Any "goto" resources for learning about brewery build out?

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
ScotianHobo

Any "goto" resources for learning about brewery build out?

Post by ScotianHobo » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:58 pm

I'm writing on the coldest day of the year. My mash isn't stuck it's bloody frozen.

I'd like to start drawing up plans to move my brewing indoors. I have a roughed in, unfinished bathroom in my basement that has ventillation and plumbling (obv).

I'd like to whittle away at designing and building out a setup over the next few months. I've come across tonnes of great howto's, youtube videos etc but wondering if the knowledgeable hivemind here knows of a really great "start with this" resource before I get too far down the rabbit hole.

Cheers!

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: Any "goto" resources for learning about brewery build out?

Post by LiverDance » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:03 pm

It really depends on what you want out of a setup. Mine is very simple. I have 2 vessels, a mash tune and a kettle. Heat the water in the kettle, transfer full mash to the tun, then transfer back and boil. Nothing electric in my tun, kettle is a 5500w element in a heat stick. Ventilation is a range hood and everything sits on a stand i got at princess auto so it's all fully movable. I vent through the spare bedroom window
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

HotBreak
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Drew Turton

Post by HotBreak » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:28 pm

I based my most recent build on theelectricbrewery.com. Pretty happy with the results.
If you are starting from scratch, I would start there. Pretty sure most systems are based on these plans somehow.
Chug, Chug, Chug.....

ScotianHobo

Post by ScotianHobo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:39 pm

HotBreak wrote:I based my most recent build on theelectricbrewery.com. Pretty happy with the results.
If you are starting from scratch, I would start there. Pretty sure most systems are based on these plans somehow.
That's awesome thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Honestly, i'd be tempted to go with a Robobrew if i were you. Cheap intro to indoor brewing. Can do it right by your stove and heat sparge water using a canning pot (cheap). If you find it's not enough for you, switch over, but pretty minor investment rather than going all in on a build. You should be able to sell a Robo or Grainfather for pretty close to what you bought it for if you decide it's not enough.

ScotianHobo

Post by ScotianHobo » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:16 pm

jason.loxton wrote:Honestly, i'd be tempted to go with a Robobrew if i were you. Cheap intro to indoor brewing. Can do it right by your stove and heat sparge water using a canning pot (cheap). If you find it's not enough for you, switch over, but pretty minor investment rather than going all in on a build. You should be able to sell a Robo or Grainfather for pretty close to what you bought it for if you decide it's not enough.
Amazing timing on this sage advice. I got just far enough into ideas and insanity to get myself 80 percent convinced of this route. Thinking it's the best call. Cheers

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:53 am

I’d consider the Grainfather ecosystem as its online connectivity and upgradeability is second to none. That being said, it’s a small 23 liter System and the Robobrew is evolving - but still no where near the GF with its PID, online database and recipe creator, glycol chiller and fermenters etc.Just my $0.02
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

HotBreak
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Drew Turton

Post by HotBreak » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:37 pm

Some good points above if you are staying small. My build was for a 30 Gallon system so I needed something bigger and more capable.
Chug, Chug, Chug.....

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:58 am

Here’s another option...the Robobrew Brewzilla is a 65 liter version...x2 for under $2K 1bbl all in one...
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”