Bad Apple Boxcutter Clone

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
whitnes10
Name: Stew Whitney

Bad Apple Boxcutter Clone

Post by whitnes10 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:34 pm

I've been searching for a Partial Mash clone of Boxcutter IPA, but haven't come across one yet.

Anyone know of one or have one similar floating around out there?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: Bad Apple Boxcutter Clone

Post by GAM » Thu May 26, 2016 8:56 pm

10kghops and 10kg malt!!!

Sandy

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Fri May 27, 2016 9:21 am

GAM wrote:10kghops and 10kg malt!!!

Sandy
:stupid: It's one damn fine beer. I'm thinking only 2 men know that recipe. Jeff and Nash.

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:10 pm

Sandy
So how does that work? I've never made a beer of that sort. Any specific type of malt and hop that will match the flavor of the Boxcutter? No grains whatsoever? and US-05 for the yeast?

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Fri May 27, 2016 2:11 pm

Also, are those amounts for a 5gal batch?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Fri May 27, 2016 2:38 pm

whitnes10 wrote:

Sandy
So how does that work? I've never made a beer of that sort. Any specific type of malt and hop that will match the flavor of the Boxcutter? No grains whatsoever? and US-05 for the yeast?
Sorry you don't know me, that's sarcasm. a shot at Jeff and Greg.

Cutter in an interesting beer and may take several attempt to even get to the ball park.

I would approach Jeff (super nice guy) and ask for some guidance. I make IPA's but not like this.

Sandy

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Sat May 28, 2016 10:29 am

I've mad a few IPA's (Noble Grape Recipes with a twist of my own) but never got close to something like Boxcutter or Propeller Double IPA (my two favourites locally).

So I just brewed this recipe: http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=1254" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I did also add some Citra hops during late boil and dry hop)
Tried it for the first time last night and it was awesome (closest i've got to Propeller Double IPA)! Citrusy flavour, with a bitter finish. Might even just make this one again. First beer in a while I can say I'm 100% happy with. Could even take this recipe and play around with it a bit.

Any thoughts on a good way to change it slightly?

HPhunter
Vendor
Vendor

Post by HPhunter » Tue May 31, 2016 10:14 pm

I'd say the best way to clone this recipe is to bring a sleeping bag, and brew it with me? Then try to piece it all back together the next day with an epic Hang over!
Hit me up if you wanna help brew.

And yes you will help mash out, and and pitch many boxes of hops, on top of getting to hang out.
Jeff
Hitmeup.com
"Home of the Shockerrrrrr!"

dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Phil

Post by dexter » Tue May 31, 2016 10:31 pm

HPhunter wrote:I'd say the best way to clone this recipe is to bring a sleeping bag, and brew it with me? Then try to piece it all back together the next day with an epic Hang over!

And yes you will help mash out, and and pitch many boxes of hops, on top of getting to hang out.
Jeff
Hitmeup.com
That's a hell of an offer!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:30 am

OOH help with mash out. That's taking out the mash.

S

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:18 pm

HPhunter wrote:I'd say the best way to clone this recipe is to bring a sleeping bag, and brew it with me? Then try to piece it all back together the next day with an epic Hang over!

Jeff
Hitmeup.com
Good luck piecing it back together haha, however it's a great time brewing with Jeff. And you'll love scooping spent grains, especially when it gets to the bottom haha.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:30 pm

Jeff are you a Noble Grape guy? Every time I go in there, they always mention to try and get in touch with you. I don't know, but I feel like you may have helped me out a few times a few years back at the layton Park/Bayers Lake location. I don't know if you are the guy I'm thinking of, but I haven't seen this person around that store in a few years now.

As for brewing with you, I'd love to try it out sometime, but I know it's going to be tough, I have a little addition to our family, so time is sparse. My own at home brewing has slowed down significantly. But that last batch that I mentioned earlier turned out awesome!

