Corny Keg Thermowell

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Corny Keg Thermowell

Post by Peterpasha » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:08 pm

Has anyone had success or tried drilling a hole in the side of a corny keg for a thermowell? I've got the temperature probe for my controller on the side of my keg and insulated, so it's pretty close to wort temperature, but I really want to dial in the right temps and get a probe right into the middle of the wort. All the searches I've done are about drilling the cap, but that only gives me the top inch or two of wort. The keg will never be pressurized to the extent that the regular kegs are so I'm not worried about that.
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shaun Rhyno

Re: Corny Keg Thermowell

Post by sgrhyno » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:34 pm

I use commercial kegs for my HLT and Kettle and did ok drilling those out. Even manage to solder in some fittings this year. Prior to that, I had weldless fittings in there.

My fear with what you are considering would be the seal around the thermowell. The curvature of the small keg is quite a bit tighter than a commercial keg; I'm wondering if the gaskets will get tight enough. I don't think drilling it out should be a problem.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:06 am

Why not just use the existing liquid out tube? I modified one as a thermowell years ago when it was hard to find ones to use in carboys (I used it in a carboy). I pulled the liquid tube, pounded the bottom inch flat, bent that back upon itself, and then pounded it flat again. Ended up with a pretty tight seal. I heat sterilized it when using, as there were some small crevices to host bacteria.

That might be an option... Alternatively, I'd check to see if an off the shelf carboy thermowell might fit (or be modifiable), as the new ones have sterile welds.

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:58 am

I think you may be surprised and find out that the insulated probe on the side of the keg is reading a fairly accurate temperature. The temperature difference between my thermowell and insulated probe on the side of my carboy was only 0.1F different.

The other way you could do it would be to drill the lid for the thermowell instead of the keg body - there's a but more substance to the lid for a weldless fitting and sure beats screwing up a keg if things go awry.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Post by Peterpasha » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:58 pm

I am surprised that the difference is that small. Okay then, I'll give it a few more batches and see how the results are. Thanks!
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”