteve
Name: Steve

Post by thisissteve » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:42 pm

I've been doing 5G extracts, and just did my first AG biab last week, I only did 2.5 Gal because I could just do it on my stove inside, and since I don't have an electric/propane burner. So far I'm pretty happy with the set up, cant wait to taste it

Lisa J
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Lisa James

Post by Lisa J » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:03 am

We started out a year ago using Best Case kits, then bought a Grainfather in April. We've been brewing like maniacs ever since. Love the thing!
On Tap at The Frisky Lemur Pub: Pumpkin Spice Ale; Frisky Lemur IPA; ESB; CranApple Cider; RazBerliner
Fermenting/Conditioning/Bottled: Joyeux Noel Holiday Spiced Ale; NEIPA
On Deck: Altbier; NEIPA; Oatmeal Stout

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ivor

Post by ivorm » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:14 pm

I know this response is a little late but...

When I started all grain about a year ago I bought a 20 gal kettle, a burner, a 70 quart cooler, BIAB bag and jumped right into 10 gallon batches. I thought I was only going to do 5 gallon batches at first when I bought the gear but wanted to have the option to go bigger, but like Jimmy said 1 gallon, 5 gallons or 10 gallons all take about the same amount of time. I've been happy with this since I don't have a lot of free time to brew so 10 gallon batches help.

What did you end up doing?

donking
Verified User
Verified User
Name: GC

Post by donking » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:49 pm

I always do 10G-15G batches. I would never imagine putting all that time for just 1G. Less then 5G is ok if you are willing to sacrifice all that effort for just a few bottles of beer. Good Idea BIAB 5G, if I would downgrade to 5G that's what I'd do!

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:28 pm

When brewing new beers ie: a style I have not done before I follow these guidelines.

1) Research the style heavily. BYO magazine, BJCP, malt companies product sheet, brewnosers, blogs, forums, etc...
2) If the style is something I can give away to my friends I will usually go 20L. Actually lately I have been brewing 25L batches as my standard size using the 30L bucket fermenters. It's nice getting an extra 5L without needing to upgrade my system.
3) I occasionally do 15L all grain stove top BIAB batches if its a very experimental beer. Meaning I am trying something unorthodox and not defined in BJCP.

I used to do 10g batches and sometimes the beer just didnt turn out the way I wanted and ended up having to drink too much. I recommend sticking with 5g until you get your process down and get a few regular recipes consistently brewed the way you want, then go bigger.

Big doesnt mean better. Often times I enjoy variety. The more you brew the better you will get.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:37 pm

eaglesnestbrewing wrote:Wow thats cheaper than i thought for a startup cost, ive seen copper tube pretty cheap (im a plumber) to make an immersion chiller with hose adapters. Then bag is around 30 and a brand new pot is something like 120 to 140 depending on size and brand. Bit a burner is a must with a 5gal all grain brew? Just to keep the temps right and to get a good rolling boil going well for the whole 60 mins

Burner is not necessary for that size batch. I do 20l batches, boil volume is about 25l, on my stove top. Split the kettle over two burners and it works just fine. It is a bit slow heating everything up, especially sparge water, but it works for me
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Return to “BIAB Discussion”