December 8, 2023 - Red Rye IPA

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

December 8, 2023 - Red Rye IPA

Post by amartin » Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:08 pm

Red IPA

OG: 1.070
FG: 1.017
IBU: 68
SRM: 13
ABV: 6.9%

Recipe was for 5 gallons.

Grains:
7.63 lb Pale Ale (54%)
2.00 lb Liquid Malt Extract (14%)
2.00 lb Rye Malt (14%)
1.75 lb Munich 1 (13%)
0.50 lb Crystal 40 (4%)
0.13 lb Roast Barley (1%)

Hops:
0.6 oz Galaxy 15.5% (30 minutes)
1.5 oz Galaxy 15.5% (hop stand)
1.5 oz Cashmere 7.6% (hop stand)
1.5 oz Galaxy 15.5% (dry hop)
1.5 oz Cashmere 7.6% (dry hop)

Water:
Well water with estimates for mineral content and some gypsum added. Probably moderately hard without too many carbonates.

Yeast:
Mangrove Jack Voss Kveik

I went with this style this year because I didn't have any large bottles so decided if you're only getting 341ml it had better be strong. Also I put this off so I needed something that would mature quickly, so that pointed to IPA. Then I let my kid pick the colour and added rye because rye is good. Red and/or rye IPA is my go to IPA anyway.

GCR
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg Rogers

Re: December 8, 2023 - Red Rye IPA

Post by GCR » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:57 pm

I enjoy a nice rye IPA now and then as well, and this was no exception. The spiciness from the rye malt was on point. Maybe a little hazier/murkier than I am used to, but it went down the hatch without a scratch.

I did not know MJ had a Kveik strain, but then again I haven't really lingered around the dry yeasts lately at my local brew shop; I've only ever brewed with liquid kveik strains from Escarpment.

I find Voss is usually very recognizable somehow... kind of like when you know a band or an artist from just a snippet of a song... I suppose that's probably blatantly obvious to people who actually know what they are talking about when it comes to evaluating beer (which I do not) - but I feel like it usually ferments pretty much the same way, and I could pick it out of a police line up probably 80% of the time. It doesn't get in the way, but it doesn't really add a hugely unique contribution on its own... which is fine - and even more so when it is fast af.

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:36 pm

Yay, Red Rye IPA! I make at least one of these every year; and it's on my list of things to brew over the holidays.

I'm surprised this is fermented with Kveik because it doesn't have the Kveik "character" that I usually recognize (and don't love, hence not using it myself). It does have some spiciness, but I am very firmly on Team "Rye is not Inherently Spicy." I was getting the spiciness before I checked what this was, so if it's not psychosomatic, I'm guessing it's probably from from the Cashmere. Tasty beer, I would like another, please.

JayBab
Name: Jason Babineau

Post by JayBab » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:09 pm

Noice collab with amartin Jr! i was initially going to guess Rye IPA, but then I thought I might have been biased, 'cause I had a Black Rye IPA, which was bonkers apparently, ...but appreciated! ;). frikkin' 6.9%!? I make a note not to read to recipes until after i've enjoyed, but sometimes I wish I would know when to pace myself on a delicious and *hic!*. strong brew. thank you for sharing!

PMackie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul MacKinnon

Post by PMackie » Sat Dec 09, 2023 5:10 pm

The beer itself threw me off, I am just having it now and didn't look up what it was. I was like this is very murky so didn't know what I was getting into. Well I am pleasantly surprised, not being a super big hophead these days this is very good. I am a sucker for anything Rye and I picked that up right away. Would also drink another please, very tasty and thanks for the share.
Kegged: Maritime Fog (NEIPA), All Ryell'ed Up (Rye APA)
Fermenting: Seltzer Water
On deck: Something over the Holidays
In the hole: ...

Bradbrewsbeer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brad

Post by Bradbrewsbeer » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:20 pm

Nice beer, I love Rye ipa and this was a tasty example. Thanks
Kegged - Cold IPA, NEIPA, Fieldberry Wheat, Dark Abbey Ale, Apple Pear Cider, American Lager, American Stout, Belgian Wit

kenny10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ken McCulloch

Post by kenny10 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:12 pm

Great rye presence from the aroma that carried in to the flavor. Enjoyed the hop pairing too. Solid beer!

Blake

Post by Blake » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:08 pm

I liked this upon first taste. Murky brown accentuated by rye spice and bitterness. Perhaps the yeast contributed to a bit of excess bitterness. Nice beer though.
"You don't buy beer here -- you rent it"
Written wisdom in an English Pub water closet

marko
Name: Mark Landry

Post by marko » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:02 am

I compared this to bourbon soaked peaches. an absolutely incredible beer. Rye IPAs are one of my favourite styles, and this accentuates everything I love about them.

Return to “Recipes”