Dumb question about oxygenation

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
jlittlechilds
Name: Josh Littlechilds

Dumb question about oxygenation

Post by jlittlechilds » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:56 pm

Hi All,

I'm new here, and have just purchased some equipment to start brewing beer while we're in isolation. I have a potentially stupid question, but I read online that oxygenating my wort before I pitch the yeast with pure oxygen will achieve the best results (as opposed to aeration). I bought one of these oxygen tanks that all the videos I watched online seemed to have:

All the videos and blogs online that I've been reading have said all I need to do is grab a regulator and a diffusion stone, and throw a piece of tubing in between and voila, easy.

Now, I went to Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Kent, and Princess Auto and no one had any idea what I was talking about. Furthermore, no one had a regulator that was the right size to fit this specific canister (which also happens to seemingly be the only canister available besides medical grade). I asked the guys at Noble Grape if they had any sort of hookups for this sort of thing and they all seemed puzzled also.

I need help! Does anyone run this kind of system? It seemed really common from the videos I've watched online, and it was definitely frustrating that it's seemingly impossible to go to a hardware store and get the parts I need to get oxygen into my wort.

Fair warning, I'm a total idiot when it comes to both brewing and DIY stuff, so bear with me, and talk to me like I'm 9 years old haha.

Thanks all!

Josh

BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Dumb question about oxygenation

Post by BBrianBoogie » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:18 pm

Check Everwood in Sackville. If they're out check Canadian homebrew supplies, OBK, Toronto Brewing, etc. Any major homebrew store should have what you need.

https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Oxygenation_s/611.htm

John G
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: John

Post by John G » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:40 pm

Not a dumb question.

Everwood has these (not sure if in stock, the website says they have two)

https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/Oxy ... /67270.htm

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:13 am

Everwood is definitely the place to go. Not sure what they have in stock but they'd at least know what you're looking for.
Oxygenating your wort is a good practice, but if you're just starting out there are more important areas to focus on first. Aeration from splashing and pouring will provide enough to get going.
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:17 pm

Yeah, see the guys at Everwood. Noble Grape might carry these too? I’m not sure, Everwood is the place for specialty items. I’d point out though, that oxygenation is really only a concern for fermenting with liquid yeasts. Dry yeasts have enough of ... something already. Fatty sterols? I haven’t kept too up to date on brewing theory lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steffen Rosswog

Post by RossBee » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Yup, stupid question, you DO NOT NEED this
Why brew beer I can buy?

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:43 pm

Not a stupid question at all and I recommend pure O2. It comes down to the time you want to spend to dissolve the proper amount of oxygen. The following link is interesting and answered allot of questions for me. If you don't feel like watching the whole clip I'd recommend 13:18 for 5-10 minutes. I have a 20 cubic foot oxygen tank, Blichmann regulator, hose and stone. Works awesome and will last for a very long time. Your idea will work great as well. :cheers2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vELwUsBmWQ

Buccaneer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike Digdon

Post by Buccaneer » Thu May 14, 2020 10:17 pm

I've often wondered about going pure O2. Right now, I just have an aquarium pump with a stone on the end and I run it for 90-120 minutes. It's done wonders for me.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Thu May 14, 2020 10:21 pm

I do like it for liquid yeasts, done in a minute or so. I just haven’t used a liquid yeast in a good while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Fri May 15, 2020 8:49 am

amartin, me neither. I just bought a brick ( 500 g ) of US-05. No more waiting for Canada Post to send supplies.

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”