The Barrel Project Recipe

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Re: The Barrel Project Recipe

Post by GAM » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:21 pm

I'll look and make a list.

Sandy

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:39 am

GAM wrote:I'll look and make a list.

Sandy
By my record keeping on the original thread the contestants are:

X
Johnny
BBB
Chalmers
Nick
Tim Gregory
Kyle
Sandy
Andy
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:53 am

Keep in mind that myself, jmac, bbb, tim gregory, and possibly Nick (still need to talk to him if he wants to contibute, or take a comp) will brew on our own systems. So that frees up the remainder to do the feruz group brew. How is your capacity for fermentation temp control?
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:36 am

I'm sure that the group brew could still be done but it'll have to be coordinated through chalmers. I'll probably make the second cut on the barrell run which is no biggy as I know where chris hides his stash, makes sense that we don't do the same thing anyway.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Post by Tim Gregory » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:18 am

Most of my brewery is in boxes right now. At least 2 weeks until I can brew, so I'll probably have to pass on the first one. Although I'd split 5G with someone if they want to do all work :lol:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:40 am

Well, you can join in with the feruz brew.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:16 pm

LiverDance wrote:
GAM wrote:I'll look and make a list.

Sandy
By my record keeping on the original thread the contestants are:

X
Johnny
BBB
Chalmers
Nick
Tim Gregory
Kyle
Sandy
Andy
Count me out - some one local (and with free time) is more deserving.
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:55 pm

Ok well lets find out who's committed for sure:

X - yes
Johnny - yes
BBB - yes
Chalmers - yes
Nick - yes (either brewed or comp't, I assume x you could handle his 5g's?)
Tim Gregory - yes with help
Kyle - ?
Sandy - yes
Andy - Out

Next on the list is MGC, we await your response :beer2:

It looks like first and second use of the barrel are accounted for so let's cut it off for now.
the rest of the list of people who are interested and wanted in in the order they responded with commitment are:
1.LD
2.Cornelius Alphonse
3.Jayme/Gavin
4.Hogie
5.Know1
6.Fishdisease
7.Dirt chicken
8.Bluenose
9.Rubbertoe
Last edited by LiverDance on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

JohnnyMac
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by JohnnyMac » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:44 pm

Thanks to LD for getting the above organized. Let's work to finalize the participant list for the first round by the end of the day this Friday.

So, we're waiting on confirmations from MGC (Andy's spot) and Kyle before we start heading down the list.

Last call........Is everyone onside with RIS as our style?
"It's not about the beer. It's about the beer." - Don Younger

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Yes (date dependant). I'll be out ot town this weekend and June 28- July 6.

Sandy

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Graham Clark

Post by Graham.C » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:06 pm

I'm won't be able to brew until July 4th at the earliest, so I will have to be in on the next one.
-Graham

BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BBrianBoogie » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:22 pm

RIS works for me.

maltster
Verified User
Verified User

Post by maltster » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:33 pm

LiverDance wrote:
It looks like first and second use of the barrel are accounted for so let's cut it off for now.
the rest of the list of people who are interested and wanted in in the order they responded with commitment are:
1.LD
2.Cornelius Alphonse
3.Jayme/Gavin
4.Hogie
5.Know1
6.Fishdisease
7.Dirt chicken
8.Bluenose
9.Rubbertoe
I think my name got missed in the list? I think it was after DC but before bluenose and rubbertoe.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:42 am

maltster wrote:
LiverDance wrote:
1.LD
2.Cornelius Alphonse
3.Jayme/Gavin
4.Hogie
5.Know1
6.Fishdisease
7.Dirt chicken
8.Bluenose
9.Rubbertoe
I think my name got missed in the list? I think it was after DC but before bluenose and rubbertoe.
You are correct sir, my bad. I will up date the list.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:46 am

akr71 wrote:
Do you want to be on the second run list?

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:47 am

LiverDance wrote:
akr71 wrote:
Do you want to be on the second run list?
You bet!
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:04 am

Here is the latest updates:

1. X - yes
2. Johnny - yes
3. BBB - yes
4. Chalmers - yes
5. Nick - yes (either brewed or comp't, I assume x you could handle his 5g's?)
6. Tim Gregory - yes with help
7. Kyle - ???????????
8. Sandy - yes
9. Jayme/Gavin - yes

1. Andy
2. Graham
3. LD
4. Cornelius Alphonse
5. Hogie
6. Know1
7. Fishdisease
8. Dirt chicken
9. Maltster
Spares: Bluenose,Rubbertoe
Last edited by LiverDance on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:33 am

We can only brew 5 gallons - could do it Friday but that's the only day until the following weekend. If that fits in the scope of things, we're in - if not, next round. Obviously I would need to know what the final decision is on recipe ASAP to pull it off Friday.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:00 pm

I'll get the final details on the recipe put down on Saturday. Basically BCS, bumped up a bit on the OG, closer to 1.100.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:52 pm

So, did anyone from the first barrel want to do a group brew? Seems like TimGr was the only one?
What are the ideal brew date and fill date, x?

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

mr x wrote:I'll get the final details on the recipe put down on Saturday. Basically BCS, bumped up a bit on the OG, closer to 1.100.
Yeah unfortunately I won't be able to brew it tomorrow if I don't find out until Saturday, meaning I'd have to brew the following weekend (23rd) - is that going to be too late? I guess I'm just asking the same thing as Chris now. Gavin and I might also be interested in doing the group brew with you, Chris. We can only feasibly do 5 gallons on our system and that's with a double mash unless we do 2 long brew days in a row. Is the assumption having 9 people that everyone will do 10 gallons?

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Brew now! Get it ready! We need 55 gallons, so most will do 5 gal batches. As far as a fill date, I've got to talk to nick about that. Been real busy with work down here. But at any rate get brewing soon. The recipe is simple enough, use a good attenuating yeast with no diacetly or belgian type flavours. Use -05, 1272, 1028, etc.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by Jayme » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Can do - There are 2 RIS recipes in BCS - Czars Revenge or Mike Riddle's Tri-centennial?

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:25 pm

Czar's. Use darker chocolate if you like. Try to keep the attenuation the same.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:26 pm

Jayme wrote:Can do - There are 2 RIS recipes in BCS - Czars Revenge or Mike Riddle's Tri-centennial?
X posted a recipe earlier in the thread so I would just bump that baby up to 1.100 and that should do it.

Return to “Recipes”