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:34 am

whitnes10 wrote:Jeff are you a Noble Grape guy? Every time I go in there, they always mention to try and get in touch with you. I don't know, but I feel like you may have helped me out a few times a few years back at the layton Park/Bayers Lake location. I don't know if you are the guy I'm thinking of, but I haven't seen this person around that store in a few years now.

As for brewing with you, I'd love to try it out sometime, but I know it's going to be tough, I have a little addition to our family, so time is sparse. My own at home brewing has slowed down significantly. But that last batch that I mentioned earlier turned out awesome!
That would be Jonathan...he was running the "Best Case" program for Noble...he is also brewing for Sober Island Brewing now.
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:42 am

Alright, I wasn't sure, just thought I'd see! Thanks

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:17 pm

VICTORY DIRT WOLF DOUBLE IPA CLONE
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Calf. Ale WLP001
Yeast Starter: Yes - 1.6L
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Stir Plate for 36 hrs.
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.078
Final Gravity: 1.005
IBU: 142
Boiling Time (Minutes): 65
Color: 3
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7-8
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Tasting Notes: Very Hoppy-- pineapple, grapefruit, piney-- Light Malt flavor and Delicious !

Grains:
16# Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.5# Carapils
Hops:
1.0 oz Chinook @65
1.0 oz Simcoe @ 40
1.0 oz Mosaic @25
1.0 oz Citra @25
1.0 oz Mosaic @10
1.0 oz Citra @10
1.0 oz Citra @ 1
(*Irish Moss @ 15)
2.0 oz Citra-- Dry Hop for 7 days

Is there a way to change this recipe around (all grain) to a partial mash?

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:00 pm

Do you have Beersmith? You can plug all of this in and then use it to substitute malt extract for the mashed grains. If I were you, I'd find the lightest DME possible (Dave @ Everwood stocks extra light pilsner extract, as does MB&W, I believe). The LME at NG has a portion of crystal malts in it that will dramatically affect the maltiness of the beer.

An extract brew is never going to be exactly the same as an AG recipe, the colour will always be darker and the wort less fermentable, but it could turn out really great all the same.

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User

Post by darciandjenn » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:01 pm

Also, you could fire an email off to Dave and he'd probably convert this recipe for you. He's very helpful like that :)

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:31 pm

Hey thanks! By chance do you have Dave's contact? I'm new to this forum and all these names. Thanks again!

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:02 pm

[quote="darciandjenn"]Do you have Beersmith? You can plug all of this in and then use it to substitute malt extract for the mashed grains. If I were you, I'd find the lightest DME possible (Dave @ Everwood stocks extra light pilsner extract, as does MB&W, I believe). The LME at NG has a portion of crystal malts in it that will dramatically affect the maltiness of the beer.

I just signed on to BeerSmith, so I'll give it a try, though I'm not really familiar with making my own thing. To this point I've alway stuck to a recipe and just really changed up hops.

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:56 am

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:23 am

darciandjenn wrote:http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/

Good luck :)
Emailed Dave this morning have have already heard back, he's going to do up the conversion for me! Thanks for the suggestion!

-Stew

whitnes10

Post by whitnes10 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:46 pm

darciandjenn wrote:Do you have Beersmith? You can plug all of this in and then use it to substitute malt extract for the mashed grains. If I were you, I'd find the lightest DME possible (Dave @ Everwood stocks extra light pilsner extract, as does MB&W, I believe). The LME at NG has a portion of crystal malts in it that will dramatically affect the maltiness of the beer.

An extract brew is never going to be exactly the same as an AG recipe, the colour will always be darker and the wort less fermentable, but it could turn out really great all the same.
It's been a while, but I did make a batch after I converted it with BeerSmith. Ended up being my most expensive batch of brew, but it was by far and none THE BEST BEER I've ever made!!! It was awesome, and it's the first beer I've legitimately said that about. Will be brewing it again so it is ready for the Christmas!

I'm now looking at brewing a Pineapple IPA, so I'm currently doing research on it.

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:05 am

Glad to hear it! :)

I think there's a couple of threads on here about Pineapple IPAs so be sure to check that out.

Return to “Recipes”